The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purchase advice for newbie

3 posters

Go down

Purchase advice for newbie Empty Purchase advice for newbie

Post by JessieT Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:10 pm

Hi all  wave , 

Any advice would be appreciated. I considering buying a 2002 Duetto on autotrader which took my interest it certainly isn't the cheapest, (though they do hold their price from what I gather ) it seems well kept, very good mileage for year at just over 40K, fully serviced until 2020, and one of the best MOT history's I have seen, though new / current owner bought van in 2021 and no service since. Has only done about 3k miles since last service but van not being used isn't always a good thing.

Will be going down to see it after it has had a new MOT. Thinking best to get a hab check, as not being from the seller's area was considering the "habcheck" company who will go out to the van and do a pre-purchase inspection report at £299 but I see they also do an annual service and observation report which seems more comprehensive for some checks at £269. Had an online chat with them and they only mentioned the pre-inspection to me (perhaps as is before a possible purchase? Only spotted the other service they did after the chat. Any advice on all of this and hab checks would be greatly appreciated. Van is located in North Warwickshire / Coventry area so if any on of you fun folk are from that neck of the woods and can suggest another habcheck company, please do so.

I have been trying also to find out if it has a cambelt or a timing chain but can't find the info anywhere. Phoned my local garage, they said thought it was chain and would call me back, but been a few days and not heard back.  Looking at photo of the service stamps in book, 2 major services were done, close to each other, think may be due to a change of owners, one at just over 38K in 2014, and other approaching 40K in 2016, thinking maybe a cambelt / chain may have been done at one of these services? All other services have been annual checks to last one in 2020. 

Many thanks and looking forward to getting on the road, hopefully very soon.

JessieT 
JessieT
JessieT

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Purchase advice for newbie Empty Re: Purchase advice for newbie

Post by IanH Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:17 pm

You don't mention the make, model of the base vehicle...

So if a belt cam, get it changed anyway with a complete kit from Gates....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by JessieT Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:58 pm

Sorry, I ignorantly thought saying it was a Duetto 2002 would have covered it   Purchase advice for newbie 1f636 

It is a Ford Transit 125 T330 cab and chassis with the 2.4 Dura Torq DI diesel engine and manual gearbox. 

Hope that helps as can't seem to find the info I am needing anyway on the net. I was hoping someone might have same van or perhaps any previous owners who could give me some info and also let me know any pros and cons they found with it. 

Many thanks
JessieT
JessieT

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:19 pm

In that case check all past MOTs for any mention of rust, assuming not done so already, oh, see already done. Good!
Dave 418 is the man on here for Transits, but I think a chain cam, and the very nice duratorq engine.

Could be a good find if rust free...good luck
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JessieT Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:08 pm

Thank you so much for your advice, yes I hope a good find. I will have a look for Dave418 just to double check and get any further advice he can give me blush

Just did got a quote from insurance quote from Caravanguard, was pricer than thought it may be.  will get some others also. 

Many thanks
JessieT
JessieT

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:24 pm

Ian is right it will be the mk6 Transit like mine with the 2.4 engine hence timing chain not belt. Our N Reg Duetto was the older mk5 with a timing belt.
The MOT history available on line will give you an idea of any previous problems and confirm the milage. Structural rust should show up on the more recent MOT tests due to its age.
The running costs for our Rienza have been routine and being Ford not too costly. Saying that I have recently had cold starting issues needing the glow plugs to be changed. No different to any other diesel engine they were a bit of a challenge to get out.
The 2.4 is no race horse in ours due to its size but the Duetto is less of a brick and will be nice to drive but what’s the rush.
We did consider another newer Duetto but a the time the Rienza was too good to leave and has proved a good choice for our all year travels.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by JessieT Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:15 pm

Hi Ian, Thanks so much for much for all the info. Van has only ever failed MOT once which was in 2022 and was only Windscreen wiper not working. First ever advisories were 2021 these were not rust related and think due to not being used much: 

• Rear Service brake requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair (1.2.1 (c))
  • Nearside Rear Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))
  • Offside Rear Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))

Assume sorted as not advised in the 2022 MOT. No rust issues to date, just hope it is not waiting for me to come alone  Purchase advice for newbie 1f603 

I was able to follow what you said about  the Glo Plugs as know what they are what they do (not in great detail though , only that they are needed for starting diesels ) though I am a sole lady trying to grips with all of this scary stuff. Thankfully my mum and dad had many cars and vans when I was a wee slip of a girl. It was  always a DIY maintenance and repair work with them both heads under the bonnet and bodies under the body of the vehicles so I am at least familiar with some of the terminology but that is where it ends unfortunately. 

It is all pretty scary as well as exciting though think the scary part may be winning a bit at the moment. 

Thanks again and I hope you will not mind if I come to you to ask for further advice when need.
JessieT
JessieT

Female

Back to top Go down