The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz Bathroom

4 posters

Go down

Topaz Bathroom  Empty Topaz Bathroom

Post by Vangirl Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:07 pm

Hello,
I am grateful for any guidance - I have a 2006 Topaz, but the plastic surrounding the wardrobe and cupboard above it in the bathroom, has cracked and perished.  The wardrobe door has now detached itself!

I have limited DIY skills, although will have a go if I can.  Is there somewhere I can buy a replacement, or a DIY fix that might work?

Firs time poster so will try and add a photo.

Thanks so much, for any help.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Vangirl
Vangirl

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Topaz Bathroom  Empty Re: Topaz Bathroom

Post by Paulmold Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:21 pm

I notice you live in Oxfordshire.  Most plastic parts on AS vans were made by Cheltenham Laminates, perhaps worth a word with them to ask if they could do such repairs as they might not be too far away from you.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Vangirl Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 pm

Ahh thank you so much, I’ll look them up. Cheltenham not too far, as you say. Thanks for prompt reply.
Vangirl
Vangirl

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:41 pm

We had the same problems in the bathroom and other areas with the plastic cracking on a 2007 Topaz that we bought brand new. They tried to tell us we cleaned it with the wrong stuff!!  Managed to get AS to replace entire bathroom and other bits, sliding door surround and cant rails above windows, so they said at cost price, £1200 in 2014 then more cracks happened, so traded it in.

Not a cheap repair job, take Pauls advice, he is very knowledgeable.

Also wel asof_welcome2 come to this site

Have you just purchased the van?
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:10 pm

One problem with this type of panel is that as far as I'm aware they are not laminated panels - they are vacuum-moulded. Maybe Cheltenham work with that type of process as well, but when I had to repair the rear internal panel on the Trooper, the manufacturer's label on the rear of the panel was not Cheltenham.

The only way that I could carry out a repair on ours (caused by a previous owner shutting the tailgate with the rear cupboard door open) was to use epoxy adhesive and an aluminium reinforcing panel on the back. It has held up well - I think now at least 6 years and the repair is still strong.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Vangirl Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:25 pm

Thank you all very much. Sounds like it might be a common problem. I’ll give the Cheltenham folk a ring in the morning and see what they say. I haven’t dismantled the cupboard yet or taken the surrounding panel off, as it’s our main storage area and if I can’t fix it, I’m slightly stuck. I’m wedging the awning bag against it as we travel at the moment to stop the door falling off!

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, it’s a great resource you all provide. I’ve had the van for nearly 10 years with very few problems and absolutely love it, but she’s beginning to show her age. Took her to the south of France last summer and she was a dream (although turned into an oven on wheels in the 40 C heat).

Thanks again.
Vangirl
Vangirl

Female

Back to top Go down