The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

back storage box for Duetto - suggestions

+6
Bulletguy
Paulmold
Heanorboy
Gromit
Peter Brown
niccapotamus
10 posters

Go down

back storage box for Duetto - suggestions Empty back storage box for Duetto - suggestions

Post by niccapotamus Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi

Our first weekend in the old lady down near Bude.  Lovely.  Cozy but good.

Storage is an issue :)  Although we don't go mad (except for a guitar) it's clear that we could do with some storage outside - either on the roof (make us very high) or on the back so make it work sensibly when quick overnighting

The Duetto has a split back door so we have a half of the rear of a transit to play with as one of the door isn't opened very often simply as the toilet cubicle is directly in front of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions other than a big dry bag strapped to the door - which would work but I'd prefer some form of locked box

cheers

Nick
niccapotamus
niccapotamus

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

back storage box for Duetto - suggestions Empty Re: back storage box for Duetto - suggestions

Post by Peter Brown Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

back storage box for Duetto - suggestions Empty Re: back storage box for Duetto - suggestions

Post by niccapotamus Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:25 pm

thanks peter - where did that one come from?
niccapotamus
niccapotamus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 pm

I had it installed at the AS service centre. Its a Fiamma bike rack (never used for bikes) and a Fiamma back box designed to fit the rack. I used the box for the drive away awning, leveling blocks, water containers etc.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:52 pm

If it's any help I saw a DIY job that looked pretty good to me, and dirt cheap. (Fiamma boxes are excellent, but quite expensive.)

Someone had fixed a large plastic storage box on a bike carrier, not unlike [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and simply ran a chain and padlock around both it and the frame of the carrier for security.

It looked very useful, and although obviously not as neat or convenient as a Fiamma, it didn't look too naff.

Just a thought.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by niccapotamus Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:21 pm

thanks folks

yes - levellers, electrickery cables etc.  all a bit of a PITA and consume storage
niccapotamus
niccapotamus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Gromit wrote:If it's any help I saw a DIY job that looked pretty good to me, and dirt cheap. (Fiamma boxes are excellent, but quite expensive.)

Someone had fixed a large plastic storage box on a bike carrier, not unlike [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and simply ran a chain and padlock around both it and the frame of the carrier for security.

It looked very useful, and although obviously not as neat or convenient as a Fiamma, it didn't look too naff.

Just a thought.
I have the big 500 lt Fiamma box which is too big (must put on e-bay sometime) anyway the one above was in The Range last month at £9.95 don't know if they have any left, will be looking to use the one I bought on the back, there is a place for a padlock just need to made the clamps etc to fix to the bike rack
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 pm

niccapotamus wrote:thanks folks

yes - levellers, electrickery cables etc.  all a bit of a PITA and consume storage

Have you got a bike rack on the back? I can't see it mentioned anywhere.

Last edited by Paulmold on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Heanorboy wrote: . . . . just need to make the clamps etc to fix to the bike rack
David
Hi David

If it's of interest I've done a similar job in the past where I wanted a quick release system.

After a bit of brain bending, I made clamps for the bike rack which had a tongue of metal pointing vertically upwards, with a quarter inch hole drilled through each tongue. I then cut corresponding slots in the bottom of the box and lowered it onto the tongues. (I made four). Then I pushed a six inch nail through the hole in each tongue and the box was secure, but fairly quick and easy to remove.

A further refinement was four bits of foam rubber glued onto the bike rack near the tongue clamps so it needed a bit of pressure to force the box down over the tongues. This prevented any chafing or rattling, and also held the nails securely so they would not work their way loose.

"R" clips like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] would be even more secure, but I never had a problem with the nails.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:47 pm

Gromit wrote:
Heanorboy wrote: . . . . just need to make the clamps etc to fix to the bike rack
David
Hi David

If it's of interest I've done a similar job in the past where I wanted a quick release system.

After a bit of brain bending, I made clamps for the bike rack which had a tongue of metal pointing vertically upwards, with a quarter inch hole drilled through each tongue. I then cut corresponding slots in the bottom of the box and lowered it onto the tongues. (I made four). Then I pushed a six inch nail through the hole in each tongue and the box was secure, but fairly quick and easy to remove.

A further refinement was four bits of foam rubber glued onto the bike rack near the tongue clamps so it needed a bit of pressure to force the box down over the tongues. This prevented any chafing or rattling, and also held the nails securely so they would not work their way loose.

