The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adblue Remap

+11
palette
kevjan
AutoSleepy_Don
CC
Rocky
v8oholic
Dbvwt
The Bargee
Roopert
Tinwheeler
RABBIT19
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Adblue Remap - Page 2 Empty Re: Adblue Remap

Post by The Bargee Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:30 am

palette wrote:I think it's just a very stronge detergent, I've just noticed one bottle is enough for four fills, whoops.

If using a bulk can as opposed to a pump I wonder whether dosing the can (canister?) might be a better way?
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Aug 26, 2024 1:22 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
CC wrote:
Jimmy at O’Rileys Autos says the only time he sees problems with Adblue systems is when people wait till the Adblue warning comes up on the dash or when they let it run right low, his advice is to top it up regular & says if you do this you won’t see these kind of issues
Problem with that is AdBlue has a shelf life and if you are not doing many long trips.

That’s true but I think it all depends how it’s been stored… Jimmy at O’Rileys tells you never to buy it from petrol stations for this reason where it sits out in sunshine & all sorts of other conditions, shelf life is 12 months generally & typically usage will be 1ltr for every 600 miles so if you’re using your vehicle regularly it shouldn’t really be a problem.

For those talking about additives to prevent crystallisation I use this additive by Forte & have had no issues, wynns do one as well. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:13 pm

I ordered a bottle of the Wynn's anti-crystallising potion, which has just arrived. It says on the bottle "1 bottle = 1 Adblue tank", and in smaller print "treats 45 -75 litres". Sevel Adblue tanks are I think about 15 litres, with a top up warning at 5 litres left? So if topping up with 10 litres you need say 1/5th to 1/7th of the bottle.

Adblue Remap - Page 2 OPEC.dkpbvZu8KJwEXg474C474?o=5&pid=21

The bottle spout is clearly designed to fit into the Adblue filler, but the bottle is black and opaque (to keep out the light?) with no gauge or other way of measuring the dose. So just a random dollop then?

It's all a bit awkward therefore to dose reasonably accurately, particularly if filling at a pump. A measuring jug won't work.

It's certainly not an impressively packaged product so far. Next time I will look for a bottle with some means of measuring the dollop.

However I will save the old bottle. Cut the bottom off and it should make a handy funnel for when those Adblue can fillers are too short, or for dosing with anti-crystallant from a conventional bottle or measure. Does the Forte stuff have a spout?
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:29 pm

Since reading about this I now get inundated with remap adverts on FB to get rid of Adblue and DPF filters.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:54 pm

I didn't post to moan about FB but to highlight how many companies were offering remapping that the OP was referring to in his opening post .

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by palette Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:14 pm

The Bargee wrote:I ordered a bottle of the Wynn's anti-crystallising potion, which has just arrived. It says on the bottle "1 bottle = 1 Adblue tank", and in smaller print "treats 45 -75 litres". Sevel Adblue tanks are I think about 15 litres, with a top up warning at 5 litres left? So if topping up with 10 litres you need say 1/5th to 1/7th of the bottle.

Adblue Remap - Page 2 OPEC.dkpbvZu8KJwEXg474C474?o=5&pid=21

The bottle spout is clearly designed to fit into the Adblue filler, but the bottle is black and opaque (to keep out the light?) with no gauge or other way of measuring the dose. So just a random dollop then?

It's all a bit awkward therefore to dose reasonably accurately, particularly if filling at a pump. A measuring jug won't work.

It's certainly not an impressively packaged product so far. Next time I will look for a bottle with some means of measuring the dollop.

However I will save the old bottle. Cut the bottom off and it should make a handy funnel for when those Adblue can fillers are too short, or for dosing with anti-crystallant from a conventional bottle or measure. Does the Forte stuff have a spout?
I added the Anti Chrytalliser to the adblue container before filling the tank, I still added too much though. Plus any adblue left over is protected from chrytallising.

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:52 pm

I’m a bit late to this party so apologies. 
So are we now saying that an additive is now also recommended in addition to the Adblue? I’ve just been filling up when the warning comes on (and topping up before the 10L container goes out of date) and all has been fine to date.
Someone please explain in layman’s terms what to do? Is this additive really necessary?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:00 pm

v8oholic wrote:Isn't it. I don't know why the UK rollout of pumps seems to be non-existent.
It's because here, shops can charge over £2 a litre for it. In Europe it is about 60c (call it 50p) a litre. We are grasped firmly between the goolies while they rifle our wallets. I did get a 10l bottle from Aldi here for £12.50 which is far better than the likes of Halfords or your friendly neighbourhood petrol station. I tried a truck stop but they wouldn't serve non trucks.
It's the same with LPG. - only of course it costs more.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:37 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I’m a bit late to this party so apologies. 
So are we now saying that an additive is now also recommended in addition to the Adblue? I’ve just been filling up when the warning comes on (and topping up before the 10L container goes out of date) and all has been fine to date.
Someone please explain in layman’s terms what to do? Is this additive really necessary?

Who knows? I am always suspicious of potions in bottles, but I have seen how Adblue crystallises, and I can imagine what it might do to reservoirs, pipes and components, particularly in vehicles which are not on the road every week, so I bought some of the potion, which I am yet to administer.

