The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

+11
deckie
johndean
modelman
chrisvesey
marc4242
bertb
peugeotboxer
Enn
woodlice
newterry
Flying High
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 3 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

Post by Flying High Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 am

Did you manage to do the mod Chris before the snow came?

Best regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 3 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox

Post by chrisvesey Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,
Not done yet, to perishing cold censored! will no doubt get it done soon. At the moment plan B is still in operation, a groundsheet stretched across between the wing mirrors to prevent the majority of rainwater running into the scuttle, roll on summer, snowing outside,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm

No problem Chris, it is chucking it down with snow here in North Kent, we are on the top of the North Downs. cold

Hope this soon goes away, when is the summer comming?? BBQ

coffee_drink Cheers

Best regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 pm

[/quote]
The design of the vehicle does NOT stop water from entering the engine bay which it will. The Pipe however restricts the water around the gearbox area which is the whole point of the exercise. Just a final comment, re bonding of the pipe at the top, I used a rainwater gutter sealant in a spray can to do this. (I will check the can and post the name tomorrow)

[/quote]

Interesting thread.
The design of the scuttle on all Boxers, (even the latest incarnation), leaves a lot to be desired. It would seem that Peugeot/Fiat solutions over the years has been to cover the parts that may be hit by running water from the scuttle rather than solving the problem. I spent many hours on a 2008 Nuevo replacing the scuttle and designing a drainage system. It was about 95% effective, but its incredible to think that the manufacturer still won't fix the poor design. I have a family member who is a mechanic in a main dealer who spends hours fixing problems (mechanical and electrical) on these vans, due to water ingress, and its the customer who pays!
Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi,
I would imagine that the majority of these vans would have been left hand drive and would have had the drain hose we are fitting as standard, probably some money saving person thought the cheaper pipe fitted to rh drive vans was a good idea,
regards,
Chris
(still freezing cold but not snowing rolleyes )
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Hoopman,

I think is is not only the design of the Boxer van Scuttle that is at fault, you have to consider the Auto Sleeper conversion design as well.
The water on the roof of these vans is considerable, you only have to brake hard in the poring rain to notice the amount of water that the roof deposits onto the windscreen and into the scuttle which then has to find a way out without depositing the water onto the gearbox. The water is directed onto the screen by the two Auto Sleeper side gutters which only allow water out the back of the gutter and down the windscreen.
Ideally the van should have had TWO scuttles and TWO drain pipes to drain the water instead of penny pinching with one having to remove all that water. That is why the battery suffers from water ingress as well.
The left hand drive pipe that I recommend at the beginning of the thread does a good job if it is sealed into the scuttle and also cant be knocked easily if any work is carried out under the bonnet.

Best regards, Mike courtesy Still snowing cold
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 3 Empty Peugeot Boxer water leaks on gearbox

Post by newterry Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Right, buckle up for a larf- I did the watering can full of water down the scuttle check today and there was water everywhere !!
During either the clutch replacement last year or the new rad going in later, someone had bent the water evacuation pipe into a capital N shape censored! sensored1
The outlet end of the pipe was facing upwards and of course it was kinked, full of ice and naturally split- all in all about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.

So, that explains why the beautiful gearchanges I had after the new clutch went in having gradually deteriorated back to square 1.

When I go to see the garage tomorrow about the coolant issue I'll be nailing somebody's bits to the floor until the LHD pipe is ordered and a quote for fitting. I'll also now need another gearbox service and oil change -spitting sensored1 feathers !!!

I'm orf for a lie down ..............

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:21 pm

You certainly deserve that lie-down, Terry .... Enjoy allthumbz smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 3 Empty Peugeot Boxer water leaks on gearbox

Post by newterry Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks Deckie, I'll keep you posted. allthumbz

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 pm

newterry wrote:Right, buckle up for a larf- I did the watering can full of water down the scuttle check today and there was water everywhere !!
During either the clutch replacement last year or the new rad going in later, someone had bent the water evacuation pipe into a capital N shape censored! sensored1
The outlet end of the pipe was facing upwards and of course it was kinked, full of ice and naturally split- all in all about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.

So, that explains why the beautiful gearchanges I had after the new clutch went in having gradually deteriorated back to square 1.

When I go to see the garage tomorrow about the coolant issue I'll be nailing somebody's bits to the floor until the LHD pipe is ordered and a quote for fitting. I'll also now need another gearbox service and oil change -spitting sensored1 feathers !!!

Oooooh!! That hurts just thinking about it!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

May I suggest that you talk "Free replacement." and "Free service." and "Free anything else."? allthumbz allthumbz

It won't hurt to make your feelings known and where you think the blame lies as all they can do is say "No!" wave

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 pm

newterry wrote:Right, buckle up for a larf- I did the watering can full of water down the scuttle check today and there was water everywhere !!

Hope they accept their responsibilities for the problems they have created. If you have a negative response in any way from them (and all else fails shrugg ) suggest take copies of digital photos of their 'handiwork' exactly as you discovered it telling them and proving you have a pictorial record, ideally if you have any 'legal costs cover option' on your insurance say they will need to expect a full claim of all costs for remedy of the problems caused directed to them through this.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Ian, having thought about it and the way it was folded up and pushed to the nearside suggests it might have been the clutch boys last year and that was a FOC new clutch assembly under warranty or when they replaced the injector spill pipes. I'll probably never know, they'll never 'fess up anyway and they are down in Gosport!

My local 'technicians' are around the corner.

(By the way I've printed off your list and mikethebike's suggestions for a free and frank conversation for the coolant issue).

up!

