The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What type of awning?

5 posters

Go down

What type of awning? Empty What type of awning?

Post by harrysp Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 am

We’re going to get an awning for our first PVC and are unsure what is the best type. It’s a Vantage Neo on a 6.4 Fiat Ducato, so I hope you don’t mind me asking!  Do we need a drive away or will a fixed awning work, e. g. Kampa Air 260.. It will only be used on one site for about 8 weeks, so we won’t actually be driving away. Any advice appreciated.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

What type of awning? Empty Re: What type of awning?

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:58 pm

If you have a sliding door the fixed awning will not work unless you get one with out the center roof support beam and there is enough room to place an air beam next to the opening of the sliding door

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:23 pm

We have used an awning for all the years of owning a M/H. But have never found the need to connect it to the van, in fact my wife cut that bit off, makes it lighter and easier to pack away.
Works great for us as a stand alone unit.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:28 pm

rgermain wrote:We have used an awning for all the years of owning a M/H. But have never found the need to connect it to the van, in fact my wife cut that bit off, makes it lighter and easier to pack away.
Works great for us as a stand alone unit.
---------
Richard

We do exactly the same thing with our Kampa Rally awning, makes life much easier.
DeeBee

Male

Vehicle Year : 2022

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:49 am

We have had a Ventura Freestander for about 10 years.    We use it when on a site for a long time and it’s very good.    We have a bedroom attachment for it as well.

Thinking of buying an inflatable awning - more space and easier to put up.   Heavier single package though and the head room is less.       Current favourite is the Movelite T4E PC but going to the NEC show next week to look at others.

Re connecting it, if you haven’t got a connection point on the van, I think you can buy a magnetic strip with attachment points.    Alternatively straps over the van and pegged down
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:15 am

Billy Ruffian wrote:We have had a Ventura Freestander for about 10 years.    We use it when on a site for a long time and it’s very good.    We have a bedroom attachment for it as well.

Thinking of buying an inflatable awning - more space and easier to put up.   Heavier single package though and the head room is less.       Current favourite is the Movelite T4E PC but going to the NEC show next week to look at others.

Re connecting it, if you haven’t got a connection point on the van, I think you can buy a magnetic strip with attachment points.    Alternatively straps over the van and pegged down
We looked at the T4E PC  but it’s huge so opted for the Cayman Combo PC  and porch doors , it was a bonus to find that the inner door panels open right up to increase the living space with the porch door fitted

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:03 pm

Sorry, I forgot all about this post. Thank you all who replied. We bought a Vango Kela inflatable drive away awning from eBay, and have managed to put it up at home- avoids the campsite embarrassment, at least we hope so. I really like the idea of not attaching it and using it as stand alone. But for now we’re going to use it as an awning in Spain.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down