The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998

+4
boxerman
Paulmold
roli
SJR
8 posters

Go down

Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998 Empty Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998

Post by SJR Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:23 pm

I am in urgent need of 2 tyres for an autosleeper symphony 1998. I have contacted lots of suppliers and can't get a camping tyre. Some suppliers have recommended a "Continental Vanco 2". Does anyone have any views on whether this would be a good option? Alternatively, does anyone have any other recommendations?
Many thanks,
Karen
SJR
SJR

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998 Empty Re: Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998

Post by roli Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:55 pm

I have had in the past Vancos on a Boxer. Have a look at the tyre thread in Coachbuilt Section similar suggestions apply to your van
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998 Empty Re: Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:29 pm

I've got a right mix of tyres on my Symphony, all light-commercial 8 ply,all the same load rating, you certainly don't need 'camping tyres' on a van of that weight.
I have a Maxmiler CX GT Radial, a Nexen Radial A/T, a Michelin Agilis 81, and an Event ML605 - all marked M&S (mud & snow), and I haven't a clue what the spare is but I know it's the same rating because I wouldn't have put anything on that wasn't. All are wearing evenly and I doubt if any will wear out before the 'sell-by' age of 5/7 years old (depending on what you read).
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm

I have Conti Vanco 8 ply rated on my 1995 Symphony, the front ones are getting due to be changed in the next few months and I'll be having the same type fitted again, if that's any help?

BTW, unlike some, my tyres DO wear out, the front's mainly, because we don't have a car and the van is used on a daily basis.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:44 am

I have just had 4 Toyo HO9 fitted to my Symbol for £386 fitted Blackcircles. Had very good comments on MHF, esp good on mud , which is handy at the moment.
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by SJR Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I have had two Vanco 2 tyres fitted at £165.00 by Event tyres, I am now debating if I should have had all four changed. They have loads of tread but are showing slight signs of cracking, I would prefer not to change them this year as it is getting close'ish to the end of the season and they will then sit all winter exposed to the elements.

The tyres on my Ford Mustang have been on for nine years and are like new, but the car spends 95% of the time in a dark, heated garage with its tyres on insulation.

SJR
SJR
SJR

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 pm

SJR wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I have had two Vanco 2 tyres fitted at £165.00 by Event tyres,
That sounds like a good bargain!

The tyres on my Ford Mustang have been on for nine years and are like new, but the car spends 95% of the time in a dark, heated garage with its tyres on insulation.

SJR
Tyres made for the American market have extra anti-ozonents in the compound.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Don't know if it is true, but I was told by a caravan owner who was pulled by the police, that legally you have to change your tyres every 5 years, has anyone else heard that?
stuartneale1
stuartneale1
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rimini

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm

stuartneale1 wrote:Don't know if it is true, but I was told by a caravan owner who was pulled by the police, that legally you have to change your tyres every 5 years, has anyone else heard that?

Not in this country it isn't, my rear tyres are over that and they passed the MOT no probs.
Wonder why he was pulled over?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm

stuartneale1 wrote:Don't know if it is true, but I was told by a caravan owner who was pulled by the police, that legally you have to change your tyres every 5 years, has anyone else heard that?

No legal ruling on age....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info, I thought it strange as I used to have a VW camper, and the tyres were over 5 years old, and they passed the MOT as well.

He was pulled over because he did not have his extending mirrors fitted, which he also says is a legal requirement, but fortunately not for us.

Stuart
stuartneale1
stuartneale1
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rimini

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:27 am

Brother in law has just had a new Firestone fitted to the Exec by E Tyres (online outfit) cheapest quote and they came in a fully equipped van and changed the tyre at his home
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

Paulmold wrote:No legal ruling on age....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Interesting document Paul, I've saved it for future reference - Thanks

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by simonf Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:25 pm

I have Firestones on my Duetto and they seem fine.
By the way I think its 5 years on tyres for a caravan, being a former tugger Im sure thats the law for them, if you do have a caravan that needs new tyres make sure the date stamp isnt a year or so old when you buy, as then you lose that time, its the date stamp on the tyre that counts not when fitted.
simonf
simonf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

simonf wrote:make sure the date stamp isnt a year or so old when you buy, as then you lose that time, its the date stamp on the tyre that counts not when fitted.
I wonder how long it takes between the tyre coming out of the press, going through all the finishing and inspecting procedures and arriving at the tyre fitters premises?
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by simonf Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:17 pm

boxerman wrote:
simonf wrote:make sure the date stamp isnt a year or so old when you buy, as then you lose that time, its the date stamp on the tyre that counts not when fitted.
I wonder how long it takes between the tyre coming out of the press, going through all the finishing and inspecting procedures and arriving at the tyre fitters premises?
Frank

Dont know but when I was replacing my caravan tyres 2 years ago 2 tyre depots had the right tyre but were both over a year old so may have been lying around in stock but unsold, I had to replace 2 tyres on Mrs F's Micra last week and they are stamped 1312 so no age problem there.
simonf
simonf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm

simonf wrote: I had to replace 2 tyres on Mrs F's Micra last week and they are stamped 1312 so no age problem there.

So that's the last week in March? 4+ months old.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Urgent - tyres for autosleeper symphony 1998 Empty tyres

Post by murph Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Apperently Michelin recomend that after 5 years you should have your tyres checked by an experienced tyre fitter at least every year.
My back tyres were changed last year after 7 years but the fronts which are now on the back ( I wanted the best tyres on the heaviest wear end) but I expect to change these this year, as they do degrade under the effects of the UV rays in daylight.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by simonf Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:40 pm

boxerman wrote:
simonf wrote: I had to replace 2 tyres on Mrs F's Micra last week and they are stamped 1312 so no age problem there.

So that's the last week in March? 4+ months old.

Frank
Thats right, the depot had to order them as they were not in stock and were supplied 2 days later so I think its reasonable to assume that is an indication of factory to retail oultet ? Her Micra has 16in alloys which are not the cooking tyre but I would imagine there are enough out there for them to be common enough...unlike Camper tyres maybe.
simonf
simonf

Male

Back to top Go down