The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unexplained wee in the bathroom area

+6
peugeotboxer
Paulmold
Paulwest55
-mojo-
Dutto
MrsGrey
10 posters

Go down

Unexplained wee in the bathroom area Empty Unexplained wee in the bathroom area

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:50 am

Well you never get bored, even on a mini-trip! rolleyes.

This time the main joy was on the last night of a 3 night trip, finding the bathroom floor covered in wee. Just wee, no toilet fluid. (Luckily I had removed the carpet after a previous overflow... ) As it was raining, I just mopped up and washed out and left it till the morning to open the external door. Sleepless night wondering what horrors I would find. But -- in the morning everything was just fine with the cassette -- no sign of a leak or a flood and the cassette was definitely not full when I removed to empty it. Now I'm sure I am not so demented as to accidentally wee all over the floor, so how did it get there and what should I worry about -- something plainly needs fixing.
The van was parked with a slight tilt to the loo corner, but as I say there was no sign of a leak and it had all worked fine for 2 days.confused3 
Any ideas, experienced helpers?

Oh yes -- other things went wrong too -- 

leisure battery fail -- not charging from the hook-up.
Internal handle of sliding door ceased working,
blind on main roof light off its runner,
grill flame not working properly,
rear left hob burner not staying alight
untraceable gas smell from gas cupboard. 

But I can get those fixed I hope.
Still determined to be a competent AS owner in the end. broomstick

Thanks for any help with this puzzle. smile!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Unexplained wee in the bathroom area Empty Re: Unexplained wee in the bathroom area

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 am

Hi there,

I once had a neighbour who got so drunk that he thought the airing cupboard on the landing was the loo and ........ !!  His wife made him wash everything himself by hand the next day!!allthumbz 

Apart from drunk visitors and my own lack of aim (and memory) the only other suspects I would have are pets!wave 

Ring any bells?up! 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Unexplained wee in the bathroom area Empty Re: Unexplained wee in the bathroom area

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 am

Can't help with the wee, but I have experienced 3 of your other problems.
The heater kept failing in the cold week after Easter and on investigation I found the switch on the battery charger itself was off. I am guessing it was switched off when my rearview camera was installed. Because the main switch was iluminated, I wrongly assumed the charger itself was on.
On the same holiday, I could smell gas. The service after my return home found a leak on the gallery. Soon fixed fortunately.
I then had the blind on the small rooflight come apart on my next holiday. Managed to put that back together.
The nearest to having wee on the floor was just water that didn't go down the basin outlet. It was definately just water.
If it were mine I would get the gas checked over.
Weedaf
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:20 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

I once had a neighbour who got so drunk that he thought the airing cupboard on the landing was the loo and ........ !!  His wife made him wash everything himself by hand the next day!!allthumbz 

Apart from drunk visitors and my own lack of aim (and memory) the only other suspects I would have are pets!wave 

Ring any bells?up! 

Best regards,
drinksallround
 Nice try Dutto!hugegrins
1. Not a bit drunk
2. Aim really not an issue, given my gender
3.No pets or visitors. this was a solo mini-trip for peace and quiet Haha.tap_fingers
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 am

Weedaf wrote:Can't help with the wee, but I have experienced 3 of your other problems.
The heater kept failing in the cold week after Easter and on investigation I found the switch on the battery charger itself was off. I am guessing it was switched off when my rearview camera was installed. Because the main switch was iluminated, I wrongly assumed the charger itself was on.
On the same holiday, I could smell gas. The service after my return home found a leak on the gallery. Soon fixed fortunately.

Weedaf
 Thanks Weedaf.
I've now, thanks to Dutto, checked the charger switch (had to even FIND it first!) and it was on all the time, so that's not it. Dutto suggests a fuse...confused3
The wee is a problem as I now don't know whether to dare use the loo in the future. Weird. Maybe I will call Thetford -- anyone know if they are helpful? I admit it does make me look like I was too drunk to notice where I was err ..* Inappropriate Word *. Not so!fight
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 am

MrsGrey wrote:
Weedaf wrote:Can't help with the wee, but I have experienced 3 of your other problems.

