The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996

+4
boxerman
Admin
peugeotboxer
gunfiresix
8 posters

Go down

spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996 Empty spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996

Post by gunfiresix Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:22 pm

I wonder if members could advise. I have a 1996 auto sleeper symphony. It has been converted to LPG, and the tank occupies the spare wheel bay, This leaves only the alternative of an inflater kit, which while quite good would not repair a sidewall fault . Therefore my question, and I am sure of others, is where can I get a spare wheel bracket or adapter that fits on the back door? It has also been suggested by contacting adverts in MMM that a space saver wheel might be suitable due to the lighter weight on door. Any advice, or ideas where to buy. or what to do.As many users are now going for LPG conversions, and may have the same problem. Alex
gunfiresix
gunfiresix

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony

Back to top Go down

spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996 Empty Re: spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Alex

Spend a moment to introduce yourself:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996 Empty Re: spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996

Post by Admin Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

Alex not sure if this helps, but check this link on ebay

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:36 am

That seems to be what Alex is looking for. It would need to be mounted on the nearside door, as the offside door is only secured by the lock in the middle whereas the nearside one has bolts top and bottom. It will also need to be high enough to clear the the number plate.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Don't forget, wheels are pretty heavy and a door bracket would be a long way off the ground. OK if you use a breakdown service as their guys are pretty strong.
A space saver would be easier to handle, but as our vans are close to maximum payload I would be reluctant to go that way myself. Most Motorhome builders fit higher spec tyres than normal vans. I assume the reduced speed wouldn't be an issue.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by SJR Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm

In over twenty years of driving, doing many miles a year, I have only had one puncture that required me to change the wheel. I know that tomorrow I will now probably have two. snigger
Two of my cars don't have a spare, but I feel that with one puncture in twenty years I can risk it. I do however buy decent tyres, keep them at the correct pressure and don't let them get to the minimum wear level.

SJR
SJR
SJR

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm

matchlessman wrote:Don't forget, wheels are pretty heavy and a door bracket would be a long way off the ground. OK if you use a breakdown service as their guys are pretty strong.
A space saver would be easier to handle, but as our vans are close to maximum payload I would be reluctant to go that way myself. Most Motorhome builders fit higher spec tyres than normal vans. I assume the reduced speed wouldn't be an issue.

The majority of 4x4's have their spare on the back door and they are bigger/heavier wheels than ours, so I see no problem lifting one down. Have you ever tried to lift the underneath ones back into place, now that's heavy!!
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

spare wheelcarrier rear door AS Symphony 1996 Empty Spare wheel carrier

Post by maddenstown Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Saw this on Ebay; looks quite neat and good value at £24.99 plus £7.99 P&P.
maddenstown
maddenstown

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Flair

Back to top Go down