The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water ingress

3 posters

Go down

water ingress Empty water ingress

Post by fenderbender Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:07 am

I have a water leak above the windscreen on the symphony, the headlining is wet on both top corners.
I have resealed across top of windscreen and also along the join of guttering, and have enlarged the drain holes slightly to make sure any water runs straight out,
it leaks when driving or parked, can't think of anything else, anyone any ideas.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

water ingress Empty Re: water ingress

Post by Shuggiegreen Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:15 am

When I bought my van I looked at a Symbol and it was leaking at the top of the windscreen at both corners I was thinking had I bought it I would have had the windscreen removed and resealed.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:23 am

Hi there,

Probably an "irrational fear", but on "Petal" if I had any water ingress at the front I would immediately suspect the daft little radio aerial stuck up on the front of the cab.

If you have one I suggest that you just check out that the seal hasn't perished or that it hasn't come loose.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 am

Hi, not the aerial its wing mounted. Thanks anyway.
Ive thought about refitting the windscreen as a last resort but i'm not sure thats the problem, as a temporary fix i smeared silicone all around windscreen between the rubber and metal and rubber and glass and it made no difference, ive since cleaned the silcone off, ive even tried spraying a waxoyl type spray into the gutters till its runs out of the drain holes. I've just been out to check after last nights heavy rain and there's a small puddle on the drivers side floor, the passenger side headlining is just damp.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:05 am

Dave,

Sorry I couldn't help to find the source but one thing I do know is that you can't delay in getting it sorted! look here look here

Leaks can be hard to trace and even the logic of "Water can't run uphill." is flawed because of the "wicking" ability of many materials.

It's a heck of a nettle to grasp, but finding the source and curing it very soon is an absolute requirement to prevent long-term and permanent damage to the van.

Best of luck with your search! think_smiley_46 think_smiley_46

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Well i'm running out of ideas now, yesterday i had a new windscreen and seals fitted, its been raining for the last hour or so, ive just been out to have a look inside the van and its still leaking.
When they took out the old screen the surounding metal was fortunately all sound and rust free so i had a feeling that was'nt the problem.
So far the gutterings have been sealed, the rubber joining strip over the windscreen has been resealed, even round the top side windows in case it was running forward on the inside of the roof, but even with the front on ramps it still does it, so im sure it must be at the front.
Apart from taking the van to florida or dubai i cant think what else to do.
Will recheck everything again when it dries up.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Finally sorted, it turned out to be the small gap, about 1/4",between the rubber joining seal over the windscreen and the edge of the gutter, it had a sliver of old silicone on it which i thought i had removed so no matter what i put over the top, water was still seeping behind.
Have used a small bead of black mastic for now but may take it out and use sikaflex.
I can now get a good nights sleep. Happy days.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:26 pm

fenderbender wrote:Finally sorted, it turned out to be the small gap, about 1/4",between the rubber joining seal over the windscreen and the edge of the gutter, it had a sliver of  old silicone on it which i thought i had removed so no matter what i put over the top, water was still seeping behind.
Have used a small bead of black mastic for now but may take it out and use sikaflex.
I can now get a good nights sleep.  Happy days.

Dave
Dave,

Well done!  Perseverance is the key to solving many problems. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down