Weedaf
 Thanks Weedaf.
I've now, thanks to Dutto, checked the charger switch (had to even FIND it first!) and it was on all the time, so that's not it. Dutto suggests a fuse...confused3
The wee is a problem as I now don't know whether to dare use the loo in the future. Weird. Maybe I will call Thetford -- anyone know if they are helpful? I admit it does make me look like I was too drunk to notice where I was err ..* Inappropriate Word *. Not so!fight
I love that *Inappropriate Word* ! It was P***ing. alittlesecret Ooops Bad me...:backpacker:

One last question -- what is the gas "gallery"?
Thanks!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:17 am

Unexpected liquid in the bathroom? I can't recall the window arrangement in a Duetto, but as it was raining I would suspect a rainwater leak around the window frame. Rainwater making its way down the back of trim panels tends to pick up a yellow colour from the plywood...

Non-operative sliding door handle? Transits have a little tiny "child lock" lever on the leading edge of the door. It may have got knocked into the "operative" position.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:11 am

-mojo- wrote:Unexpected liquid in the bathroom? I can't recall the window arrangement in a Duetto, but as it was raining I would suspect a rainwater leak around the window frame. Rainwater making its way down the back of trim panels tends to pick up a yellow colour from the plywood...

Non-operative sliding door handle? Transits have a little tiny "child lock" lever on the leading edge of the door. It may have got knocked into the "operative" position.
 Hmmm...I'll definitely check that and I do hope you are right....but it wasn't raining much and only the floor was wet. Also I am pretty sure it was wee...

I'll check the door handle too -- Thanks!

This was only my 3rd outing in the Duetto. I'm hoping that one day nothing will go wrong. This was rather an overload of challenges especially for a solo old **** like me.
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Unexplained wee in the bathroom area Empty Wee in bathroom

Post by Paulwest55 Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Mrs Grey, don't you worry about those little shake down hick cups it happens to all of us and I think that's the fun and challenge of being a Duetto owner. we are now a toast free zone in Dougal unless on hook up as on our last trip I managed to remove my eyebrows and fringe the singeing smelling hung around for ages hubby was no help apart from wow!!! "Dragons Breath" as flames emerged from the grill, we now have a new igniter and I no longer need to where a hat, and we'll soon be off again, snigger  

Enjoy your Duetto, may see you on our travel allthumbz 

Caz
Paulwest55
Paulwest55
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:03 pm

I think the window link and colour from plywood is the most obvious answer. Lets face it, it can't be wee from the cassette as it would be coloured by whatever chemical you put in there. They mix, they cannot be kept separate.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Paulmold wrote:I think the window link and colour from plywood is the most obvious answer. 
 Good call, that does sound like it.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:29 pm

MrsGrey wrote:
-mojo- wrote:Unexpected liquid in the bathroom? I can't recall the window arrangement in a Duetto, but as it was raining I would suspect a rainwater leak around the window frame. Rainwater making its way down the back of trim panels tends to pick up a yellow colour from the plywood...

Thanks mojo and Paulmold -- allthumbz I have the Duetto parked outside my house so after next time it rains I'll check on the bathroom floor. I'd prefer that solution to be right as it should be easily fixed with some sealant.
And....Yippee! you were right about the child lock! No more scrambling in through the front seats! gimmefive
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Paulwest55 wrote:Hi Mrs Grey, don't you worry about those little shake down hick cups it happens to all of us and I think that's the fun and challenge of being a Duetto owner. we are now a toast free zone in Dougal unless on hook up as on our last trip I managed to remove my eyebrows and fringe the singeing smelling hung around for ages hubby was no help apart from wow!!! "Dragons Breath" as flames emerged from the grill, we now have a new igniter and I no longer need to where a hat, and we'll soon be off again, snigger  

Enjoy your Duetto, may see you on our travel allthumbz 

Caz
 Thanks Caz! wave Ouch -- your grill episode sounds scary.
I agree I'm not so bothered about the hiccups -- its the stuff where I need to understand major mechanics and electrics that worry me. I didn't even realise all the leisure battery-care stuff (don't let it discharge, remove when not in use, charge every 10 weeks all year round etc etc....)  was necessary to keep it working OK, let alone the existence of a charger that must be switched on -- which might mean dismantling the battery compartment to check. confused0 
I plainly still have a lot to learn scratch head. Luckily I have you lovely ASOF folk to hold my hand up!. You are all so kind drinksallround
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Mrs Grey,

