The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric issue

+2
IanH
budboy68
6 posters

Go down

Electric issue  Empty Electric issue

Post by budboy68 Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi have a 1997 duetto.pretty new to camper van life.
So when stored do you leave the circuit breaker open for hook up or closed.as got drain on leisure side .or is circuit breaker closed and only open while hooked up.any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers B
budboy68
budboy68

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Electric issue  Empty Re: Electric issue

Post by IanH Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:56 pm

Best and easier option if in storage is disconnect -ve terminal of leisure battery.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:39 pm

budboy68 wrote:do you leave the circuit breaker open for hook up or closed
Which circuit breaker? As far as I'm aware, a '97 Duetto only has circuit breakers on the 240V side. If you're referring to that, it doesn't matter what you do - they don't have any impact on the 12V side when not on mains hookup, and will not be the cause of a drain on the leisure battery.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:16 pm

And if you disconnect the battery then any alarm you may have (which may be required by your insurance) will not work!

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:24 pm

inspiredron wrote:And if you disconnect the battery then any alarm you may have (which may be required by your insurance) will not work!
It depends if the alarm, if fitted, is powered by the vehicle battery or leisure battery.  In my experience vehicle alarms are powered by the vehicle battery.  If this is the case, disconnecting the leisure battery will have no effect on it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:31 pm

Never heard of an alarm being powered by the LB.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:33 pm

As I understand it, only caravan alarms are powered by the leisure battery and they can't be fitted to motorhomes.

My only concern with disconnecting the leisure battery would be if the motorhome has a Thatcham tracker powered from the leisure battery, as it could cause an alert and over time drain the tracker's standby battery.  However, I doubt a 1997 Duetto will have such a tracker.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:50 pm

Oh dear - read the post -- I missed the word LEISURE and focussed on battery because it's normally the vehicle battery that drops first, at least on my van!

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:26 am

inspiredron wrote:Oh dear - read the post -- I missed the word LEISURE and focussed on battery because it's normally the vehicle battery that drops first, at least on my van!
I agree.  If all the habitation electrics appear to be switched off, the leisure battery shouldn't discharge in the way the OP has reported.  It may be that something has been left on that's causing the discharge which should be investigated but if not disconnecting the battery should help.  It could be that the leisure battery needs replacing.  The OP hasn't reported a problem with his vehicle battery.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:47 am

Hi  wave
Caraman wrote:It may be that something has been left on that's causing the discharge which should be investigated but if not disconnecting the battery should help.
Not “left on” exactly but if it’s the same as mine there will be a permanent 30mA drain on the leisure battery. It’s due to the thermostat in the heater controller which for some reason is in circuit whether the heater is switched on or not.

Not a problem if the van is used regularly but will drain the battery if the van is idle for long periods (or if the leisure battery is a bit duff).

Disconnecting the battery is one option but I solved it with a 10W solar charger which I leave on the dashboard if I’m not using the van for a bit. It only gives about 60mA in very dull conditions so in theory not quite enough in mid-winter (assuming about eight hours of daylight) but in practice there are usually a few bright spells even in mid-winter so it works OK.  up!

Brod

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:38 pm

Or, of course, a 100w solar panel on the roof, dual battery solar controller and forget both batteries forever!! up! look here
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

matchlessman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi  wave
IanH wrote:Or, of course, a 100w solar panel on the roof, dual battery solar controller and forget both batteries forever!! up! look here
Couldn’t agree more but the problem is there isn’t much room on the Duetto roof (small van – 3 skylights) otherwise I would have done so by now.

I’m still looking into it, but it will need several smaller panels in parallel and of course all the standard panels I’ve seen for sale are just slightly the wrong size.

I did see a long thin panel (about 80W I think) that would just about have fitted in the largest free space, but I didn’t buy it at the time (fool) and last time I looked I couldn’t find it again.

I remember seeing a Duetto fitted with solar panels (probably on this forum). I can’t remember the total power but even If I can find the post there’s no guarantee that the panels will still be available in the right size.

I also had some ideas about getting inventive with the shape of the mounting brackets (custom made of course). My record of coming up with ideas is good but my record of getting around to them is rubbish snigger !

Brod

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:03 pm

May be teaching granny to suck eggs, but google PHOTONIC UNIVERSE if you haven't already.
Big choice and excellent company. Whilst there check out the PWM dual battery solar charger, had 5 now all been perfect, especially with the remote display. up!

The pics were on a Harmony, 100w, rigid panel

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi  wave

Cheers I’ll have another look. Now that this thread has sparked me interest again. biggrin
I seem to remember my rear skylight being further back than that ( might be remembering wrongly though - happens a lot these days). lol4

I’ll need to re-measure, my previous measurements are long lost. I remember looking at the space between the skylights and / or length ways
along the side of the skylights, hence the need for a long thin panel.
I like the idea of the conduit along the roof. I was thinking of taking it inside above the headlining - would have been a bit of a mare. think_smiley_46

Brod

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:48 pm

Conduit from B&Q or similar. Hinged on one edge, also self adhesive. I just cleaned its route with alcohol and put a drop of superglue on the adhesive strip every 150mm or so
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down