The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1995 Symphony little low on rear

5 posters

Go down

1995 Symphony little low on rear Empty 1995 Symphony little low on rear

Post by johndean Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi All

Now finished completly rebuilding my 1995 A/S Symphony too standard condition, however she is a little low on rear end, does anyone know of a reasonable answer to raising a little without going into great expense any ideas welcome.

John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : !2019

Back to top Go down

1995 Symphony little low on rear Empty Re: 1995 Symphony little low on rear

Post by roli Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:51 pm

There has been debate on this John over the merits of different options earlier in the year /late last year

- replacment springs
- air assistance ie Airides or similar
- Grayston spring assistors - probably the cheapest option if its not too bad

One option I have never seen mentioned was adjustable shockers (ie Monroe Load Levellers), I fitted some of these in our tugging days to a Volvo estate to stiffen the back end with a mortgage, would think these are second cheapest option.

Some of the AS Boxer coachbuilts had a natural rear end up, sounds like you could do with this on your van !!

roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:53 pm

johndean wrote:Hi All

Now finished completly rebuilding my 1995 A/S Symphony too standard condition, however she is a little low on rear end, does anyone know of a reasonable answer to raising a little without going into great expense any ideas welcome.

John Dean
Hi John,
What would you consider great expense? I fitted an air assistance kit on our '95 Symphony for the same reason. It has the added advantage over other systems by being adjustable just by putting more air in or letting some out.
I think the cost was around £300, about 5 (or even 6) years ago. I also fitted a gauge & taps for each side with the pipework brought forward to the drivers footwell.
I got mine from Marcle Leisure [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and it looks like the basic kits have gone up in price somewhat since I bought mine.
There are other places that do these kits and maybe one of those would be cheaper?

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

1995 Symphony little low on rear Empty rear end low

Post by johndean Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi All
Thanks for the info and input ref Symphony rear end low
Because this vehicle is only slightly low we didnt want to spend £100's of pounds to correct it.
My son who is director of parts at Peugeot came over today and suggested a couple of options 1) to fit a helper spring part number5102.G0 2) fit a longer spring assistor 130mm long part number 5166.50 which we have had a look at and might help, however the price is £76.78 better than £200/£300 for airrides. He also found these assistors from a non-Peugeot supplier at £23.00 each even better, so might try these first and let you all know the outcome.
We are only looking at a 10mm/15mm increase in height.
Regards
John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

1995 Symphony little low on rear Empty Re Rear end low.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi,

Interesting posts re suspension. As a matter of interest my 1999 Symphony (Pug 270M) rides "tail high" -there is approx 2 ins difference back to front in height.

The rear suspension is quite stiff, which I would expect on a medium wheelbase van, but there do not appear to be any assisters or the like fitted.

I would be interested in any comments from other 'Symph' owners re ride height and stiffness of suspension?

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:43 pm

This is common Mike now this is fresh, watch how many Boxer owners look at you on the road !!!
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

1995 Symphony little low on rear Empty Symphony slightly low on rear

Post by johndean Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi All

Got the longer spring helpers from my son at Peugeot today. Set about fitting them but the worse part of the job was trying to remove the wheel bolts. Who ever fitted the wheels on must have had 3 shredded wheat that day.
Removed the short spring helpers ( some might call them bump stopps ) which was straight forward enough, jacked up the body to give room to get the longer new helpers in, refitted all wheels tighten to correct torque. She looks better, they only rise the body 10mm but that was all I was looking for. Tried to put photo's on here but that's another story. haven't road tested yet but got all the gran kits to get in back plus wife and bag of cement and she didnt look to low. the cost of the spring helpers were £40 for pair ( not peugeot which were £80.00 ). Can't say this will help others because some look much lower than mine. but seems to have worked for me. I did go and have a look at a load of new Peugeot vans and they all had the longer spring helpers however a couple of motorhome's had the short one's. By the way these longer spring helpers sit on the spring all the time same as new vans do ( no gap as motorhome's seem to have ). Regards John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 pm

roli wrote:There has been debate on this John over the merits of different options earlier in the year /late last year

- replacment springs
- air assistance ie Airides or similar
- Grayston spring assistors - probably the cheapest option if its not too bad

One option I have never seen mentioned was adjustable shockers (ie Monroe Load Levellers), I fitted some of these in our tugging days to a Volvo estate to stiffen the back end with a mortgage, would think these are second cheapest option.

Some of the AS Boxer coachbuilts had a natural rear end up, sounds like you could do with this on your van !!

As far as I know the Graystons are only for coil springs - also, adjustable dampers won't affect the ride height - it'll still be the same height.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Don't throw those 'short' spring helpers away johndean, I could do with them to lower the back end of my Symbol. It would save me the hassle of using ramps every time! Mind you, for all I know my Boxer might have the shorter helpers anyway. content
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

1995 Symphony little low on rear Empty rear end slightly low

Post by johndean Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I still have the short rubber rebounds if you wan t them. see my other website for e-mail aeddress, send me a E-mail and I will return some photo's also you will see a map of my location [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
johndean
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down