The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip

2 posters

Go down

Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip Empty Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip

Post by aqv1957 Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am

Morning, all. I know someone here will have the expertise we don't have. Our 1994 Trooper is lacking the seal or strip above the windscreen (not the seal that goes round the window glass itself but the strip that fits between the two black plastic bits that curve round the body and end on each side above the screen. I'll try and attach pictures of a Trooper with one in place and one of ours, showing the lack.)

My question is, amongst the myriad bits of kit you can get from seals direct (here: https://sealsdirect.co.uk/seals-products.asp?intDepartmentId=8), I have no idea which one will do the job. Anyone have experience of this, please, and can guide us? 

(Please click the link below to view. No idea how to attach a pic of our van confused3 )

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip Empty Re: Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip

Post by Roopert Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:27 pm

I should start by saying that I've never owned a T4-based Trooper but... as I understand it, this "seal" is purely cosmetic. The actual (hidden) seal itself is applied by A/S before the roof is installed.

So the question is: what do you want to achieve? The appearance of a seal, or additional sealing?

If the former, it's not really that critical what profile you use, provided it looks Ok from the outside.

The one thing I would urge you not to do is to try to install anything by pushing it into the gap, because you must not do anything that has even the slightest chance of damaging the paint there - because if you start to get rust in that joint it's an issue that is very very hard to resolve. If I were doing that job myself I would use a PU-based adhesive sealant, taping the seal in place temporarily while the adhesive sets.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

aqv1957 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip Empty Re: Trooper above-windscreen rubber seal/strip

Post by aqv1957 Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Thanks for the tips, Roopert. Out own Trooper is sound but the strip has peeled off at some stage, leaving an intermittent black line, which is unsightly. It certainly needs smartening up.
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by aqv1957 Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Just had a very helpful email in response to my enquiry, from Andy at campervancoachworks.com. He's told me exactly what part to order from sealsdirect and how to fit it. Could not have been more helpful, so worth a recommendation.
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks for the update - did he recommend a self-adhesive strip, or one that you have to glue on?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by aqv1957 Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:54 pm

It's actually a push-on one which clearly fits onto the metal flange that's sticking out - not near the window seal, so I don't think that contradicts the advice you gave. Let me know if you think that's a rubbish plan!
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:57 pm

No - it sounds like a good plan. I didn't realise there was a metal flange! So their advice is obviously the one to go with, not mine. If you can post a link to the strip itself or a product ref for it, that may help other T4-based Trooper owners in the future.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by aqv1957 Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Good thought, Roopert: I've ordered ET57 Titanfast clip on edge trim from here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by aqv1957 Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:31 pm

I'll try to remember to post about how it goes......content
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by aqv1957 Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Well, one day later, job done! The seal (ET57 Titanfast clip on edge trim) from sealsdirect was perfect, slipped on to the fibreglass flange with a bit of pushing (increasing my confidence that it wouldn't come off), and improves the look immediately, whilst protecting the metal underneath.
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Thanks - with the product ref, you can even get it from Woolies at £1.50 a metre (plus postage, of course).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down