The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons

+6
rgermain
Paulmold
Peter Brown
Tinwheeler
IanH
quentinsf
10 posters

Go down

Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons Empty Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons

Post by quentinsf Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:59 pm

I was pleased to discover of the biggest sources of rattles in my van: they come from one of the smallest items!

The overhead lockers have push buttons, and those buttons rattle in their sockets. I have lots of them, and they all do it. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does anybody have a better suggestion for fixing this than my current one? (Shown below!)

Thanks,
Quentin
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons Empty Re: Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons

Post by IanH Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:09 pm

Superglue would stop the rattle...but!!

Try O rings, Lidl sometimes have them in boxed sets, otherwise just measure the diameter and get some 0.5mm smaller....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons Empty Re: Rattle-reduction suggestions?: locker buttons

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:40 pm

I’m sure I read of someone using PTFE tape…
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:10 pm

You can make suitable washers from the edge strips of document wallets and that will stop the rattles from the buttons but you will find that, in the world of rattles, they were insignificant.

Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:21 pm

I've got those handles/buttons. The buttons screw on as you know, I just tighten them up and they stop rattling, no need for any packing on mine.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

PLOUGHLIN and gef like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:33 pm

How to you find the buttons rattle? I have some many other rattles that they mask such minor if any noise from the handles.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:26 pm

I took the catches apart (very easy) and just put one turn of ordinary clear sellotape round each button. If you use too much the button sticks. It was intended as a temporary fix until I thought of something better but it works well so I will leave it!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:16 am

Thanks all - lots of great suggestions!

I had got rid of most of the other major rattles by taking apart the sliding door and fixing various bits of the blind enclosure more firmly. There are various other rattles when I go over potholes etc but these were the only remaining things that were rattling persistently while just driving along ordinary roads... and there were three of them doing it just behind my ear. 

The little bits of paper made a surprising difference, so I look forward to trying your other suggestions as a more permanent solution!

Quentin
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:19 am

rgermain wrote:How to you find the buttons rattle? I have some many other rattles that they mask such minor if any noise from the handles.

I think I was able to reach the closest one behind me while I was driving along, and when I put my finger on it, one of the rattles stopped. So I quickly pulled over and did my temporary fix, and had a more peaceful journey home!
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:28 am

I spent a lot of time hunting and curing rattles when we first bought our van, to good effect but I was still considering ways to reduce the remaining rattles from carelessly stored mugs, plates, cutlery etc., and never did cure the microwave. At the risk of being tedious I will repeat what I said a few days ago: our recently fitted General Grabber AT3’s ride so much more smoothly than the old Contivan tyres. I no longer feel the need to go out and buy mug and plate holders, and the number of times that I have to pull over and stow something better is vastly reduced.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Daley54 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:06 am

Slightly off topic but we ditched our Daewoo microwave and replaced it with a Dometic non turntable one that is rattle free. All cupboard doors are adjusted tight against the rubber "dots" we have fitted and cupboard lined with non slip matting. Never had any rattle issues, have modified the cooker door as well and the van is notably quiet compared to when it was new.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Daley54 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:48 pm

Just to follow up on this thread... I tried a few of the suggestions here, but the one that seems to have worked best so far, for reducing rattles while still allowing the buttons to operate, has been to wrap a little PTFE tape around them.

Many thanks for all your ideas!

Quentin
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:59 am

We had a couple of these knobs fall off on our overcab lockers while driving recently, going around all the lockers most were loose & required tightening, did think about putting a little loctite on the threads but then thought if they ever need to be removed might not be a good idea, as others have said I’ve never noticed them rattling enough to be an issue.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:13 am

Solved the rattles from the microwave. Only rarely used it so converted the space into a cupboard. Got the correct size and type of wood from Autosleeper along with the handle. Fitted it with a piano hinge. Now have a nice cupboard for breakfast stuff including toaster. Have a small microwave under the bench seats if I ever need one.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

quentinsf likes this post

Back to top Go down