The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time!

5 posters

Go down

Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time! Empty Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time!

Post by MrsGrey Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Oops I just posted this in the wrong place...

Hello again Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time! 70932 As I said in a previous thread, my Duetto was not charging from the EHU on a recent trip. OK on alternator charge though. My local mobile campervan fixer has checked and indeed it is something to do with the charger from mains to the leisure battery.My leisure battery is in the cupboard under the cooker (Zig 7?) But we couldn't find the charger FUSE. Does anyone know where it might be? The guy said it would seem odd to put it in front of the driver's seat, as then the wiring would go all the way from the mains input, up to the front seat for the fuse, and back to the charger and battery units in the cupboard. :confused3:He said that would be taking safety to extremes (re risk of fumes from battery exploding if the fuse blows...) I'm reluctant for him to be replacing the charger if it could be the (unchecked) fuse...Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time! 1087272891 
Any experience here?
Thanks!

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time! Empty Re: Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time!

Post by brodco Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi wave

Just pulled me flippin van apart!   shrugg Assuming yours is the same and it probably is:

The wiring is very simple (and sensible as it happens). The mains comes in at the EHU and all the wiring is close to it under the sink and cooker.

The Zig unit is fitted with a captive black mains cable that is taken to the mini “consumer unit” in the next compartment under the sink.  That cable is not more than about a metre long. There is no actual fuse as such but the cable will be protected by one of the trips.

Assuming none of the trips have tripped, my advice would be to take the cover off of the consumer unit and check for 240V on the cable with a meter.  Obviously get somebody competent to do it if you’re not happy working on mains.

Off to put me van back together now. hugegrins 

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time! Empty Re: Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time!

Post by MrsGrey Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks Brod. My cable is white but the arrangement seems to be the same., None of the trips had tripped and there was no current passing (the mobile guy tested it) so it looks like it is the charger. :( Apparently they are expensive....
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Davismo Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi,

The Trooper has the same arrangement. The mains from the hook-up connects directly to an RCD. That supplies 2 MCBs, one for the 240v socket, the other for the charger & fridge.  So if your engineer has checked the MCB it may be the charger unit.

Looking on the Internet it seems as though the Zig X7 units can be a bit fragile, but before condemning it, I would suggest checking whether there is an output from the unit, if none I might be inclined to remove the cover and see if there is an internal fuse.

Lastly, if your unit is kaput, there are lots of threads on the Net that suggest alternative manufacturers may be able to supply better units at a lower cost.

KR, Dave
Davismo
Davismo

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 am

Zig charger repair service.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 am

Paulmold wrote:Zig charger repair service.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
OK thanks. I'll follow up...broomstick
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Mains charger unit again -- fuse this time! Empty Charger Unit T4

Post by topazmoray Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:08 am

Following on from your enquiry. I have just found my charger unit under the false floor in the wardrobe. The charger unit has a small fuse inside which is accessible (with a little finesse) through the wire cage that protects the circuitry. 
If you are looking for a replacement as the old ones (ie 10years ago) are unavailable then Numax do a connect and forget unit for about £60.

kg:up!:
topazmoray
topazmoray

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman

Back to top Go down