The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery charging/Fuse unit location

4 posters

Go down

Battery charging/Fuse unit location Empty Battery charging/Fuse unit location

Post by trekker Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:38 pm

I have a recently acquired 2010 registration Symbol, and excellent it is too.  But I am puzzled about the elec controls fit, and onboard battery charging.

Electrical Controls fit

The Autosleepers Manual (2008MY version) says that it has:

1. touch screen display
  2. an RCD with main switch and 3 MCBs  
  3. a PDU 4M Power Distribution Unit (diagram says made by Bonus Plug-in) "with a built in 18A three stage battery charger that works in conjunction with the touch screen display" and that is supposed to have 12 fuses on it

In reality, in the vehicle
The touch screen display is obvious (above rear doors); the RCD with main switch/3 MCBs is under the oven; but I cannot see the Power Distribution Unit with 12 fuses.  What there is, near the RCD unit, is a Bonus Plug-in 18A 3 stage charger which does not seem to have fuses.  A separate leaflet describes it as CTSAN 18A 3 Stage Leisure Battery charger.

Question 1:  Is there anyone with an Autosleepers van conversion of similar vintage (2008-2010) who has a similar fit (it looks to be original) and can tell me where the 12 fuses/PDU are?  I have looked high and low, and cannot see them. 

Battery Charging
The vehicle has started well in the 3 months since I have had it, until yesterday when I had to jump start it.  The battery may have had it because it is probably 5 or 6 years old like the van but I ran it yesterday for 130 miles and it seems ok again.  I leave the vehicle with all power switched off, just hooked up to 240v to run a 240v dehumidifier.  But now I intend to leave the Bonus Plug-in 18A 3 stage charger switched on.  Two questions:

Question 2:  If the touch screen display is set to charge a particular battery, is that setting retained and connected when the display is switched off (hibernated) to save power?

Question 3:  I thought that these 3 stage chargers were supposed to be 'smart' Is it really necessary to tell them which battery to charge (through the touch screen display) when they are powered on and connected to a hook-up?  Can't they just switch over themselves (seems not)?

Wisdom appreciated!
trekker
trekker

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2010 Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Battery charging/Fuse unit location Empty Re: Battery charging/Fuse unit location

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:54 am

It sounds as if you have the MES electrical system:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Go right to the end of the thread linked above.  The fuses are probably under the drivers or passenger seats.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Link to handbook

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Battery charging/Fuse unit location Empty Re: Battery charging/Fuse unit location

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by trekker Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks for that, Peter .  I'll have a look under the seats later.  Just to make it clear, although the split charger unit fitted is a Bonus Plug-in 18A one (it is also labelled "Volta" on the casing), it is not part of any power distribution unit with integrated split charger which is described in my van's manual.

The handbook link you kindly provided is to the Touch Screen Display User Guide, and it is slightly different to the functions of the one on my van.  In fact in this case the Manual which came with my van actually seems to be right (!) for the Touch Screen Display fitted!

This is all a bit of a voyage of discovery.....
trekker
trekker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 am

Just to clarify; "split charging" refers to the output from the engine alternator being fed to both the vehicle and the leisure batteries whist the engine is running. The onboard mains charger only charges one battery at a time depending on the switching. Some newer systems charge both at once.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:49 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from Leicestershire wave.

Our 2011 Symbol has the "Sargent" setup so I'm not able to help with your problem, however what is strange is that the Auto-Sleeper online handbook which describes my conversion is titled "2009 Handbook"

Sorry I can't help ... Jeff

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by trekker Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Just to clarify; "split charging" refers to the output from the engine alternator being fed to both the vehicle and the leisure batteries whist the engine is running.  The onboard mains charger only charges one battery at a time depending on the switching.  Some newer systems charge both at once.

OK thanks again.  The AS Owner's Manual does say "Operating Instructions for MES Control Unit" but no further reference to MES.  So presumably it is MES fitted.  I will have to get used to manually switching the onboard mains charger (i.e. the Bonus Plug-in Volta CTSAN 18A 3 Stage Leisure Battery charger - that is marked 230v AC input, and 13.6-14.5 DC output) while on hook-up to keep the van battery topped up as well.  Presumably the MES touch screen panel just directs the output from that.

