The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purchase Advice Please!

+8
TonyB
Slow-Lane
roli
IanH
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
rgermain
Frogers
12 posters

Go down

Purchase Advice Please! Empty Purchase Advice Please!

Post by Frogers Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello
First post here. I've been to look at a 51 plate AutoSleeper Symbol today. The interior is in excellent condition, even has the original Autosleeper plates & Cups. It has had 3 owners since new and 61k miles. There is no obvious rust on the outside bodywork but a little under one of the wheel arches and the asking price is £16k. What should I be looking for? What goes wrong mechanically with a vehicle this age? I don't want to stereotype secondhand car salespeople but I'm conscious that as a female on my own I'm likely to be told whatever they think I want to hear!
Is it worth getting an AA / RAC vehicle check?
Many thanks for any advice!
Frogers
Frogers

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Purchase Advice Please! Empty Re: Purchase Advice Please!

Post by rgermain Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:57 pm

asof_welcome2 I am sure some help will come, there are Symbol owners and past owners on this forum.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Frogers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Petrol or diesel?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Frogers Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Diesel. 
Thanks
Frogers
Frogers

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi 
Welcome to the forum for Bridington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Definitely get RAC/AA check. up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 am

Welcome to the forum
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:45 pm

The cost of an RAC or AA inspection is peanuts in comparison to the cost of the vehicle so it's well worth getting one done. What might go wrong with a nineteen year-old vehicle? The ravages of time - rust is an obvious one to look for, and any damp ingress, also be aware that over twenty years rubber seals and plastic components etc. will age and deteriorate (including tyres!). Don't forget the AA/RAC inspection is restricted to the basic bodywork and the base vehicle; they will not check the habitation parts of the van, so it's definitely worth getting a Habitation Check done as this should check for any damp, as well as checking the habitation electrics and gas system.  
I think condition is the main thing to bear in mind with an old van. One that's been neglected by previous owners is likely to need more work done than one that has a good service history (receipts for servicing etc., not just MOTs).  If you don't know much about buying vehicles if possible take along a friend who knows a bit and can help keep your feet on the ground. You can always ask more questions on this forum and post pictures of anything about the van that concerns you.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Purchase Advice Please! Empty Re;Purchase advice please.

Post by TonyB Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, One thing you should urgently check is the on line MOT history for any van you are interested.This will give you some indication of the service care on the van.Repeat failures is not good news.  Regards TonyB.
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Please don't be mislead by the original AS plates, cups or glasses, both of our vans we put them in the loft! We found them very heavy for everyday use.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Slow-Lane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Are you looking at the AS Symbol for sale by JMT Leisure? (This is a guess: it's in Weston-Super-Mare, your location is Bristol, and the van's age, price, etc. seem to fit your description.)  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In the pictures you can see there's been water damage to the headlining above the driver's seat, which suggests a leak - this should have been fixed, but that's the kind of thing you need to be on the lookout for. Also, this van is missing the plastic cover from the outside of the gas heater vent (on the driver's side of the van), and should also come with plastic covers for the fridge vents (at the back on the driver's side). Both are easily available, but if they're not included it may be an indication that the van hasn't been cared for in the past. This van's clearly been prepped well by the dealer, but don't let a shiny van dazzle you, make sure it's sound.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:37 pm

If it is that van , that dealer gets a lot of Auto-sleeper older models, so those missing items could be easily obtained off other vans in his stock so get them thrown in (common items on non-AS vans as well).

Donator
Donator

Male

dotsontour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frogers Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 pm

Gosh you all really know your stuff! Fancy noticing potential leaks from photos. Thanks so much for all your replies it’s been really helpful. I looked at the MOT history and saw multiple fails practically every year for the last 10+ which doesn’t bode well. 
Your advise has been so helpful and I think that this is maybe not the one for me just right now. 
I think maybe up my budget but I will definitely get an RAC inspection done on whatever vehicle I decide. 
I will keep looking and will definitely seek advice again on the next potential. If you hear of a good vehicle for sale do let me know. I know that this is the campervan I want - just need to be patient (not always my best quality!).
Frogers
Frogers

Female

Dave D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 am

If you have the reg number then check the MOT history here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I can see HY51FUD (for example) has had some repairs on the front and rear nearside due to corrosion
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:38 am

Glad you got some very good advice, as always from this forum smile!

I hope you find the van you are after and next time if you want any help, if you supply the details, ie reg No. dealer location etc. I am really sure you will get the help and advice so you purchase a van that suits you.

All the best.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:50 am

Frogers wrote:Gosh you all really know your stuff! Fancy noticing potential leaks from photos. Thanks so much for all your replies it’s been really helpful. I looked at the MOT history and saw multiple fails practically every year for the last 10+ which doesn’t bode well. 
Your advise has been so helpful and I think that this is maybe not the one for me just right now. 
I think maybe up my budget but I will definitely get an RAC inspection done on whatever vehicle I decide. 
I will keep looking and will definitely seek advice again on the next potential. If you hear of a good vehicle for sale do let me know. I know that this is the campervan I want - just need to be patient (not always my best quality!).
This maybe too much money but this looks good..(if you're on Facebook)....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:11 am

Hi
     I think you are very wise to walk away from the first MH you have looked at, The one Paul has found is very nice but I feel it is very over priced, the problem is that motorhomes are at a premium at the moment, but when the new 2021 model stock arrive prices may drop. Try to find a private seller bargains can be found, a neighbour has just purchased a 51 plate Duetto for about £16.000 and it looks really good
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:56 am

Welcome from our corner of Lincolnshire. I was  a bit too set in my mind when we were looking for our first van. We stacked up a lot of miles looking for what I wanted. There were some horrors out there. Damp carpets, wet dog smelling, cupboard door missing and bad attitude from the sellers. 
Yes we found the right van and it ticked all the boxes giving us a lot of happy travels to help decide if if motorhome life was for us. Unfortunately once the rust started to show and the repairs were getting costly we had to decide what was the next move. We are on our second now and don’t regret buying this one. It has had a couple of minor hiccups but no more than should be exspcted for its age.
As people have said I would start with the MOT and service history and then an inspection to give you an idea of what you are getting into. If a seller won’t show you some form of service records they could be hiding something. It can be difficult to walk away from what you are looking for. 
Good hunting, there will be an answer on her to most questions from the forum users.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

frederic and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Frogers wrote:
Hi Frogers, just maybe worth your consideration bearing in mind the travel distance. Dolphin Motorhomes Dorset has a lovely looking Symbol 2002 registration, 30,354 miles price £19,995. Herewith, I wish to give my endorsement of this family run business having purchased all four of our M/Hs  from their Southampton branch. If you were to view it, I'm sure you would be delighted by it's condition as Dolphin don't sell rubbish. Hopefully I haven't wasted your time with this 'up your budget' proposal. Regards.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Frogers wrote:
Hi Frogers, just maybe worth your consideration bearing in mind the travel distance. Dolphin Motorhomes Dorset has a lovely looking Symbol 2002 registration, 30,354 miles price £19,995. Herewith, I wish to give my endorsement of this family run business having purchased all four of our M/Hs  from their Southampton branch. If you were to view it, I'm sure you would be delighted by it's condition as Dolphin don't sell rubbish. Hopefully I haven't wasted your time with this 'up your budget' proposal. Regards.
Yes I can recommend Dolphin also.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Paramedic likes this post