The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale heating temperatures

+4
Paulmold
Aldercow
AutoSleepy_Don
FrankL0
8 posters

Go down

Whale heating temperatures Empty Whale heating temperatures

Post by FrankL0 Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I have just taken delivery of my new Warwick XL with the Whale heating system.

I'm a little surprised that the temperature selection on the Whale controller is just a band that moves up and down as + and - are pressed.

Does anyone know how the bands translate to a particular temperature?   On previous systems I have used (Truma and Alde) there is a temperature selection that gives the required temperature in degrees Celsius.

The Whale system seems a little imprecise IMHO.  Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible!
FrankL0
FrankL0

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Whale heating temperatures Empty Re: Whale heating temperatures

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I have only a brief exposure to the controller but I don't think you are missing anything. You can't actually put in a figure for the temperature, you need to discover whereabouts on the scale you like it.
I prefer the Truma controller but I expect Whale will be fine after a period of adjustment.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldercow Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:09 pm

The Whale control panel looks like a piece of 1980’s electronics. It seems that a lot of manufacturers are using Whale space & water heaters now (Auto-Trail, Auto-Sleepers, Elddis). Not sure why Truma have fallen out of favour with manufacturers. The Whale units can be mounted under van to free up space inside conversion but I would of thought it makes them less efficient as they are in the cold freezing weather in winter. Be interested to hear how you get on with them. I find the Truma combi & digital panel good.
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Mercedes Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain and AutoSleepy_Don like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:34 pm

Kaspian is always full of praise for the Whale heater he had in his previous van (Kemerton?).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Aldercow wrote:The Whale control panel looks like a piece of 1980’s electronics. It seems that a lot of manufacturers are using Whale space & water heaters now (Auto-Trail, Auto-Sleepers, Elddis). Not sure why Truma have fallen out of favour with manufacturers. The Whale units can be mounted under van to free up space inside conversion but I would of thought it makes them less efficient as they are in the cold freezing weather in winter. Be interested to hear how you get on with them. I find the Truma combi & digital panel good.

the whale new unit is 8lt and truma 10lt and as for cost the whale is a big saving so could be why manufacturers are going this way .the heat from the truma inside the vehicle puts the heat inside the van helping keep the van warm in cold conditions. so the whale  might save space and be better for smaller vans but the truma  still comes as my choice
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

rgermain, AutoSleepy_Don, Aldercow, Dbvwt and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:58 am

Paulmold wrote:Kaspian is always full of praise for the Whale heater he had in his previous van (Kemerton?).
No experience of the latest Whale but in the 6m Kemerton it was faultless and foolproof. No stench of metallic burning when on water only , no hard to reach blown fuses, no thermostats placed in the wrong place.  Installed in the otherwise wasted space under the interior step the Whale just worked. A separate water heater meant you did not lose both water and space heating if a fault occurred .   Who cares what the panel says is the temperature selected ?  In a short time with experience you will learn what ithe comfortable temperature for your needs  is and its indication on the control panel ' band '  Looking at the extortionate prices of new motorhome heaters it's no surprise many resort to a simple cheap fan heater and a small oil radiator overnight!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by hferguson Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:31 pm

FrankL0 wrote:I have just taken delivery of my new Warwick XL with the Whale heating system.

I'm a little surprised that the temperature selection on the Whale controller is just a band that moves up and down as + and - are pressed.

Does anyone know how the bands translate to a particular temperature?   On previous systems I have used (Truma and Alde) there is a temperature selection that gives the required temperature in degrees Celsius.

The Whale system seems a little imprecise IMHO.  Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible!
Hi FrankL0
My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.
Please feel free to contact our Customer Care Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.
Best wishes,
Hayley
hferguson
hferguson

Female

Member Age : 37
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

GP1069 and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 pm

kaspian wrote:no hard to reach blown fuses
As the Whale appliances are mounted underneath the van, doesn't that make it harder to access the fuse?

And being situated outside the thermal insulation must work against efficiency, especially in winter.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankL0 Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:06 pm

A little off topic (and many thanks to all for your interesting responses) but I notice that all your profiles alongside your response shows your age (Member Age:).

I'm happily aged 73 and would be more than happy for others to know this.
But I can't see where to set this in my profile!

Pointers please?   TIA.
FrankL0
FrankL0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankL0 Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:16 pm

We have just returned from our first outing in our new Warwick XL - and just love it!

