The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning

+2
chalkywhite
Sapper
6 posters

Go down

Awning Empty Awning

Post by Sapper Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 am

Morning all, Just wondered if someone could recommend a small awning for our new WXL. Not really looking for a drive away as once we're set up on site,  we don't generally move until it's time time to go.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Awning Empty Re: Awning

Post by chalkywhite Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm

We use a pop up tent or what ever you like to call it. We like it as its easy to put up and down, no messing with poles. It has mesh sides and you fit removable covers as needed. We tend to fit the covers on 3 sides and drop them half down for ventilation when needed. Quest leisure products - Instant screen house - 120053 - screen house 4. Other sizes available.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:14 pm

The only problem with a separate unit that doesn’t actually connect to the van is the fact that some sites treat them differently to an actual awning regarding extra site charges or in some cases don’t allow them at all!

I was all set to buy something similar as it fitted our needs 100% until I checked the booking T&C’s on a couple of our regular sites.
Don’t get me started...grrr smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 pm

I've also use a screen hse 4, it's easy and works very well. I haven't had a problem but if I did I'd choose another site and make sure they knew why.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm

I agree some sites say no gazebos and some ask for a payment. Question is how do you define what is a gazebo and what is a tent.  Maybe  a tent you sleep in.  But why no charge for an awning and if allowed charge for a gazebo ?. The reason I was told  no gazebos was to many have blown away.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:15 pm

Yes I guess if it's a really cheap gazebo it may well blow away. It may be better to describe it as as a standalone utility, storage and rest room tent. I'd trust my screen hse in strong winds as much as most awnings.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:19 pm

The annoying thing Chalky is that on more than one occasion, due to the connecting tunnel (from our law abiding awning to the van) making so much wind noise on night one, we have unzipped it completely for the rest of our trip and the wardens didn’t mention a word.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:26 pm

Yes I think maybe tell them its a tent and make them tell you why its not. Could be an interesting conversation.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

woodlice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:38 pm

Ha ha, I bet the O/P is really confused now!

Personally, if I was back in the same position again, to be honest I wouldn’t know what to do. 
If you generally camp on regimented sites then I would spend the money and get an awning that connects to the van. If not then definitely go for a separate unit as you have plenty of choice at a decent price.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 pm

We’ve used our Quest pop- up screen house on several UK Club sites, both CC and C&MC and never had a single comment from those in charge. We have had it up at the same time as the roll- out awning as well which was useful to connect the two. 

In Spain it has been up for months at a time even in winter gales and, while we criss- crossed the top with ropes protected with foam swimming tubes to stop chafing, we were never worried that it would blow away and it was always dry inside even in appalling weather. We used it to eat and cook in and for shade and storage.

Great inventions and we wish we’d bought one many years ago.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

woodlice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 am

Quilter wrote:We’ve used our Quest pop- up screen house on several UK Club sites, both CC and C&MC and never had a single comment from those in charge. We have had it up at the same time as the roll- out awning as well which was useful to connect the two. 

In Spain it has been up for months at a time even in winter gales and, while we criss- crossed the top with ropes protected with foam swimming tubes to stop chafing, we were never worried that it would blow away and it was always dry inside even in appalling weather. We used it to eat and cook in and for shade and storage.

Great inventions and we wish we’d bought one many years ago.

Thanks for that buddy, is yours the Screen House 4 or 6?

Thanks also to all the others who have replied, a great help allthumbz
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:33 am

Screen house 4, with the external covers. We take a couple of light tent poles and these can be used to lift the front cover to make and awning
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 am

Quilter wrote:Screen house 4, with the external covers. We take a couple of light tent poles and these can be used to lift the front cover to make and awning

Hi again, Me not knowing anything about the screen houses, when you say external covers, is that on all sides? if so I take it you use one of these to lift up and over the door way perhaps?
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:21 am

Sapper wrote:

Hi again, Me not knowing anything about the screen houses, when you say external covers, is that on all sides? if so I take it you use one of these to lift up and over the door way perhaps?

The covers- basically a large waterproof sheet that velcros on each side of the screen house - are identical and can be bought as extras in sets of 2 or 4.  I think ours came as an offer with the tent itself but that is not  always so.

We lift the front in order to make a shaded sitting out area or the sides to shade the inside of the tent. If we are on hardstanding it is easy enough to tie guy ropes to a convenient hedge or tree to lift the side.  The sides are made of reflective material so the inside of the tent stays reasonably cool. There are hooks inside so we can hang lanterns or lights for use at night.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:19 am

We use an outdoor revolution turismo air awning on our WXL ,only weighs about 18kg when packed and find it gives us the extra space,  it’s a drive away too but doesn’t have to be used as one , here I have the awning beading threaded in to the channel on the omnistore awning
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Awning F805c610

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:41 am

Thanks for that buddy certainly looks interesting allthumbz
Sapper
Sapper

Male