But I still cannot find a power distribution unit with fuses!  The connection diagrams show "fuseblock" so it must be there somewhere.  I looked under bith front seats - not there like the Merc is that other thread.  This Symbol has swivelling seats, and unless a PDU/fuseblock is only visible/accessible by unbolting a seat and lifting it out (unlikely) it's not there. They haven't stuffed it in near the van fuseways, either.  So it must be hidden somewhere else, but it is definitely not in the same cubby as the RCD/3 MCB unit & the CTSAN charger which is the obvious place.

So I am stumped as far as the fuse unit/PDU is concerned unless someone has a Van Conversion with a similar fit.  Perhaps I need to call Auto-Sleepers direct.  I have the Electrical Installation Schedule & Certificate (no mention of what make of kit or which components are fitted) so if AS have records then they ought to know what was fitted, and to what layout.
trekker
trekker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:20 pm

01386853511 - AS Service Centre. There will be a build number on a label in the back of your glove box, give that and they can check what was fitted to your van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trekker Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Ramblers wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum from Leicestershire wave.

Our 2011 Symbol has the "Sargent" setup so I'm not able to help with your problem, however what is strange is that the Auto-Sleeper online handbook which describes my conversion is titled "2009 Handbook"

Sorry I can't help ... Jeff

OK thanks, nice to be welcomed Jeff.  Regarding the year discrepancy, my Symbol is registered 2010 but the handbook says that it is for Model Year 2008.  The electrical installation certificate is dated (end) 2008 as well!  The tyres have 2008 dates on them.  So I conclude that mine was built at Sevel in 2008, then it took nearly 2 years for Peugeot to sell it to AS, AS to convert it, then sell it to the dealer, for the dealer to sell it, and then register it.  So on the same logic, your 2011 registration may well have been a 2009 model year/build....Must be similar for ambulances, or any vehicles which are converted, especially being slow to process when the economy is a bit slow.  Good thing that corrosion protection is better than it used to be, because I suspect that we are all buying vehicles a bit older than we assume from the registration!  Best to put it out of mind I think.
trekker
trekker

Male

Back to top Go down

Battery charging/Fuse unit location Empty Sorted out now: inline fuses, not a PDU

Post by trekker Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Just to finish this one off, I rang Auto-Sleepers and they said that the fuses are inline, located near the leisure battery.  There is indeed a set of fuses on a little block tucked away in the jumble of wiring.  I have a photo on Photobucket but cannot link to it because I am a newbie and not allowed to.

I was told by Auto-Sleepers:
15AEbersbacher
220AEbersbacher
315AFridge
415AInterior Lights
510AToilet Flush/Water Pump/Water Level
65AIgnition circuits
710A 12v Socket
820AStep
and also there is a 50A fuse in there too, off the main feed to the battery
Blade fuses - 5A Light Brown, 20A Yellow, 15A Blue, 10A Red

In the tiny writing of the Wiring Diagram in the Manual, there are also 8 fuses described (not the 12 fuses shown in the Power Distribution schematic 6 pages earlier) and the Fuse allocation is in fact very similar to what I was told:
15AEbersbacher
220AEbersbacher
315AFridge
415ALights
510AToilet, Pump,Water Level
65AAppliance igniters
710A 12v Socket & TV Feed
820AAdditional Lights, Extractor
There is enough in this info to work out what's what.  I will put an addendum in my manual and a label on top of the battery compartment, which really should have been done in the first place.
trekker
trekker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trekker Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Here is a pic of the fuseway.
[url=https://s1130.photobucket.com/user/catseye8/media/SYMBOL/2008MY SYMBOL FUSES][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In fact it looks like a connector because only the back of it is visible amongst a jumble of wires - but once grabbed hold of and turned round, all is revealed.
trekker
trekker

Male

Back to top Go down