The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale heating

+2
KMRTOPAZ
judy
6 posters

Go down

Whale heating  Empty Whale heating

Post by judy Tue May 03, 2016 10:23 pm

We're having problems with our heating not working on gas or electric. Comes on then we have a red light flashing and it stops working. Any suggestions please.
judy
judy

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Whale heating  Empty Re: Whale heating

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue May 03, 2016 11:21 pm

Judy
I would make a measured guess that the red light flashing indicates overheating. The first thing to check is that the air inlet and outlet are both clear of any obstruction.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue May 03, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi Judy , does the fan start before the red light comes on . If the fan does not start then the unit will not start to heat either on gas or electric as there is no air flow to remove heat from the elements .Try google I think you count the number of flashes which indicates  the specific  problem
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by judy Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks folks. Yes we've tried vents. Not sure if it could have been overheating. We'll try it again tomorrow when we have time. It's such a trail to go back to Perth again (as well as the expense out of our pockets !). We had just got it back from being repaired . Drove home 100 miles, and parked it for the night . Packed up a few days later , went to a beautiful beach site with no hook up and that's when it worked for an hour then wouldn't. Next site had hook up. Again it appeared to work but after a few minutes the red light was flashing so no I don't think it was overheating causing the problem. I'll phone them again and see what they come up with.
judy
judy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed May 04, 2016 8:14 am

As said, I believe the 'pattern' of the flashes give a clue to the problem and that's detailed in the Whale documentation. Whale also provide superb direct customer serice, so rather than incur time and cost of returning to the dealer, I'd give them a ring if their handbook doesn't help.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Wed May 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Worth checking the temp sensor controlling the heat in the van. We had a similar problem, flashing red light etc, no heat, nothing. Found that the sensor cable had become detached from the sensor. Reconnected, perfect. Must say we are talking about a Sussex Duo, but same principle I guess.
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed May 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Judy,
Should it be the same model as mine you can download the instructions from whale.
this is from the book.
the numbers refer to the number of flashes and what they mean also to override a lockout, you just have to switch it off and on again within two and a half seconds.
1 No flame detected Check gas supply.
2 Overheat Check the air ducts and vents are not blocked or restricted. We recommend you wait at least 5 to 10 minutes to allow the heater to cool before clearing lockout.
3 Low/High Supply Voltage Ensure voltage is above 10V at the heater and below 15V.
4 Combustion Air Fault Check combustion air flue and exhaust flue for
blockages.
5 Other / internal fault Attempt to clear lockout as shown below. If this fails contact Whale Heating Support: 0845 217 2933.
To clear any lockout switch off and back on within 2.5 seconds
Space Heater Fault Finding
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by judy Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Did everything we possibly could then decided to follow Steamdrivenandy's suggestion to phone whale direct. Spoke with A very helpful lady and the result is that an engineer is calling to our house to fit a new space heater !! How's that for service. He's coming on Sunday ! So thanks again everyone. Sorry I have taken so long in replying.
judy
judy

Female

Back to top Go down