Not sure about the Duetto  but on the Symphony if you do not empty the grey waste tank often it fills up and will eventually come back up into the
shower tray the fact that you were on a slight slope may have made the problem worse, so it could be Tea! just a thought coffee_drink 

regards Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:06 am

Hi, Mrs Grey
Did you get an answer to the 'gas Gallery' ? If not it is just the bank of taps controlling the supply to different appliances. On the Symbol it is in the cupboard under the sink, not under the drainer, the one that goes down to the floor.
Weedaf.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:15 am

Weedaf wrote:Hi, Mrs Grey
Did you get an answer to the 'gas Gallery' ? If not it is just the bank of taps controlling the supply to different appliances. On the Symbol it is in the cupboard under the sink, not under the drainer, the one that goes down to the floor.
Weedaf.
 No I didn't get an answer to "gas gallery" so thanks! up! I expect the Duetto is similar to the Symbol in this respect -- a lot of things are. smile!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Whilst I hope that the liquid was tea, or grey water, nevertheless if you are certain that the liquid was indeed wee then I came across the following which might explain it:

It is important to remember that the size of the WC bowl in an RV is much smaller than that found at home. The diameter of the bowl is smaller. That means that, when the user is seated, the distance from the front edge of the bowl to the source is closer than at home, for both sexes. Consequently it is possible that some liquid can overspill the front edge, underneath the seat. That is particularly so if the user leans back against the rear lid, and if the velocity is high.”

Can't fault that as a discreet if graphic explanation!  "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.... !"
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Cymro wrote:
It is important to remember that the size of the WC bowl in an RV is much smaller than that found at home. The diameter of the bowl is smaller. That means that, when the user is seated, the distance from the front edge of the bowl to the source is closer than at home, for both sexes. Consequently it is possible that some liquid can overspill the front edge, underneath the seat. That is particularly so if the user leans back against the rear lid, and if the velocity is high.”

Can't fault that as a discreet if graphic explanation!  "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.... !"
Congratulations on finding that -- it is indeed a first-class piece of diplomatic prose! lol4 Well if that is the answer I must slink off in embarrassment. It doesn't seem awfully likely, not least as you would think I'd notice! I discovered the (substantial) puddle in the evening. I was using the site loos during the day, so it would have happened in the morning -- i.e. not in the be-fuddled night. Oh and I was stone sober all day hugegrins
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:48 am

Wonderful thread and a laugh too. hugegrins 

With me being a rather large gentleman I find on a Thetford toilet that I can only do one act at a time, I have to stand for a no1 and then sit down afterwards, I find it impossible to do both at the same time on this type of device. 
There I have spilled the beans which you don't want a lot of when camping for obvious reasons. alittlesecret 

Best regards Mike  courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Davismo Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 am

Hi, Sorry not to contribute to the bathroom thread...

I have been snagging my newly acquired (old) van; the leisure battery was loosing it's charge, so I rather impetuously replaced it, only o find that the replacement drained whilst sitting unused - should have checked more thoroughly, blast. Anyway, long story short, it boiled bown to a loose terminal on the 240v charger. I can't explain why it should cause the battery to loose its charge, but re securing the terminals seems to have resolved the issue.

Hope this helps, Dave
Davismo
Davismo

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Davismo wrote:Hi, Sorry not to contribute to the bathroom thread...

I have been snagging my newly acquired (old) van; the leisure battery was loosing it's charge, so I rather impetuously replaced it, only o find that the replacement drained whilst sitting unused - should have checked more thoroughly, blast.  Anyway, long story short, it boiled bown to a loose terminal on the 240v charger.  I can't explain why it should cause the battery to loose its charge, but re securing the terminals seems to have resolved the issue.

Hope this helps, Dave
wave Mmmm I think you just did post on the bathroom thread, Dave! confused3

Anyway, thanks for the warning about the leisure battery/charger connection thing -- certainly I will be checking everything to do with the mains charger first as it seem to be charging OK from the alternator.... I have my local mobile guy coming next Thursday and I now have a better idea where to point him.
Cheers,
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I have the Duetto parked outside my house so after next time it rains I'll check on the bathroom floor. I'd prefer that solution to be right as it should be easily fixed with some sealant.
Well it has been bucketing down here and although it has made it down my chimney onto my (house) woodburner, there is no sign of any leak around the bathroom window -- the shower-tray remains clean and dry. I'm also sure it wasn't tea or other grey water. So maybe it was just lousy aim by me!  blushes
I will assume that there is nothing further to worry about. Watch this space if it happens again, even with me being super-careful....

Many thanks for all the helpful comments and .... interest Hi-Five
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down