The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wardrobe suggestions wanted

+4
Paulmold
Kemerton-bath
SENTINEL
v8oholic
8 posters

Go down

Wardrobe suggestions wanted Empty Wardrobe suggestions wanted

Post by v8oholic Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:55 pm

I haven’t yet found an ideal storage system to use with the short wardrobe in my Symbol. I’ve tried some hanging shelves, and they weren’t great because they moved around, and the contents ended up coming out on opening the door.

I want to use it for clothes for a long trip. Some sort of temporary drawer system would be great. Or perhaps some stackable containers that fit snugly. What does everyone else do? I don’t need to hang anything from the rail.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Wardrobe suggestions wanted Empty Re: Wardrobe suggestions wanted

Post by SENTINEL Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:27 pm

We haven't yet found the ideal solution. The hanging shelves option didn't work for us at all. Also we store our hybrid table in there, on the right hand side. A couple of light jackets/clothing hang on the left end of the rail and sometimes we attach a small pouch to the rail for bits and bobs. Otherwise it is just a matter of storing stuff in bags or packing cubes on top of each other.
A few additional self-adhesive hooks on the left side prove useful for keys and that sort of thing, and a hanging toiletry type bag is useful too.
Some people have put lightweight shelves in which might be an option for you, but because of our table storage that would not work for us. 
Hoping to see other suggestions in reply here from those who have the same problem!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:28 pm

I’m still researching ideas. One is packing cubes like these:

They are designed to go inside suitcases, but the variety of sizes might allow them to be fitted into the wardrobe in some combination. The wardrobe is an irregular space because the back wall tapers inwards towards the top.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:36 pm

The problem with stacking boxes is that only the top one in the stack is easily accessible. If it was me I would be looking to find some suitably sized wire mesh drawer baskets and then making some cabinetry modifications to fit sliding runners. 

In a similar vein you could check whether Elfa make a freestanding drawer system in a suitable sized frame that can be lifted in and out of the wardrobe. We have a couple of their storage systems at home and they are excellent.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:42 pm

I'm sure someone posted similar subject before and put one of those plastic three drawer stacks that you get in Home Bargains , other stores are available . Such as this

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, more avenues to research.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:24 pm

I made myself these, and it transformed the cupboard. Ignore the top rail that was still in. 

Apologies for the double photos, I’ve no idea how to remove the extra ones. 

Hope that helps
Sally

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Wardrobe suggestions wanted 1a424b10
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

v8oholic and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:46 am

I like Sally's shelving idea but sadly it won't work well for us. However, re the "packing cube" suggestion, this can work very well if instead of stacking the cubes on top of one another they are stored side by side, like books with grab handles either at the front or on top. This idea works best with the more pre-formed, box-shaped packing cubes that are available (as per the V8oholic's link above. There are many similar ones available )
I will try to find a photo of this arrangement taken years ago when sorting out a friend's boat locker. Each packing cube was a different colour for easy identification.
It is also possible to get double sided packing cubes that allow dirty and clean clothes to be kept seperate. The interior divider is flexible so that the space within moves accordingly.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:37 am

Sally wrote:...Apologies for the double photos, I’ve no idea how to remove the extra ones. 

Hope that helps
Sally
Hi Sally
It's very easy to accidentally post the same picture twice. Fortunately it's also easy to delete the unwanted ones:
  • Use your mouse to click on the unwanted picture, 
  • hold the mouse button down and drag the mouse over the picture.
  • The picture will be selected (it will change colour, usually it turns bright blue). 
  • Release the mouse button and press the Delete key. Hey Presto - the picture is gone!

It took me a while to discover this.
You can always practise adding/removing pictures in a dummy post - just don't send it!
Hope this helps.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Sally and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:23 am

Paulmold wrote:I'm sure someone posted similar subject before and put one of those plastic three drawer stacks that you get in Home Bargains , other stores are available . Such as this

Might have been me Paul:

This is our solution:

Works very well and hold a huge amount of stuff !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:27 am

Lateral thinking.........
Take less clothes, willing to bet 50% of those taken are never worn! (Sneak out after dark and remove unnecessary ladies shoes!!)
Vaccuum bag those unlikely to be used, for example we have a heavy duty anorak which will be vital if needed, but hopefully never needed, so it's vaccuum bagged.
The wardrobe on our Exec isn't huge we get all the hanging clothes in there with ease, shoes on the floor under the clothes.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:21 pm

Sally wrote:I made myself these, and it transformed the cupboard. Ignore the top rail that was still in. 

Apologies for the double photos, I’ve no idea how to remove the extra ones. 

Hope that helps
Sally

That looks like a neat job. What did you use to support the shelves, small brackets with short self tappers into the wardrobe sides?
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:29 pm

SENTINEL wrote:I like Sally's shelving idea but sadly it won't work well for us. However, re the "packing cube" suggestion, this can work very well if instead of stacking the cubes on top of one another they are stored side by side, like books with grab handles either at the front or on top. This idea works best with the more pre-formed, box-shaped packing cubes that are available (as per the V8oholic's link above. There are many similar ones available )
I will try to find a photo of this arrangement taken years ago when sorting out a friend's boat locker. Each packing cube was a different colour for easy identification.
It is also possible to get double sided packing cubes that allow dirty and clean clothes to be kept seperate. The interior divider is flexible so that the space within moves accordingly.
Another plus for the cubes is that they are easily packed in the house and then transported to the van and just put inside. I don’t mind pulling out a cube or two to access the contents, if it maximises the efficient use of the space at all other times.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down