The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas type

5 posters

Go down

Gas type Empty Gas type

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 pm

I have a 2002 Topaz which is equipped for Camping Gaz. This is difficult to find in my area whereas Calor is everywhere! Not only that but it it appears to be unreasonably dearer than Calor. Could I use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (or one like it) to convert my regulator to use Calor gas. If so does anyone know what size of bottles I should use instead of the Camping Gaz 907?

I know that Calor is not available on the continent so Camping Gaz has the advantage there but what about Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland? What is available over there and will additional adaptors be needed confused3
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Gas type Empty Re: Gas type

Post by Paulmold Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm

That adaptor enables you to use Camping Gaz bottles with a Calor regulator. As you want to do away with Camping Gaz, just get Calor bottle with a Calor regulator. If you want propane, you can get 3.9kg bottle or perhaps a 6kg will fit, perhaps a Topaz owner can verify. If you want butane (which is what Camping Gaz is), you can get 4.5kg or perhaps 7kg (again Topaz owners can verify), the respective bottles are the same size, different regulators for propane and butane. If you stick with butane you could get the adaptor you mentioned as well and then easily convert your Calor Butane regulator to use on Camping Gaz when in Europe or in emergency.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm

You can get 2 X 3.9 Propane or 2 X 4.5 Butane in a T4 Topaz. I used to keep the propane bottles with a manual switch over valve. Its tight but can be done and makes very good use of the locker. Incidently a Topaz T5 will take the same set up.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:That adaptor enables you to use Camping Gaz bottles with a Calor regulator. As you want to do away with Camping Gaz, just get Calor bottle with a Calor regulator. .

I must admit to finding this a bit ambiguous particularly with one of the contributors referring to Camping Gaz 907 To 4.5 Calor PRODUCT CODE 141086.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm

hoopman wrote:You can get 2 X 3.9 Propane or 2 X 4.5 Butane in a T4 Topaz. I used to keep the propane bottles with a manual switch over valve. Its tight but can be done and makes very good use of the locker. Incidently a Topaz T5 will take the same set up.
John

So did you abandon Camping Gaz completely and replace all your connections/regulators with the Calor set up? I like the idea of the manual switch over and have used that before. Can you recommend any particular one?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Makfai
I ended up using 2 propane bottles (as I found that butane would freeze in the winter months) with a valve similar to this which is suitable for your van of 2002 vintage. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The gas would last a very long time and if it rained when one cylinder ran out I could quickly lift the tailgate remove the gas locker panel and switch the lever on a valve. On a 1998 Topaz we owned there was a 4inch or so dia plug in the top of the gas locker which you could get at from inside the wardrobe. This meant you could reach in and turn the valve without going outside. If memory serve me right the 2002 model does not have access to the locker from the wardrobe.

I rivetted the valve to the inside of the locker, or these days you could probably use adhesive (metal to metal)

Hope this is some use.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Hoopman

Thanks for the info John up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 pm

hoopman wrote:

...... with a valve similar to this which is suitable for your van of 2002 vintage. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

John,

Thanks for that. I have ordered one myself. up!

It will stop a lot of early morning grief as I always seem to run out on the main cylinder when I am preparing breakfast!! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 pm

I have read this thread a few times, but I am still not clear. scratch head

I have calor propane in my van. Am I right in thinking that if I buy this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that I can connect with my propane adapter into a camping gas butane bottle?
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Spook.

The adaptor shown in the first post of this thread connects a camping gaz cylinder to a calor butane regulator. That is all it will do.
I dont know if they do a propane version of this or do a camping gaz regulator to calor propane cylinder adaptor.
Not much help I know but it might save you buying something you dont need.
I would just remove the camping gaz regulator and fit a calor propane one, cheap to do and its only a jubilee clip to fix it onto the pipe.

Cheers Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Dutto wrote:
hoopman wrote:

...... with a valve similar to this which is suitable for your van of 2002 vintage. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

John,

Thanks for that. I have ordered one myself. up!

