The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water ingress ..windscreen seal or not

2 posters

Go down

water ingress ..windscreen seal or not Empty water ingress ..windscreen seal or not

Post by westy Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

i am going to attempt the water ingress problem on our boxer 2000 ....i noticed that when i loosened the allen key bolts on the scuttle the rubber against the windscreen came away very easily ..does this mean when i use the sikaflex t o seal the pipe and put back the scuttle i have to use a sealant or not against the windscreen ?....any advice would be appreciated...... jeff.
westy
westy

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol

Back to top Go down

water ingress ..windscreen seal or not Empty Re: water ingress ..windscreen seal or not

Post by chrisvesey Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi,
I didn't seal the rubber to the screen but I did seal the other side under the bonnet so that any water which gets between the rubber and the screen or in my case through the allen bolt holes has to run out of the ends of the scuttle,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

water ingress ..windscreen seal or not Empty Re: water ingress ..windscreen seal or not

Post by westy Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

thanks chris ...i havent removed it fully yet ...but take note of what you say ...thanks
westy
westy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi,
Watch out for the screenwash pipes, I trapped the offside one when I put it all back. The main thing is to make sure you get a really good seal around where the pipe joins the scuttle,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by westy Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm

chris apart from the pipe ...i did the water test down the screen and noticed water coming through the gap around where the scuttle meets the bonnet ...where you can see the pipe.. did you use sealant around this aswell ..if this makes sense...jeff
westy
westy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi,
There should be a rubber seal on the top of the scuttle which seals between the scuttle and the bonnet. I also noticed that water could run into the allen bolt holes and drip out at the point where the scuttle joins the body. Obviously you can't seal it completely but I did seal it were it was dripping onto the air cleaner,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Westy
Having done this on a previous van, you want to seal as much as you can to prevent the 'waterfall' from the scuttle, including seal to screen.

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

water ingress ..windscreen seal or not Empty re rubber seal

Post by westy Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 am

chris /john just to let you know i removed the scuttle yesterday ....sealed the pipe .....the rubber seal was perished ,so i had to manufacture one to fit and just used a small amount of sikaflex...but did not seal to windscreen ...did the old water test this morning and no water on the air filter ...just a very tiny amount on the the battery side ...do you know of a cover for the battery?? regards jeff
westy
westy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi,
I drilled a couple of holes in the plasic scuttle so that any water threatening to overflow at that end ran into the channel where the bonnet fits, also cut a slot in the battery tray so that water couln't build up in it,
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

water ingress ..windscreen seal or not Empty re battery

Post by westy Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:24 pm

chris ..thanks for the comments and your help...its good to know that another symbol owner is willing to help a novice ...and finally fix a problem that i have been worried about ..regards jeff.
westy
westy

Male

Back to top Go down