The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale duo heating not working on gas

4 posters

Go down

Whale duo heating not working on gas Empty Whale duo heating not working on gas

Post by Fontie Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:22 pm

Warwick XL 2020 Whale duo gives exclamation mark and 5 lights which is "internal error contact customer services" when heating turned on using gas. it works fine on electric and I get hot water on gas just no heating on gas. Anyone else had this what was the cure ?

Thanks
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Whale duo heating not working on gas Empty Re: Whale duo heating not working on gas

Post by Liam Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:47 pm

You will find with the Whale system that you have two separate heaters - one inboard situated within the off side seat locker which heats the water with either gas or electric. 
And the second unit is situated outside the vehicle over the rear axle and provides the blown hot air for heating the van and this also operates on dual fuel.
So it seems like you have an issue with the blown air heater when you try to use gas.
You could try and reset the gas side of that unit by pressing and holding the gas symbol button for 3 seconds  - as is recommended in the Whale operating instructions.

However, as it appears to be a gas problem and the error instruction tells you to contact customer services (0345 9090 911) - I would suggest that might be the best course of action in this case.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Whale duo heating not working on gas Empty Re: Whale duo heating not working on gas

Post by Fontie Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Liam, I didn't realise you could press the gas symbol to reset the gas side I'll try that tomorrow if that doesn't work I'll crawl under the van see if its anything obvious. again I didn't realise water and heating were separate units. I know RTFM aye.

Thanks again
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:44 am

I got so fed up with the Whale system and its errors and heat loss from the underneath ducting as well as next to no heat up front in the van I removed the whole system and fitted the Truma Combi inside.
It just works so much better in the Kingham, the Whale might work better in other vans but we found that the hottest place was under the bed.
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2021

Millie The Moocher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:11 am

timsurf2021 wrote:I got so fed up with the Whale system and its errors and heat loss from the underneath ducting as well as next to no heat up front in the van I removed the whole system and fitted the Truma Combi inside.
It just works so much better in the Kingham, the Whale might work better in other vans but we found that the hottest place was under the bed.

That's an option to replace with a Truma but one I'd rather not go down at this time. Hottest place in the Warwick XL is the bathroom by far.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by markwhittam Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:21 am

I have a brand new Kingham (purchased Sept 22) with the Whale heating and that failed on day 1. Heated the water up but hardly a puff of warm air to heat the van. The dealer wasn't convinced it was broken as it blew a small amount of heat, worked like yours perfectly well on electric,  I had to insist on them testing it for a day on gas only. 
Anyway they did agree in the end and said it could be fixed but decided to remove and fit a new one. I'm still not sure what the problem was, something to do with the gas burner and fan, the new one works properly. Maybe there was a faulty batch?

markwhittam

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Malvern, now Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:21 pm

Took my van for the heater to be checked turns out its a blown PCB on the gas side and at least 6 weeks before a new PCB from Whale. I've found a new heater unit brand new £599 which I am tempted to buy and be done with it. Put new PCB in the duff unit and sell that or even keep for spares. I am not impressed with Whale support at all the guy said nothing he could do and it was up to me to find someone to replace the unit on warranty and suggested I contacted Eldis but it was unlikely they or anyone would be interested as I didn't buy the van from them, the company I got the van from aren't interested as its just out of their 1 year warranty and they are not a Auto sleeper dealer. Auto-Sleeper themselves aren't interested because stupidly I didn't pay them to transfer the remaining warranty
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down