"R" clips like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] would be even more secure, but I never had a problem with the nails.
Brain a bit slow today must be because its like night here and the rain is so heavy cant get a Sky signal.
Anyway took me four times to read it before I got it but finally got there. 
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 pm

niccapotamus wrote:thanks peter - where did that one come from?

This is the model number you need for a Transit. They aren't cheap so worth looking around on ebay but the year i had mine, i'd spent months looking on ebay without success, gave up and bought new. That same year whilst away i was looking at ebay and one came up.....brand new at a BIN price of £80! Typical!!

This is the box you need. Though the rack will take a larger size don't be tempted....because your door will not take the weight!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 pm

Gromit wrote:If it's any help I saw a DIY job that looked pretty good to me, and dirt cheap. (Fiamma boxes are excellent, but quite expensive.)

Just a thought.
Someone (positive i saw it on ASOF) made their own rack up. Used a Fiamma box but the rack was entirely their own fabrication and extremely well done. It was purely to mount the box so had designed it around that. Rather than mount on the o/s door they'd chose to mount on the n/s. I could understand the logic as 1) that's the stronger of the rear doors being secured by the lever bolt and 2) you've still got rear vision.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Heanorboy wrote:

I have the big 500 lt Fiamma box which is too big (must put on e-bay sometime) anyway the one above was in The Range last month at £9.95 don't know if they have any left, will be looking to use the one I bought on the back, there is a place for a padlock just need to made the clamps etc to fix to the bike rack
I bought one of those off ebay after i'd got my rack fitted. The seller was in London but when i told him my son lives near Richmond he told me he'd drop it off there. Brilliant as i was going down the following week so arranged to meet! However as soon as i saw it i thought "oops...this looks mighty big"!! But i'd bid and won so kept my side and paid him the £50 i'd bid at and he went away happy.

Soon as i got back home, one look at it on the rack was enough to tell me it was way too much for a Transit so i stuck it back on ebay where it sold for a mind blowing £185!!   hugegrins

Even more weird...the winning bidder lived in the same area of London as my son so it ended up going full circle!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niccapotamus Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 am

they are very expensive :)  Ebay will be my friend (although I spend far too much on it and I'm sure life was cheaper before Ebay)

no, no bike rack :(

these guys do a good range of boxes btw

niccapotamus
niccapotamus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niccapotamus Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 am

just looking at the picture of the rack, fixing it onto the "old lady" involves holes and bolts I presume?

and no there's no second hand ones on ebay :(

i'm glad that i'm thinking about this now and not in the spring with the summer holiday looming!
niccapotamus
niccapotamus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:19 am

Ours came from Agent Fiamma as they are local and most competitivefor Fiamma products.  The 320 is the one to go for on a PVC mounted of course on a bike rack
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 pm

niccapotamus wrote:just looking at the picture of the rack, fixing it onto the "old lady" involves holes and bolts I presume?

and no there's no second hand ones on ebay :(

i'm glad that i'm thinking about this now and not in the spring with the summer holiday looming!
Doesn't surprise me there's no used ones. You need the exact model and they rarely come up and as i said i gave up in the end and bought new.....only for one to come on a few weeks later which had been bought new and never fitted. It was on for a BIN price of just £80....but that's the way it often rolls with ebay!

Yes the door has to be drilled so if you decide to "diy" just make absolutely certain you have the measurements spot on! The fixing is at four points...2 top, 2 bottom. You also need to remove the rear door card and where the rack locates at the bottom, it's worth using a piece of substantial metal blanking plate on the inside to "beef up" the door panel which is very thin gauge metal.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weymouth John Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:38 pm

The only thing to add to this topic is that you must be aware of the weight limitations on these Fiamma carriers and boxes as well as the loading height. We started of with one (and I stood on tip toe to load it) and eventually went for a much more expensive Thule box sitting on the tow hitch which gives masses of space can take more load (even though it is a whisker further aft).
John
Weymouth John
Weymouth John

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol-Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:44 pm

I had two chequer plate aluminium boxes made and bolted one on each rear door with hardwood spaces between the boxes and the doors.Used large plates on the bolts on the interior of the doors to spread the weight..I have a rear step so fixed blocks on the step to take the weight also. Doors can still be opened to access spare wheel winding mechanism..Works well and my cycles are on a fiamma rack above them..BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:43 pm

B&Q recently had a range of "tradesman's" tool/kit boxes in a variety of sizes. Substantial black plastic structures, waterproof and with locking hasps.
I had a medium sized one on the bike rack with a single bike.  Carried all the outdoor stuff that didn't have a place inside the Topaz.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down