The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fitting caravanstore type awning

5 posters

Go down

fitting caravanstore type awning Empty fitting caravanstore type awning

Post by gunfiresix Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 am

Good day to members . I wonder if I can fit a caravanstore type awning. to left hand side of my Autosleeper symphony, do I have to use fig 8 connection and will it fit over the black plastic strip around roof ? Also there are four bolts screwed into the van in sets of two about five feet apart on the black trim,with black caps over them, one set is below wash room window, the other below small side roof window, above sliding door are these for mounting a fixed awning help, Alex
gunfiresix
gunfiresix

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony

Back to top Go down

fitting caravanstore type awning Empty Re: fitting caravanstore type awning

Post by mikejack Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am

When i fitted a caravan store to my last van(panel van conversion) i got a length of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and just screwed it direct to the fiberglass high top with stainless screws and it was ok and never fell off the awning is in a zipped bag and just slides onto this rail and comes with 2 end stops you screw into the rail to stop it sliding off when on the move.
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

fitting caravanstore type awning Empty awning

Post by gunfiresix Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for reply, don;t really want to drill if possible. don't think OH would be happy. I think it is possible I can use a fig 8 connector , over rim but don,t know, Alex
gunfiresix
gunfiresix

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by mccormw Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 am

Does it need to be a fixed awning? Have you had a look at freestanding jobbys? We used to have a VW T2 conversion and we had a freestander and it was great, it had the added advantage that you could drive away and your spot would be reserved.

We are currently considering buying one of the Lillypad windblocker shades to add to our roll-out awning. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mccormw
mccormw

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

fitting caravanstore type awning Empty caravan store awning

Post by geoff brooke Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 pm

you cant avoid drilling but if you fix a reinforcing plate to the inside of the van it will be ok...use silkaflex seler or fit plastic caravan awning rail..still requires self tappers... seal as above.
have used caravan store and like it...good value also asnd can be removed if you buy / sell anothher van
word of caution !!
its very heavy to roll up single handed...you need two people to roll it up perfectly straight so it fits into bag...also the velcro straps holding it in place when rolled up can be a bit fiddly as its so heavy ( the front roll is very substantial alloy profile )
good luck
geoff brooke
geoff brooke

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick duo xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Caravanstores are heavy. I would not want to put such a strain on the black strip. Have you considered a sunshade awning such as the Isabella Shadow... shown here.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The price is stupid for what it is, starting at £129 (I paid £59 for a Reimo version, shown in my avatar, but unfortunately no longer available) but this type is really lightweight.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down