The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th gear

+5
dandywarhol
Dutto
DuxDeluxe
gj1023
woodlice
9 posters

Go down

5th gear Empty 5th gear

Post by woodlice Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 am

Hi all

I was just wondering at what speed you change up into 5th gear. I tend to change up at about 40mph on the flat. I've had water ingress into my gearbox because of a leaking scuttle which has now been sorted. But I have been depressing myself by reading all the problems people have had with gearbox's and in particular 5th gear. I hope that on a van conversion the problems would be reduced. What do you think? wave
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

5th gear Empty Re: 5th gear

Post by gj1023 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:45 am

I change up at 40 plus and down when down to 1500 rev in 5th

Gary
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 am

Much better to not let the engine labour at low revs - I always try to keep it in the power band and when I change up depends upon "feeling" as much as anything else
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi there,

Day One - Minute One and my Driving Instructor told me:

"This car is my living. I will decide what top speed you will go at and in which gear; but you will NEVER run the engine in ANY gear with less than ONE on that dial there! The dial dial shows how many thousand revs the engine is doing."

He then explained the workings of an engine/gearbox combination and the stresses that entailed. Apart from a few juddering moments round tighter than expected corners I cannot recall running an engine in gear at less than 1,000 revs even going downhill.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS I was a Policeman at the time I took my Driving Test. On the day I realised that my Examiner lived in the same town that I was policing. up!

As I threw my helmet into the back seat and looked at him over the roof of the car we just knew that I wasn't going to fail. hugegrins hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:03 pm

If the van has been sitting for a length of time its best to stay in 4th for a few miles to ensure the gearbox oil gets splashed around the 5th gear assembly, which is on the outside casing on most 5 speed PUg/FIAT/Citroen/VW boxes. The oil can drain from 5th when standing for weeks at a time.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 pm

dandywarhol wrote:If the van has been sitting for a length of time its best to stay in 4th for a few miles to ensure the gearbox oil gets splashed around the 5th gear assembly, which is on the outside casing on most 5 speed PUg/FIAT/Citroen/VW boxes. The oil can drain from 5th when standing for weeks at a time.

I agree Dandy. There are so many references to the Pug 5th being a 'bolt-on' to an existing 4 speed box and the design and lubrication compromises which then affect 5th gear. At the end of the day the more torque going through a gear the greater the wear and loading upon bearings. Accordingly, my policy is to accelerate in lower gears, then to shift to 5th to sustain the speed. I don't see a problem in going slowly in fifth if the engine can handle it, but only at low throttle levels.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Bartfarst wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:If the van has been sitting for a length of time its best to stay in 4th for a few miles to ensure the gearbox oil gets splashed around the 5th gear assembly, which is on the outside casing on most 5 speed PUg/FIAT/Citroen/VW boxes. The oil can drain from 5th when standing for weeks at a time.

I agree Dandy. There are so many references to the Pug 5th being a 'bolt-on' to an existing 4 speed box and the design and lubrication compromises which then affect 5th gear. At the end of the day the more torque going through a gear the greater the wear and loading upon bearings. Accordingly, my policy is to accelerate in lower gears, then to shift to 5th to sustain the speed. I don't see a problem in going slowly in fifth if the engine can handle it, but only at low throttle levels.

Bartfarst

Aye - but there'll be less torque going through the 'box in 5th winks

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:23 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Aye - but there'll be less torque going through the 'box in 5th winks

Well yes, in fifth there will be less torque going through the gearbox as a whole and, in particular, the final drive. However, without wishing to state the obvious, fifth gear is only used in fifth. Therefore it will have been designed to handle a range of torques experienced by that gear all the way up to peak engine torque which, for a common rail, is across a fairly wide engine speed range. My point is that generally to give fifth, which is dodgey by design, the best chance of a long life, it simply might be best to minimise the torque put through it by going easy on the right foot.
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm taking your point Bartfarst but the "bolt on" 5th works pretty well and is strong enough for white van man - it's when the van isn't used much the problems can arise

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am

Dandy,

Sorry to be picky but the various information I've seen doesn't as much relate to lack of use as to the way in which it is used.

Your average "White van man" will not be the owner and will be wanting to complete the job ASAP and get home, preferably whilst having as much fun as possible using someone else's fuel. So generally high revs, low gears and foot to the floor: this is the 'fleet' condition the vehicle is (or should be) designed for. i.e. fifth for high speed cruising, and engaged so the driver can hear the radio better.

Your average motorhome owner is the reverse of WVM: low revs, high gears and generally easy on the right pedal. The manufacturers probably don't design or test for this. As I understand it, it is tootling around in fifth at low revs using the available torque from the engine at these revs to go up hill and down dale that contributes to the problem. Sure the problem will be exacerbated when the oil is thick when the gearbox is cold. Hence the general advice to minimise use of fifth until the van has warmed-up.

Bartfarst

Last edited by Bartfarst on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 am

Hi Bartfast

Agree 100%

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Ok.Happy Motoring

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:11 pm

woodlice wrote:Hi all

I was just wondering at what speed you change up into 5th gear. I tend to change up at about 40mph on the flat. I've had water ingress into my gearbox because of a leaking scuttle which has now been sorted. But I have been depressing myself by reading all the problems people have had with gearbox's and in particular 5th gear. I hope that on a van conversion the problems would be reduced. What do you think? wave

I usually select 5th at about 40mph

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

5th gear Empty 5th Gear

Post by newterry Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:49 pm

I prefer 5th Gear and Vicky B-H rather than Top Gear any day !!! hugegrins

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down