The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

+11
deckie
johndean
modelman
chrisvesey
marc4242
bertb
peugeotboxer
Enn
woodlice
newterry
Flying High
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty PEUGEOT BOXER WATER LEAK ONTO GEARBOX

Post by newterry Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:28 pm

The photo is a bit crude but follow the green splodge from top to bottom as the pipe disappears behind the gearbox which is out of sight at the bottom of the picture. The original pipe would have probably stopped at the bend.
Now for a rant- Having seen what can be done, why on earth wasn't it done on the production line and it wouldn't have cost more than a packet of Gitanes ??!!
My Boxer was built in April 1998 and AS did the Harmony bit in June 1998. We bought it from new in April 1999 so it was sitting in a field somewhere for an entire winter with water dripping onto a new, immobile gearbox .. censored!
At the risk of repeating myself, its a pity we didn't have proper 'tinternet back then as Peugeot would have got a right 'seeing to' !!- rant over !

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 WaterEvacPipe_zpsd1637018

This a classic case of how good this forum is, nice one Mike allthumbz

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

Post by Flying High Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Terry, nice one, hope you now have a dry gearbox. lets_dance

Your pipe is in a different position than mine looking back to my original pictures, as I said mine goes behind the air filter and yours goes down the back. When I got the new pipe I spent ages trying different positions before I settled on my mod behind the filter. Now I am not saying yours is wrong or mine is right, as long as the water is directed away from the gearbox that's all that matters. big thumbs up

Could you do me a favor next time you lift the bonnet and just check that the pipe is not rubbing on the engine or gearbox, I'm sure it isn't, just that I don't want to give the wrong information to others who might do the modification later on.

Best regards, Mike courtesy

Ps there is of course John who has a son working for Peugeot, perhaps he might know studying
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty PEUGEOT BOXER WATER LEAK ONTO GEARBOX

Post by newterry Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 pm

I've got some time tomorrow, I'll double check to make sure there's no problems, if there is/are, it's going back in Monday for this intermittent and elusive coolant light, so there's an opportunity to reposition the pipe.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

Post by Flying High Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Cheers Terry, just wanted to make sure.

Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Mike,
Just checked the pipe route and it's not touching anything apart from the bottom end, from the lumpy bit onwards, resting against the back of the gearbox, does that sound OK to you ? scratch head

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 pm

newterry wrote:Mike,
Just checked the pipe route and it's not touching anything apart from the bottom end, from the lumpy bit onwards, resting against the back of the gearbox, does that sound OK to you ? scratch head

Hi Terry, I think it it the wrong way round, mine is along under the scuttle and down behind the Air filter, the gearbox might make a hole in it over time, sorry. Take another look at the original pics and send me you address via email and we can chat about it. I will give you my phone number if you like so you are armed for Monday. rolleyes

Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:50 am

Opps.,

Sorry Terry, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi,
Finally had a decent day and got the pipe fitted, took about an hour, I agree with Mike about routing it under the air cleaner and then down against the radiator, bit of a pain but got there in the end, thanks to all concerned,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:41 pm

well done Chris lets_dance

Best regards, Mike
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Mike & Winnie,

Followed your information as my speedo stopped working sure enough more water than oil in gearbox, it looked like milk, drained the box and filled with

fresh oil , fitted new gearbox speedo drive cog and the modified pipe as per your information now works great, smoother in the gears and the water draining

near the radiator away from the gearbox, looks like no damage to the gearbox thankfully will now check the oil every six months,

Thank you for such detailed information,

allthumbz

Regards Pat & Mags
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:15 am

Hi Pat and Mags,
just glad to have been of help to a few people who have done the mod. lets_dance

Just checking on your speedo repair, was there a steel thin washer between the green drive and the white housing?

Best regards, Mike, Sue the wife and Winnie the Symbol van courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty PEUGEOT BOXER WATERLEAK ONTO GEARBOX

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Mike & Sue

Funny you should mention the thin washer, yes there was until I lost it! at the same time I ordered the new pipe I also ordered the new

washer, however they do not sell single ones at 29p so I had to buy a bag full.

I did say to the spares guy if they run short he has my telephone number lol4 if you need one just let me know and i will send you

a couple in the post no problem.

Best regards
Pat allthumbz

WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 am

WEXFORDBELLE wrote:Hi Mike & Sue

Funny you should mention the thin washer, yes there was until I lost it! at the same time I ordered the new pipe I also ordered the new

washer, however they do not sell single ones at 29p so I had to buy a bag full.

I did say to the spares guy if they run short he has my telephone number lol4 if you need one just let me know and i will send you

a couple in the post no problem.

