The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospective purchase advice

+9
groundhog
Rocky
v8oholic
Sally
Bilbobaggins
Paulmold
Toffee
IanH
Stevee1
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Prospective purchase advice  Empty Prospective purchase advice

Post by Stevee1 Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:53 pm

Hi
Would be grateful for advice on anything I should be looking out for when viewing a 2014 Warwick XL 130BHP  ?
Stevee1
Stevee1

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Prospective purchase advice  Empty Re: Prospective purchase advice

Post by IanH Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:21 pm

MOT history
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Sally and Stevee1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:26 pm

Get underneath with a torch and look at the backs of the cills and the cill flanges for corrosion.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:45 pm

My Sussex is 2010 based on same Peugeot Boxer , mine on the LWB, the XL being on the ELWB, . I've had it 7 years and the only thing it's ever failed test was handbrake pulling up too far. Corrosion doesn't seem to be major on these Boxers, so check all usual things on base vehicle but check more inside such as Truma combi working on both gas and electric, cracked shower tray, step working etc .

Last edited by Paulmold on Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:49 pm

Check age of both vehicle and leisure batteries, underslung tank will be 10 years old, unless already changed this needs replacing at cost of approx £1000. Check fridge works on all three power sources, heating and water work on gas and electric. Also age and condition of tyres. Quality of build seems better than in newer vans so even if above need attention 2014 vans still a good investment if price right

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:12 pm

Corrosion can be a problem, there is a batch of vehicles that fill the cills with water every time it rains. It comes in from the rear wheel arches
Toffee

Male

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:37 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:Check age of both vehicle and leisure batteries, underslung tank will be 10 years old, unless already changed this needs replacing at cost of approx £1000. Check fridge works on all three power sources, heating and water work on gas and electric.  Also age and condition of tyres. Quality of build seems better than in newer vans so even if above need attention 2014 vans still a good investment if price right
Good point about gas cylinder, many vans coming up to the 10 year mark, any exterior sign of rust on the cylinder is a good negotiating tool.

Donator
Donator

Male

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:02 pm

Stevee1 wrote:Hi
Would be grateful for advice on anything I should be looking out for when viewing a 2014 Warwick XL 130BHP  ?
Dodgy salesmen telling you everything is perfect and even if it’s not, it all will be when you come to buy it!
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Bilbobaggins and Stevee1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevee1 Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:12 pm

Many thanks to everyone for there suggestions for what to look out for , seeing the van tomorrow will let you all know how I get on , Just one other thing any suggestions of a fair price to offer , the van is 2014 & only covered 18,000 miles MOT history all checks out , the seller is private & asking £42,000 ?
Stevee1
Stevee1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:26 pm

To me that's a dealer price. If he sold to a dealer he'd be lucky to get 34 so to me it's more like a 38k . There's a 2014 with 50k on ebay for £39k, and that's from a dealer. Remember you are getting no warranty.

Donator
Donator

Male

Bilbobaggins and Stevee1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevee1 Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:38 pm

Hi Paul 
That’s what I was thinking somewhere around 38k it is possible as the gas tank is just over 10years old that might want replacing at roughly £1000 , also I believe it could be on the original tyres to replace those is about another £1000 ?so will see how we go .
Regards
Steve
Stevee1
Stevee1

Male

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:41 pm

I wouldn’t be too swayed by low mileage, personally. The engine and drivetrain are built for huge delivery van mileage. Provided the service history is impeccable, then it’s not really an issue. Vehicles that aren’t used very much can suffer failures that higher mileage vehicles don’t. But more importantly, motorhome appliances and electronics are expensive, and low volume, and not always the most reliable. That would be the first thing I would look at. Does everything work? Otherwise it’s going to cost money to fix it.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:19 pm

Steve,

Lots of good advice above.  The only thing I would add (having previously had one that leaked), is to look carefully internally for any wood veneer that is raised or 'bubbling', and plastic trim around the veneer that is raised or distorted.  If there have been any leaks, it may also show up on the upholstery as well.

You don't want one that has a history of leaks.

Good luck!
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:34 pm

v8oholic wrote:I wouldn’t be too swayed by low mileage, personally. The engine and drivetrain are built for huge delivery van mileage. Provided the service history is impeccable, then it’s not really an issue. Vehicles that aren’t used very much can suffer failures that higher mileage vehicles don’t. But more importantly, motorhome appliances and electronics are expensive, and low volume, and not always the most reliable. That would be the first thing I would look at. Does everything work? Otherwise it’s going to cost money to fix it.
Excellent advice, I too believe very low mileage being a wonderful thing is a bit of a myth, just means the van has been stood around a lot which is not necessarily good for it. Price wise I cannot advise.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

v8oholic and Stevee1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevee1 Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:12 pm

Just an update on the van , I looked at the van today & it is immaculate inside & out , everything does work , has been serviced every other year as the owner doesn’t cover many miles per year , has never had a habitation check carried out in the 7 years he has owned it , I couldn’t see any signs of damp in the inside , I also had a look at the gas tank & it hasn’t got any signs of corrosion on the exterior, so am in a quandary , should I get an independent inspection done especially a habitation check ? or take a chance & buy it ?
Thoughts welcome .
Steve
Stevee1
Stevee1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:33 pm

No habitation check on my van for a number of years either, the way I look at it if everything works, there is no evidence of damp then what would a habitation check tell you. We will not all agree on this and only you can make the decision but I would probably tell the vendor I was going to have a habitation check and inspection, even if you aren't, using that to try to get the price down further!
If you are confident I would go for it and certainly wouldn't let the lack of a habitation check put you off.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

PLOUGHLIN, Tinwheeler and Stevee1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:36 pm

Only you can decide, Steve. Perhaps the previous owner was competent and did his own hab checks/maintenance and maybe you are similarly skilled.