I do wonder however whether one should be looking at the quality of the Adblue. All the talk here has been about price. What about quality? Do the more expensive brands include anti-crystallising additives perhaps? Is there a brand with a longer tank life? I guess the overall problem might just be that SCR systems and the Adblue were originally designed for commercial vehicles with a consistent regular throughput, also perhaps cars, but our vans stay parked a lot of the time.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:46 am

I was in a Mercedes commercial dealer in France with my Sprinter and I looked round the back of the dealership where there were Sprinters in various stages of being crashed. Indeed the Adblu tank on one was all crystallised.
I have read somewhere else about buying 'quality' Adblu, the only definite thing I can say is that Carlube Adblu varies from £24.99 to £9.99 at one stroke of the Google search for Adblu. Same brand, same pouring spout etc.
Best get a Euro5 camper that doesn't need it. Or even a Fiat camper where they managed Euro6 without using Adblu.
Or a pre-emissions camper that doesn't need any emissions stuff and if it goes wrong you can fix it. Going by the false diagnoses by garages doing what the computer says instead of knowing what is actually wrong when false alarms come up on the dashboard costing thoushands of pounds in wasted money, I theorise that it will be cheaper to pay the odd £100 fine than run a new camper.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:18 am

I'm thinking of downgrading to a Euro 5 non wet belt van. I've seen the potential grief down the tracks

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:25 pm

Baggiecamper wrote:I'm thinking of downgrading to a Euro 5 non wet belt van. I've seen the potential grief down the tracks
By  'non wet belt ' van do you mean someone makes engines with rubber belts in the sump oil? I know Ford Ecotec engines are like this and duly disintegrate when the rubber dissolves, as it inevitably will. They (Ford) should be shot.
Is there a camper base vehicle with this type of engine?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:14 am

v8oholic wrote:
Monty-Plym wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Since reading about this I now get inundated with remap adverts on FB to get rid of Adblue and DPF filters.
That's why I won't use spyware such as Facebook or Instagram, I don't give two fingers for what someone has had for tea or how many likes they have, pathetic.
Which site do you think tracked your activity and gave Facebook the heads up about it though? This one, obviously. One of those 134 "partners" mentioned in the cookie acceptance popup. Now where's the spyware?

These kind of posts are not helpful. Why on earth would this site track with Facebook, it’s pure coincidence, spreading rumours suggesting our site uses spyware is damaging to our site & not appreciated. All sites throughout the internet use cookies. Anyone with any common sense going across multiple sites of platforms should be clearing their browser cache daily by default anyway.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:56 pm

Back to the subject, I bought my Bourton (used) with just over half a tank of adblu on the gauge (it's a Mercedes Sprinter). A year later, and 6000 miles, I felt the need to replenish it. So I guess it will go 12,000 miles from a full tank. There were no signs of crystallisation and no difficulties filling it from a 10 litre container (£12.50) from Aldi

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YorkshaPud Yesterday at 6:13 pm

Just wanted to add to the conversation as have a 2019 Peugeot 2.0 van and I have recently had 2 adblue errors pop up on the dashboard. First was Check Adblue System with an Amber engine management light staying on, then after a couple of stops and starts (after reading up that I was safe to continue driving at that stage) I then got the same plus Check Engine.

Did a lot of looking into it and found that there are numerous potential problems with Adblue and most of them require a tank replacement. Some can be down to a circuit board failure and others can be down to the pump or level sensor, or a hearing circuit which are apparently all within the tank. 

I filled the tank to see if it happened to be empty and it took approx 7 litres. Lights still came on. Also put some forte anti-crystal in and left for a couple of days, same messages. Apparently when the message comes on the tank shuts down so won’t pump anything through or try to get itself working again,
Needs a reset kind of think with suitable ODB equipment. Did a check with an ODB reader and got the error P20E8 Reductant Pressure Too Low. Spoke to the dealer and Peugeot customer service as was speaking to them about another issue, Peugeot said it’s very much likely to be the tank as all the ones they see they generally end up replacing it and immediately offered me 70% off the tank part itself. Went to the dealer and they said that the pump is giving intermittent pressure, they reset it and since then I’ve not had an error pop up in approx 100 miles so maybe the forte plus the extra 7 litres and a reset has worked for now. Since then Peugeot have offered 100% for the tank parts contribution so likely going to get it replaced whilst that offer is there.

I understand that nox sensor can fail and the Adblue injector itself can also block and needed cleaning (warm water apparently perfect for the job).

Just thought I’d add some of my findings to the topic

I’m planning on asking Peugeot customer services if they agree with using the anti-crystal fluid. The dealer couldn’t recommend anything (I have a feeling it’s good for business for them to fail!!). 2.5 hours labour to fit a new one, 1 hour diagnosis already paid (£120)

It is interesting that the messages haven’t come back on yet… 

I read that after I think 30miles of driving with the adblue failure message, you get a mileage countdown and you can’t start the engine after that point!!

For background info, I filled up with 1 bottle from Halfords the first time, didn’t fill up well at all so filled up at pumps since then, filled it used it. 32k miles over 5 years. I do wonder if them being stood is an issue as am now aware it has an expiry…. Think owners deserve some advice to stop the expensive repairs and the worry of the countdown then no start. Also heard as the system is designed for adblue if you don’t get it fixed you can get other problems eg DPF or EGR?? But not 100% on that. So thinking it’s best to get it repaired currently
YorkshaPud
YorkshaPud

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2