Best regards
Pat allthumbz

Hi Pat, I have just had a brainwave, girl-thinking what's stopping us selling in parts on here, I mean I have NINE cupboard catches for a Symbol. Autosleeper only sells them in TENS, perhaps a moderator can pop up and suggest what we could do? police

I mean we would not have to sell them at a profit, just cover the cost and help fellow owners in the process

[/quote]
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am

Now that sounds a good idea.

Although we do have a 'For Sale' section on the forum

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

peugeotboxer wrote:Now that sounds a good idea.

PB

Hi PB. this is not for profit just to help each other out.

Let's see what the powers to be say scratch head

Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer water leak on to geaqrbox

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Mike,

Not a bad idea handshake your original question was about the washer did you need one of not, i think the washer is just to create a

bearing surface to stop the wear.
regards Pat
confused3
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 pm

WEXFORDBELLE wrote:Hi Mike,

Not a bad idea handshake your original question was about the washer did you need one of not, i think the washer is just to create a

bearing surface to stop the wear.
regards Pat
confused3

Yes that's true, my drive melted after a clutch change and the washer was missing. I ended up with a gearbox oil leak.

censored! and had to fit a new speedo drive, white mount, washer and green drive, I was not at all happy with the dealer which was 100 miles away so I gave up and did the job myself although the dealer paid for the drive and I had to fork out for the cable.

I have a couple of those rubber pegs that connect the drive to the housing, I think we had to buy five and I only needed one.

I think the small swap with no profit is a good idea and people seem to be getting multiples of parts when they only only want one and it seems a shame to throw parts away or keep them forever.

I await a moderator to comment. studying

Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Flying High wrote:
peugeotboxer wrote:Now that sounds a good idea.

PB

Hi PB. this is not for profit just to help each other out.

Let's see what the powers to be say scratch head

I realised it was 'not for profit'
The items 'for sale' could be advertised as FOC smile!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

New water evacuation system all fitted and working well, even put one in on the off-side. I got a bit carried away though while stripping bits out and removed battery tray and support tray, steel turbo pipes, power steering bottle bracket and some other small bits - blasted back to metal, treated, primed and resprayed.
All back in and looking good !! smile!

One question though - I wish to change the gearbox oil and seem to have a couple of options for drain and filler plugs. Can anyone enlighten me as to the correct ones?

Best wishes
Enn
Enn
Enn
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer water leak on to geaqrbox

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Wed May 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Enn,

On my 1.9 Symphony I filled the gearbox up by removing the reversing switch which is threaded into the gearbox (as stated in the manual), as it was awkward confused3 to

get to I formed a section of 10mm copper pipe (spare from my central heating system) and put it in the hole and on the other end i fitted a small funnel to fill up with .

The drain plug is on the bottom of the gearbox and requires a square drive to remove it, the level drain plug is directly above it a couple of inches away this will also

require the square drive, slowly fill the oil until the level overflows, on some gearboxes i think that a dip stick was fitted the quantity of oil required will depend on what gearbox

you have fitted.

Hope that this is of help goodluck allthumbz

regards Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Well done Enn,

Glad the article helped and it hopefully saved some people some money.

@ Wexfordbell, thanks for giving the advice on filling the gearbox.

Have a lovely summer everybody, I think it may be here.  BBQ 

Best Regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Yes thanks Pat for the advice, I've not had chance to look at the oil change yet.

One other vehicles I've always filled the gearbox through the oil level side plug until it comes out, is this not possible on the Boxer?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for all the info.  I had heard about water in the engine area but to be honest not taken much notice.  That is until this week when the speedo packed up on my 2006 Boxer  censored! 

unfortunately due to disability I can no longer do any of the work myself so it's stuck in the garage awaiting the parts.  Will print out some of this section and photos and have a chat to my garage see what they can do for me (and how much) confused3 Maybe also get them to look at the oil etc

thanks again for the info
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty side level plug

Post by woodlice Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi, I have also always used the side level plug on other vehicle gearbox's when filling is it not the case with the Peugeot.

scratch head
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 4 Empty re: Peugeot Boxer water leak onto Gearbox

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi Dencol,

my advice is to deffo change the oil as the speedo breakage is the first sign of water in the gearbox, the drive on the

speedo suffers from a lack of lubrication due to the watered down oil resulting in snagging which breaks the aged plastic

drive, two litres of gearbox oil is a lot cheaper than a gearbox!big thumbs up 

I am taking my new gearbox oil on holiday to the south of France tomorrow can,t wait.BBQ 

Good luck:good2: 

regards Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4