The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up

4 posters

Go down

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up Empty Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up

Post by RS49 Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Advice please, 2000 year Harmony with Zig X-7 unit. When hooked up to mains, if I switch the charger switch on it immediately trips the 6A MCB. when I switch the charger switch off and reset the trip the fridge, 12v lights and pumps all work. Has the Zig unit blown or could it be something else? I have very limited electrical knowledge.   scratch head
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up Empty Re: Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up

Post by Roopert Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Yes - sadly it suggests a failure within the X-7. It's not the only possibility - there could for example be a fault in the MCB, or possibly a fault on the 12V side of the X-7, but neither are likely, and it's hard to see how the latter could exceed 6A on the mains input side.

The definitive answer would be to take it out and test it on the bench, but all the signs are that it's failed.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

brodco likes this post

Back to top Go down

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up Empty Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up

Post by RS49 Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks Roopert, I'll have a look for another one new or refurbished, probably the latter given the age of mine.
Rod
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up Empty Re: Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up

Post by brodco Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:28 am

Hi wave

Roopert wrote: possibly a fault on the 12V side of the X-7, but neither are likely, and it's hard to see how the latter could exceed 6A on the mains input side.

Agreed  almost impossible in fact,  even if there is a short across the output it will just sit there out putting 12A.

The odd thing is that the Zig has an internal fuse that I would expect to blow but perhaps the trip is “faster” blowing than the fuse.

Roopert wrote:The definitive answer would be to take it out and test it on the bench, but all the signs are that it's failed.

up! Agreed again (bench or kitchen table). Sounds like a short on the input side. I’d remove the unit put a plug on it and run it on household mains (and expect a flash from inside the unit as the fuse blows).

Might be a bit dodgy for someone not confident with electrickery though! shrugg

That said the problem has to be somehting very simple (e.g.bridge rectifier or switching transistors). I might be worth giving these people a ring for a quote before you buy a new unit (but do check the MCB first).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by RS49 Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks for the encouragement to do it myself Brod, If I can't find a replacement I'll have a look inside, I'm just not very confident in my electrical knowledge. I'll start ringing round tomorrow (your suggested contact 1st) to see if 'opportunity knocks'  snigger.
Rod
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RS49 Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:18 pm

I've managed to find a new Zig X70 unit to replace my X-7 (I understand from Widney Leisure (Zig) is a direct replacement). I ordered it from Rainbow Conversions on Wednesday 21st and it arrived today very well packed. Thank you Rainbow I'm very impressed, installing on Monday.

Just to note in case others need one, I found some other mail order internet suppliers, I've listed them below:
Horizon Leisure.
Outdoor Bits.com
Motorcaravanning.co.uk
Rainbow Conversions (my supplier).

I think I had the last of Rainbow's current stock but it seems they are still being made and Grove Products among others can supply the trade, and will happily tell you their outlets, X70 is a Zig replacement for several older power supply/charger units.
Thanks for the opinions and advice. Happy camping.
Rod
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:37 pm

O'Learys also have the X 70.

As an aside, you mention Grove products, they are owned by Trigano, just like AS.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RS49 Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Yes I did try O'Leary's who asked me to ring the next day as they might be able to help, but when I phoned back I was told they couldn't get them. Don't know if that was a supply issue, company policy or too busy.

I found every company I rang were all really helpful and did their best to find an answer, all of them offered another supplier phone number or name.
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up Empty Harmony charger issue - sorted

Post by RS49 Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:48 pm

And finally - New Zig X70 fitted and everything now works again, what a relief. 
Thanks for the advice and opinion, this Forum works very well giving both advice and encouragement.
Rod
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Harmony charger issue on mains hook-up Empty Harmony 2002 Battery Charger Missing

Post by RS49 Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:00 am

RS49 wrote:I've managed to find a new Zig X70 unit to replace my X-7 (I understand from Widney Leisure (Zig) is a direct replacement). I ordered it from Rainbow Conversions on Wednesday 21st and it arrived today very well packed. Thank you Rainbow I'm very impressed, installing on Monday.

Just to note in case others need one, I found some other mail order internet suppliers, I've listed them below:
Horizon Leisure.
Outdoor Bits.com
Motorcaravanning.co.uk
Rainbow Conversions (my supplier).

I think I had the last of Rainbow's current stock but it seems they are still being made and Grove Products among others can supply the trade, and will happily tell you their outlets, X70 is a Zig replacement for several older power supply/charger units.
Thanks for the opinions and advice. Happy camping.
Rod
Actually my wife found the suppliers online, Paulmold added supplier O'Leary's and Roopert and Brodco offered advice for my problem as well. They all have greater technical expertise than me, but the fact I received help was a great encouragement to me  up!
Rod

Last edited by RS49 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : first attempt at a quote reposted whole thread - Got it wrong)
RS49
RS49
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down