The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit?

4 posters

Go down

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? Empty Fiamma pull out awning how to fit?

Post by mal6186 Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 am

my 93 T4 trident passed MOT today (no advisories even!) so now enthusiastic about one or two improvements. Fiamma or similar awnings would be one - how do these fit to my high roof? I have a j shaped strip for canvas tent/awning rail - would I still be able to use this tent awning with Fiamma style awning fitted to side of van - want pull out awning for quick/short stays but need tent/drive away awning for kids when we stay a few nights somewhere. Experience or advice appreciated.
mal6186
mal6186

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? Empty Re: Fiamma pull out awning how to fit?

Post by CC Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Mall

Really easy, the awnings are screwed to 2 "L Shaped" brackets that bolt onto the side of the GRP roof beneath the side window vents. The bolts go through to the inside where a steel plate reinforces the fixing inside which you then push a plastic cap over to hide bolts.

When we replaced ours last year I fitted an additional bracket in the center to help support it but Fiamma only supply 2 with the 3mtr T45i that we purchased.

The awning has a slot so you can slide in an awning rail apparently. Will post a couple of pics up for you in a while if it helps?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue May 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Just re-read your post and I'm not certain if you mean you already have a wind out awning fitted and you just wish to fit a driveaway awning to it? or if your Trident doesn't actually have a Fiamma awning fitted and you do indeed wish to fit one, so excuse me if I've misunderstood smile!

In case it is the latter.... Here is a pic of the the awning showing the mounting brackets outside & inside with the cover

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? Eu0c9g

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? 2gyc7sn

And in this pic is the slot that accepts an awning rail, never used this myself but also would like a driveaway awning that fits in the same manner

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? Qoyuxd

Waves recently posted the pic below (a Fiamma part) for the purpose, that slides into the slot

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? 2wdyno8

Hope this somehow helps

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mal6186 Tue May 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks for that. I don't have fiamma style awning fitted yet - I currently have j shaped rail fastened to high top that attaches to drive away tent awning. Presumably I will need to remove this to fit Fiamma one and then drive away awning will attach direct to Fiamma as in your diagram/photos. Are these brackets difficult to fit? I have small concern about the tent awning being fastened to the Fiamma wind out awning box which is only held by two brackets - currently the j rail is fastened at several points along its length - I'm just thinking of windy conditions (Scotland!) when the drive away awning is flapping about a bit. Thanks for your help - its much appreciated.
mal6186
mal6186

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue May 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Again Mal

If you ever have to lift one of the Fiamma wind out awnings you will realise just how strong the aluminum brackets are, it's a two person job to lift it onto the brackets (MrsCC Helped me) so you have no worries about the brackets and awning holding the driveaway awning securely to the vehicle.

The brackets are easy to fit, just make sure you get it level, the front bracket bolts (2x bolts per bracket) go through into the overcab locker, the rear ones go through to where the rear bunk is. As I said earlier Fiamma only supply 2 brackets but we bought an additional one for the center but don't think it's needed as Fiamma would supply a 3rd bracket if so. Ensure you get some sikaflex (Flexible adhesive) and put this behind the fixing plates prior to putting the bolts through, this gives the brackets a slight flexibility in the fixing, and also prevents any water finding it's way in. Also, I sealed the edges of the brackets (as in pics) to prevent any water ingress.

If you buy new the awning comes with all fixings and instructions, not sure but I think you get a paper template for the brackets (I never used them on ours as I was replacing the existing awning that got damaged and just needed to add the additional center bracket, but replaced the two end brackets at the same time so it was all new and matched.

As for attaching the driveaway awning to the front slot on the wind out awning I've yet to try this myself, but I'm sure others here must have some experience of this and can help further? I'm in the same boat myself as me & MrsCC ideally want one we can just slot into the awning rail, but without seeking professional help / advice really am not that certain myself.

For reference here is one of the bracket kits

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? 2ryil1s

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattybogle Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:23 pm

CC,
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've just bought a Fiamma F45s ready to fit to my Trident. Fiamma F45 awnings come with fixing brackets as you have shown in your photo. In the case of my 2.6 metre awning, three brackets complete with strengthening plates and white cover caps.
I have noticed that AS reinforce the nearside of the hightop as standard with a strip of batten about 10cm tall running the length of the high top into the forward storage area. This batten is not fitted to the offside. I am ordering Auto-Sleeper's wedges that go behind the brackets to keep them vertical.

When fitting the brackets, does the thin Fiamma metal strengthening (inside) plate sit on top of or behind the hightop lining material? What I need to know is do I have to trim away the lining material so the plate sits tightly against the inside hightop?

Any assistance appreciated!
Tattybogle
Tattybogle

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Tattybogle wrote:CC,
When fitting the brackets, does the thin Fiamma metal strengthening (inside) plate sit on top of or behind the hightop lining material? What I need to know is do I have to trim away the lining material so the plate sits tightly against the inside hightop?

The metal plates go over the upholstery panel (not behind) it's just a strengthening plate that the two bolts come through, then tighten your nuts and then clip the white covers on, there should be a solid fixing behind the panel as you describe (ours already had this) if not you will need to put some timber battens in to add some additional strength and spread the weight, a direct fix to the GRP hightop alone I doubt would be sufficient, take the interior panel off and check behind first if you are unsure, but with the batten you mention you should be ok

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattybogle Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. AS were very helpful providing me with details of their awning bracket 'wedges' (Auto-Sleepers part no FM014 9) but they come in pairs and I decided not to buy two lots for over £52 when I could make some. I made them out of an off cut of UPVC fascia board which is only 6mm thick so I 'laminated' several boards by gluing them together with waterproof high grab adhesive. I then cut them into the wedge shape with my mitre saw and tidied the ends a bit with car body filler and white spray paint.
I've never seen the AS parts but these match the two 120mm and one 80mm Fiamma brackets supplied with the F45S. The wedge doesn't quite give the vertical fixing surface that Fiamma dictate but it's not far off, although many awnings seem to be fitted without the wedges? I just need a bit of dry weather now to actually fit the awning.

Fiamma pull out awning how to fit? IMG_4045
Tattybogle
Tattybogle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi Tatty... your DIY wedges look pretty good up!

Our Fiamma awning had no wedges behind it oddly, but it performed and looked just fine all the same... Seems like you saved yourself a small fortune not getting the proper Fiamma ones, they certainly know how to charge for certain items don't they! Good luck with the fitting, two person job to lift up into position I found when I replaced ours so don't recommend struggling alone up!

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:36 pm

this is the type i have on mine slides into the c rail
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper T25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattybogle Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Job done. I ended up having to remove the nearside high top interior trim panel in any case. The gap was just to great between the outer shell of the high top and the trim panel so when the bracket nuts were tightened it distorted the panel too much. It means that the only fitting that can be seen from the inside is the one in the forward locker where there isn't a plywood trim panel. Quite an easy job really.
Tattybogle
Tattybogle

Male

Back to top Go down