Re the Whale heater.  I understood that one of the reasons for AS switching from Truma to Whale was that it was slung under the floor and hence more space was freed up within the van.  Yet, under the offside bunk, there is the space heater with the air distribution hoses taking up a considerable amount of the available space!  Have I misunderstood?

I have the Truma Avent Comfort air conditioning in my WXL.   With Truma heating, both the heater and the AC could be controlled from the Truma control panel.  Now with the Whale heater, the Truma air conditioner that I have can only be controlled using the Truma remote control.   This lack of integration does not appear to be a forward step.  Again - am I missing something?

BTW:   In speaking with Whale they have indicated that the bands on the Whale control panel roughly equates to a temperature range of 5-32 degrees Celsius.  They stressed that this is only approximate though.
FrankL0
FrankL0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:21 pm

FrankL0 wrote:A little off topic (and many thanks to all for your interesting responses) but I notice that all your profiles alongside your response shows your age (Member Age:).

I'm happily aged 73 and would be more than happy for others to know this.
But I can't see where to set this in my profile!

Pointers please?   TIA.
Putting your age was amongst the original questions at registration but after complaints by some members who didn't want to show their age, this was removed , members who have been around a while still show their age, more recent members do not.

Donator
Donator

Male

FrankL0 and OOF like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:55 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
As the Whale appliances are mounted underneath the van, doesn't that make it harder to access the fuse?

And being situated outside the thermal insulation must work against efficiency, especially in winter.
As I said in the Kemerton 6M the heater was within the otherwise wasted space of the step into the cab area so still effectively inside the van.  As others have stated in a  van conversion the  major  plus is getting rid of a large item that takes up a lot of valuable internal space.  The one downside was the bathroom being across the rear was at the end of a long run of pipework and was harder to heat.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Paulmold wrote:Putting your age was amongst the original questions at registration but after complaints by some members who didn't want to show their age, this was removed , members who have been around a while still show their age, more recent members do not.
Is it too obvious to ask why the objectionable members didn't just leave it blank?  scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Gromit wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Putting your age was amongst the original questions at registration but after complaints by some members who didn't want to show their age, this was removed , members who have been around a while still show their age, more recent members do not.
Is it too obvious to ask why the objectionable members didn't just leave it blank?  scratch head
Maybe it was one of those questions that couldn't be left blank (I know there is at least one member who gave an incorrect age - been a member for many years but their age still shows as 20).

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:33 am

kaspian wrote:
AutoSleepy_Don wrote:

As I said in the Kemerton 6M the heater was within the otherwise wasted space of the step into the cab area so still effectively inside the van.  As others have stated in a  van conversion the  major  plus is getting rid of a large item that takes up a lot of valuable internal space.  The one downside was the bathroom being across the rear was at the end of a long run of pipework and was harder to heat.
...as ive mentioned many times, Truma (and others) give much installation advice including the (central) placement of hot air units, where long distances from heater to outlet can be detrimental. however, many converters tend to install heating to fit around the layout whereas others choose to site it effectively and then build around it.
not such an issue with warm water heating like ALDE as the water doesnt cool in its journey from boiler to radiator.
im surprised the 'underslung' Whale unit still has much 'gubbins' under the side seat.
i also read the spec for a Whale fitted Elddis that had a seperate water boiler? if so, where is the space saving when fitting two appliances?
does the WXL have this arrangement?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:37 am

bolero boy wrote:does the WXL have this arrangement?
  Warwick XL at least in 2017 guise has a Truma combi. Kemerton did have a separate water heater so losing either did not mean no water or heating. I agree in placement mind , in our Xl the Truma is built in under the wardrobe being very difficult to access without pulling the furniture to bits. I do find it rather ironic that Truma take time to warn that if you use the faster fan speed this will increase wear on the motor in an appliance costing £1700! Perhaps selecting larger or better bearings and understanding users might wish to use the faster speed to heat their Van's would have been a better design brief. Then again a £10 fan heater is just as efficient and cheap to replace.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:15 pm

while i understand the oddness of the Truma advice (ive not seen it anywhere though) with 'gas only' (upto 6kw) or 'mixed mode' (upto 5.8kw) fuel selected, you'll find you really wont need the HIGH fan speed....ECO will be plenty to quickly warm up the van.
however, with EL2 (1.8kw) you only have 30% of that heat available and a HIGH fan speed will appear to make it go further.
folk seem to be reluctant to use gas (despite having refillable tanks) but the Combi is really a gas only unit with a couple of electric elements added to satisfy the large UK market where sites usually include electric in the price....meaning that folk will use that as theyve 'already paid for it'.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down