The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning

4 posters

Go down

Awning Empty Awning

Post by algy Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 am

Hi does anyone have a small porch awning for their A/S,I have been looking around wanting something easy to erect with only fibre glass poles,but all the ones I look at are only upto 2.4m high and looking on the websites my Harmony is 2.67.So if anyone has bought one could you let me know the make please,...thank you...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Re: Awning

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Algy,
Are you looking for a drive-away awning or a caravan porch awning. Either way, when the height is given of an awning it is the height of the awning rail to which the awning will be attached not the total height of the motorhome or caravan. My Symphony's awning rail is 2.1 metres off the ground so that is the height I would need. When choosing one, bear in mind the sliding door, not many awnings, particularly drive-away ones, have a 'tunnel' wide enough for the door to open without it ripping into the tunnel.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Thanks

Post by algy Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Oh I thought it was the height of the roof,I am looking for a drive away,we had one on the camper but it was 3m square,so to big now,I just fixed that on the gutter with a figuire eight,what about the type that you throw a guy line over the roof and peg it down,Ilooked at the post regarding fixing a j rail to the side.dont know whats best really...by the way I folloewd your advice about hot water and the switch with the green light and I am happy to say it works great so thanks for thatt....regards..Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:44 pm

A lot of people have the movelite XL which is 3 metre square so its possible it would fit but as you say I think they are rather large. Also a lot of people buy drive-aways and then decide they don't really need one, have you seen how many appear on ebay having been used 'only 2 or 3 times'. We have looked at many different awnings and decided that all we need is a small tent ( an Outdoor Revolution Outhouse XL as in my avatar photo) or a small dome tent which is what we tend to use now. It's big enough to chuck the chairs, water containers, levellers if not needed, small BBQ etc when we go off-site and light and small so as not to take up too much room when travelling. We also have a light-weight sun canopy that attaches to the J rail but we have hardly used that. We have that because our van does not have a Fiamma fixed and I certainly wouldn't pay £500 or so to have one fitted. If our next van has one on already, all well and good but I wouldn't pay for one.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Thanks

Post by algy Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:05 am

We really need a drive away small awning because we take our dog away with us he is very large and very very hairy,so he sleeps in the awning,because of that a seperate tent wouldnt work.I will email Ebay sellers and make sure whichever awning is best fits the van.I have seen the movelite but to big,I fancy one of those Kyham easy erect but again to big...thanks again...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Awnings

Post by Alf Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 am

Algy before buying from ebay look here these are all from motor caravaners so will be more than helpfull allthumbz
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Thanks

Post by algy Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks Alf i'l take a look
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:07 pm

algy wrote:We really need a drive away small awning because we take our dog away with us he is very large and very very hairy,so he sleeps in the awning,because of that a seperate tent wouldnt work.I will email Ebay sellers and make sure whichever awning is best fits the van.I have seen the movelite but to big,I fancy one of those Kyham easy erect but again to big...thanks again...Algy

Hi Algy
We have a Movelite Square for our Symbol. It's an ideal size 8' X 8' (we have a big dog too!!!) The awning is really sold as a smaller van size. but provided you fit it up to a figure of 8 connector it wont hit the sliding door. ( It got caught in side door and tore prior to getting the fitting kit) twiddle_thumbs But it is a good awning, fairly easy to erect. with plenty of openings.
plattypus
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Thanks

Post by algy Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Unfortunately my Harmony dosent have a rail to fit the figure eight to,does the awning have eylets or guy ropes to throw over my van and peg down...cheers..lgy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 am

Yes it does have eyelets and guy ropes, so could be thrown over
plattypus
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty thanks

Post by algy Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Cheers I will have a look at those then....Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Algy will not the figure of 8 fit on the top of the black plastic gutter or could you not fit an awning rail to the black trim this would be better than throwing ropes over the roof ?

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Thanks

Post by algy Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Alf...no already tried the figuire eight you would think it would fit but it dosent,I looked at chriswilly,s awning rail and that seems good so maybe thats the route to go down...cheers Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Awning

Post by algy Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Plattypus I have looked at the Movelite square,it looks about spot on for us,but your also righ to say it is sold for VW'S and other small campers,can you tell me have you an awning rail fitted and what height is it,also what a fitting kit that stopped your slidfing door catching the awning..cheers..Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down