I’m inclined to agree with GH. Things either work or they don’t but if you feel doubtful, it might be worth getting the gas system checked before you use it for safety's sake. We, too, never bothered with hab checks.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:51 pm

My hab check this year for WXL registered Sep2014 found

Fridge 12v element faulty
Fire alarm needs replaced in next 12 months
One light not working on extractor fan ( fixed with firm nudge with my fist!)
Gas regulator needs replaced in next 12 months, but no mention of gas tank!

As WXL is panel van conversion and not Coachbuilt damp not an issue.
Recognising caveat emptor and it has to be your decision, with my knowledge now if 2014 WXL I would go for it if you are happy with price. In June I insured mine for £44k which was average price dealers were asking on Auto trader for 2014 vans

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:03 pm

My hab check in spring this year highlighted that the water was not heating on mains - a new issue since the last use a few months previously, and that the fire extinguisher would expire before the next hab check. Everything else given a clean bill of health, including measuring emissions from the gas appliances, testing voltages and currents were in line with expectations, etc. Obviously, you could do most of it yourself. But if you want a bargaining chip with a seller, a professional opinion is worth more.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:08 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:As WXL is panel van conversion and not Coachbuilt damp not an issue.
The people who do my hab checks do now report the results of damp tests in PVCs, because Auto-Sleepers requested that they should start doing so, to maintain the warranty. I have had both rear door cards and seals replaced, and the sliding door card replaced and door adjusted, because of water ingress. You could get damp through improperly sealed roof fittings if you were unlucky. Once it’s sorted, it’s not likely to happen again though.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:25 pm

Stevee1 wrote:......  so am in a quandary , should I get an independent inspection done especially a habitation check ? or take a chance & buy it ?
Thoughts welcome .
Steve

Steve,

You have had some good advice on here.  If you think that buying it is 'taking a chance', but you like the van, then your main aim should now be to reduce your risk.

I agree that a gas check is essential, but a habitation check by a mobile expert would also prove useful to you, and provide you with either confidence in your purchase, or raise red flags for you to bargain with or give you a decision to walk away.  If the vendor does not like the idea of a hab check, then walk away.

Forget the heart, use your head.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:55 am

Stevee1 wrote:Just an update on the van , I looked at the van today & it is immaculate inside & out , everything does work , has been serviced every other year as the owner doesn’t cover many miles per year , has never had a habitation check carried out in the 7 years he has owned it , I couldn’t see any signs of damp in the inside , I also had a look at the gas tank & it hasn’t got any signs of corrosion on the exterior, so am in a quandary , should I get an independent inspection done especially a habitation check ? or take a chance & buy it ?
Thoughts welcome .
Steve
No one has mentioned the cam belt which must be changed every 10 years on my Boxer.  

You didn't mention the age of each tyre incl. the spare which is embossed on the sidewall.  If the heavy van has spent a lot of time sitting around not being used and exposed to u/v and ozone, which seems to be the case, tyres should be replaced when they are 5 years old and certainly no later than 7 years.  If the van has only done 14k miles there will be hardly any wear on them.

If it has a Truma Combi the two mains electrical elements have a short life and are about £800 to replace.  One of mine went after 4.5 years which required both to be replaced.  I doubt you had a chance of checking this but this is just the sort of thing a hab service should reveal.  Same with the 3-way fridge.  If you buy without a hab service, its the first thing you will need to pay for.

If they have owned it for 7 years I would expect them to tell you what they have replaced and what repairs they have had done.  For example, have the batteries been replaced.

Date of last MOT and any advisories is important to know as is the date of its next 2-year service

Last edited by Caraman on Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:41 am

Stevee1 wrote:Hi Paul 
That’s what I was thinking somewhere around 38k it is possible as the gas tank is just over 10years old that might want replacing at roughly £1000 , also I believe it could be on the original tyres to replace those is about another £1000 ?so will see how we go .
Regards
Steve
£1k is about right for 5 new premium all-season CP tyres e.g. Michelin Crossclimate Camping
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:10 am

When you buy anything and get it home you always see things you didn’t spot when viewing. 

If you get a hab check and it lists a few things that need attention will it stop the purchase? 

Personally I would ask my self have I got the means to spend a little on it in the next 12 months if required? 

Go back for a second look to double check and shake hands on a deal.

Good luck
Toffee

Male

Stevee1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:46 am

I still think it's too dear. £42k is dealer price, this is a private sale with no warranty.  
If it's a 2.2 which I think it will be in 2014 then it doesn't have a cambelt, it's a chain.

Donator
Donator

Male

Big g, Sally, Caraman and Stevee1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next