The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trooper water inlet cap

4 posters

Go down

Trooper water inlet cap Empty Trooper water inlet cap

Post by Aine Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:55 pm

Hi, I have a 1993 VW Trooper and have lost the only key to the water inlet cap.  Does anyone have a similar vintage trooper and can tell me a key number for their lock or who the lock is made by?  It was a fairly generic looking key so equally if anyone is willing to share a pic of their key I might be able to match it to a master with a locksmith. Thanks!
Aine
Aine

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Trooper water inlet cap Empty Re: Trooper water inlet cap

Post by Roopert Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:31 pm

I doubt you'll have much chance of success that way - the problem is that A/S changed the products that they used very regularly, and there's a reasonable chance that the cap will have been changed by a previous owner since it was manufactured, and there's a pretty low chance that someone else's key will fit your lock anyway.

And unfortunately the concept of a "master key" only works for locks that are designed to have a master key (e.g. hotel door locks). There is no reason why a water inlet cap would have been designed to have a master key at all.

So... it's probably best to assume that you'll have to get the existing one off and replace it. If my experience of something similar is anything to go by, that probably won't be very hard - I just used a sliding hammer with a self-tapping screw into the centre of the lock, and it pulled the lock assembly out of the centre with very little force required.

Having said that... I would definitely recommend having just one more try at finding the key - they usually turn up eventually!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Aine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aine Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful response Roopert.  I'm clutching at straws at this stage as have exhausted all avenues for finding the key!
Aine
Aine

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:53 pm

I know it doesn't help, but you have my sympathy. Our Trooper came to us with no keys for the water cap, though in our case if was a bit less annoying as the cap itself was unlocked. Changing it was a bit of a pain because the "standard" size of cap available now requires a slightly different sized hole, and the fixing holes are in different places too. We had to fill the existing holes, and we had a vinyl ring cut to cover the marks around the new one - though I have to say it looks Ok now it's done.

You might have another annoyance, in that I ~think~ the older vans used Imperial sized hoses and the current ones are metric - so you may also have to devise some sort of adapter. Good luck!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Aine Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up.  Kicking myself even harder for loosing that darn key!
Aine
Aine

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:06 pm

Hi Aine
  I’m jumping onto your blogg. I’ve just purchased a 1992 vw t4 trooper. When I viewed it at the garage it had a lockable cap on the water inlet. But when I collected it this had been replaced by a screw cap. I’ve asked the garage if I could have the old lockable one back but was informed that it was broken.
  So my question is do any of the members know where i could get another lockable cap. Its the old style??? Or point me in the right direction. !!
Gwen
Gwen

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper Pop Top
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Just G**gle lockable motorhome water filler cap and you'll find lots on Amazon and the usual leisure supplies websites, some described as 'universal', however I'd suggest going to a local caravan spares dealer so you can check and make sure it actually fits your inlet before purchasing.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:54 am

Hi Roger. Thank you for your reply. !!