It will stop a lot of early morning grief as I always seem to run out on the main cylinder when I am preparing breakfast!! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Just finished fitting it and can now be reassured that I will NEVER run out at breakfast EVER again! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:09 pm

spook69 wrote:I have read this thread a few times, but I am still not clear. scratch head

I have calor propane in my van. Am I right in thinking that if I buy this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that I can connect with my propane adapter into a camping gas butane bottle?

No! The adaptor allows a Camping Gaz 907 which is filled with butane to be connected to a Calor Gas butane regulator.

The pressure inside the butane and propane cylinders are massively different. At 21 degrees the pressure in a cylinder of propane will be at nearly 9 bar (130 psi) whereas butane will be at about 2 bar (30 psi).

Because of this they have different cylinder connections, and fittings, that are rated for the different pressures that may be encountered; and they are therefore NOT interchangeable.

However, the new "three-way" valve that I have fitted CAN be connected to the LOW-PRESSURE outlet of a propane regulator AND the low pressure outlet of a butane regulator to give a simple change-over system between propane and butane. (Please see my earlier post today for the link.)

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi Ian.

I can see where you are coming from with this. Yes it makes it easy to swap from one cylinder to another and as you say from one type of gas to another but you are still going to need regulators for both cylinders as this is just a basic two way gas tap (and a very expensive one at that) I was running along the lines that camping gaz was difficult to aquire but calor propane was not, and the question was could an adaptor be got to covert the regulator connection? scratch head Your info reguarding the difference in the regulator outlet pressures was very informative I thought. Maybe another of your fact sheets if you get time. up!

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi there,

Another "When all else fails, read the Manual." I think. wave wave

I did a factsheet on Gas regulators back in July! allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks for all your replies.

So if I want the option to use both butane & propane in my van then the below quote from Dutto is my solution.

"However, the new "three-way" valve that I have fitted CAN be connected to the LOW-PRESSURE outlet of a propane regulator AND the low pressure outlet of a butane regulator to give a simple change-over system between propane and butane. (Please see my earlier post today for the link.)"

Got it up!
spook69
spook69

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I don't have a three way valve, just a "T" piece. Turn one bottle off, and the other one on - simples!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:35 am

boxerman wrote:I don't have a three way valve, just a "T" piece. Turn one bottle off, and the other one on - simples!

Frank

Ah, but then you have to shut everything off whilst you change cylinders whereas I can continue with the roast pork while I nip out and get a new cylinder!! This facility is critical when:

1. You use the oven a lot. (I have the waistline to prove it!!)

2. The "standby" bottle is Calor Gas and you are in Spain and needing a Camping Gaz replacement!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 am

Dutto wrote:
Ah, but then you have to shut everything off whilst you change cylinders
The empty cylinder gets changed at my convenience, I've never found this to be an issue yet as the new one will last for weeks.

Dutto wrote:whereas I can continue with the roast pork while I nip out and get a new cylinder!! This facility is critical when:

1. You use the oven a lot. (I have the waistline to prove it!!)

2. The "standby" bottle is Calor Gas and you are in Spain and needing a Camping Gaz replacement!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian
I don't use Campng Gaz or go to Spain and have no intentions of doing either.
Horses for Courses

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:06 am

boxerman wrote:I don't have a three way valve, just a "T" piece. Turn one bottle off, and the other one on - simples! Frank

So would this simple solution work with a butane bottle on one side of the Tee & propane bottle on the other side?
spook69
spook69

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:22 am

spook69 wrote:So would this simple solution work with a butane bottle on one side of the Tee & propane bottle on the other side?

Yes, during my switch from butane to propane, at one stage I had one bottle of each.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 am

boxerman wrote:
spook69 wrote:So would this simple solution work with a butane bottle on one side of the Tee & propane bottle on the other side?

Yes, during my switch from butane to propane, at one stage I had one bottle of each.

Frank

Looks like my solution here up!

Does any one have a link to a suitable gas T?

spook69
spook69

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 am

I got mine along with the tubing from Riversway leisure in Preston, but that's a bit far for you to come biggrin
Plenty on ebay: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Or a local camping / caravan shop should have them.
Buy brass rather than steel or plastic.
HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down