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Took the Harmony to the garage today (for the coolant issue described elsewhere) and raised the issue of the water evac. pipe. On the basis that I don't know 'whodunnit' to start with, I took the view that as this garage was the last one under the bonnet so 'theydunnit'- which they accepted !

I'm paying for the L6 longer pipe, which I would have done anyway, they will fit it FOC, including re-greasing all the gearbox linkages and check the gearbox oil for water while they're sorting out the coolant issue next week.
The guy ordered the pipe today from Peugeot and it will be with them on Friday, £18.50 inc VAT.

Bit of a result, I think! allthumbz

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 pm

newterry wrote:Took the Harmony to the garage today (for the coolant issue described elsewhere) and raised the issue of the water evac. pipe. On the basis that I don't know 'whodunnit' to start with, I took the view that as this garage was the last one under the bonnet so 'theydunnit'- which they accepted !

I'm paying for the L6 longer pipe, which I would have done anyway, they will fit it FOC, including re-greasing all the gearbox linkages and check the gearbox oil for water while they're sorting out the coolant issue next week.
The guy ordered the pipe today from Peugeot and it will be with them on Friday, £18.50 inc VAT.

Bit of a result, I think! allthumbz

Great news Terry,

Are you taking the pictures to show them how it goes? It took me a while to fathom it out to start with.

Sorry Terry, you mentioned the printout in the last post

Good luck courtesy

Best regards Mike
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09 pm

One for the Good Guys!! allthumbz allthumbz

Well done. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 am

Mike, thanks for the reminder about the photos, good thinking. What we need is a removable top grill to the scuttle, but that would be too easy !! I must remember about the sealant too.

Thanks to the core of experts (like yourselves) on this forum we have the collective knowledge to get things done. I would have been none the wiser on any of this stuff, let's hope they live up to their promise.

Cheers guys, allthumbz

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:10 pm

newterry wrote:Mike, thanks for the reminder about the photos, good thinking. What we need is a removable top grill to the scuttle, but that would be too easy !! I must remember about the sealant too.

Thanks to the core of experts (like yourselves) on this forum we have the collective knowledge to get things done. I would have been none the wiser on any of this stuff, let's hope they live up to their promise.

Cheers guys, allthumbz

Well done Terry and getting the old girl fixed, glad to of been of help.
Just for the record I have never owned a Motor Home till late November of last year and I really love the Symbol especially it being to thin on the road. I love tinkering with it and since I joined the forum I love it even more. Great site and I am learning fast, pulled the panel off behind the Shower today to see if there was extra storage and yes enough for a few tools, skid ramps for getting you out of muddy ground plus a warning triangle.
At B & Q I met a chap and as you do got talking and he is living in the van at the Motorway services legally for £7 per night while he waits for his flat in a couple of weeks.
Can't wait for the summer and the open road.

Best regards Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks Mike, I did the bathroom panel on the Harmony when we first had her back in 1999, used the (400 x 400mm ) cut out as a door into the space. I did the same on our Dorset back in 2004, a very handy space !
But, back on topic, I hope the garage lives up to its promise next week.

I've been on this forum since we got the Harmony back with us in 2011 and the help from everyone has been fantastic. I hope I've been able to chuck my tuppence worth in on the odd occasion as well!

I must say I don't fancy living on an MSA for a few weeks even for £7 a night, judging by the truckers stories, he'll be lucky if he keeps all his fuel, wheels and valuables !!

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 3 Empty PEUGEOT BOXER WATER LEAKS ON GEARBOX

Post by newterry Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm

A new LHD Water Evacuation Pipe has been fitted and the pipe has been routed down behind the gearbox and sub-frame using the part number quoted in this topic. No labour charge as in previous post.
Job's a good'un !

Last edited by newterry on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry, senior moment, wrong reply to this topic !)

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 pm

newterry wrote:A new LHD Water Evacuation Pipe has been fitted and the pipe has been routed down behind the gearbox and sub-frame using the part number quoted in this topic. No labour charge as in previous post.
Job's a good'un !

Great news Terry, a result at last.

Best regards Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer water leak onto gearbox - Page 3 Empty PEUGEOT BOXER WATER LEAKS ON GEARBOX

Post by newterry Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:48 pm

The Water Evacuation Pipe was done at the same time as the Coolant Sensor so when the 2 invoices were untangled there was actually a nominal £10 labour charge as explained under the separate 'Coolant Sensor' topic. Its still a good result though as there was just under an hours work to get it installed. I'm happy with the outcome and grateful to the forum for the advice as I would still be in the dark regarding the Evac Pipe.

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:15 am

Glad it's all sorted, Terry allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am

Just wanted to thank you for this post, especially the info regarding the hose part number allthumbz . I collected my'n yesterday from Peugeot, will fit it soon.
I expect Peugeot are wondering why they are having so many orders for these all of a sudden.

Mike and Winnie you should ask for commission. good2

thanks
Enn
Enn
Enn
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks and all credit must go to Mike (Flying High) who kicked all this off. I've just done an item for the ASOC Newsletter (which has been accepted) and have included the info on the Water Evac. Pipe from here.
When I get a chance next week I'll try and attach some green 'frog tape' (posh masking tape !) to show the route down through the oily bits and post a photo on here. No holding yer breath though, it'll be Wednesday at the earliest...... up!

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks to you all for the mention I actually enjoyed the challenge and I also think this forum is great with everyone so happy to help each other, so lacking in today's society.

Still very cold here in the Southeast but we have been away for Easter so it hopefully can only get better.

Best regards, Mike, Sue and Winnie courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next