The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions for compact external stove/grill?

+7
Peter Brown
IanH
Tinwheeler
Monty-Plym
Paulmold
Caraman
quentinsf
11 posters

Go down

Suggestions for compact external stove/grill? Empty Suggestions for compact external stove/grill?

Post by quentinsf Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:21 pm

Hello all - could I pick your brains about external barbecues/grills/stoves?

The Symbol Plus is the first van we've had with an external gas point from our LPG tank, and we were wondering about getting something to make use of it! 

We're not big barbecuers, so this might be used as a stove/grill as much as, if not rather more than, for the really sizzly stuff.

The key thing that we're short of is storage space, so we'd be looking for something that was pretty compact when it wasn't being used.  I have used and liked a friend's Cadac in the past, but I thought I'd ask for recommendations for any other outdoor cooking options, especially ones that don't take much space to transport.

We do have one of those standard little blue stoves that take a horizontal gas canister.  And we have a Trangia, including a gas burner.... 
So we could stick to those, for our occasional use, though it seems a pity to carry extra gas canisters with us.  I wonder if I could connect the Trangia to the LPG outlet... :-) 

Suggestions most welcome!

Quentin
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for compact external stove/grill? Empty Re: Suggestions for compact external stove/grill?

Post by Caraman Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:55 pm

We use a George Foreman Immersa Grill.  It's quick and easy to use and clean and its compact.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

quentinsf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for compact external stove/grill? Empty Re: Suggestions for compact external stove/grill?

Post by Paulmold Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:45 pm

I have an outside as take off point which I've never felt the urge to use in 7 years. Never really been into barbecues since the days when we used to each have a burger, sausage,  pork steak, salmon, chicken leg , far too much meat. It hardly seems worth it for just 2 people.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:01 pm

We use a Cadac same as this one, fairly compact and very easy to clean  https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910193/cadac-2-cook-2-pro-deluxe-stove-15910193

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:27 pm

Caraman wrote:We use a George Foreman Immersa Grill.  It's quick and easy to use and clean and it’s compact.
Surely it’s electric?  confused3
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:09 am

Tinwheeler wrote:
Caraman wrote:We use a George Foreman Immersa Grill.  It's quick and easy to use and clean and it’s compact.
Surely it’s electric?  confused3
Yes - but we don't wild camp and the majority of campsites these days have an EHU.  Even if we did wild camp there are restrictions on the use of BBQs.  So like the microwave and hairdryer its only used when there is an EHU.  That said, it could be used with an inverter if the motorhome had the right battery and solar setup.  Over the years we have used various charcoal BBQs, a small gas BBQ which we still have but don't use and an assortment of external mains devices but the George Foreman Immersa comes out top.  I agree with Paul though that we could easily do without and its just something else to carry.  We only take it in the summer months.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:16 am

Monty-Plym wrote:We use a Cadac same as this one, fairly compact and very easy to clean  https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910193/cadac-2-cook-2-pro-deluxe-stove-15910193

Oh, that looks neat!

Yes, if we decide we do want to use gas externally, that looks just the thing... thanks!

(I like the idea of the George Foreman one too. Hadn't considered something electric...)

Quentin
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:31 am

Our first George Foreman was a cheaper one that was difficult to clean as are most BBQs and as a result the non-stick didn't last.  The beauty of the Immersa is that the two non-stick hotplates detach and can be left to soak in a bucket of water which means they only need a gentle wipe to clean which should help preserve their non-stick.  They can go in a dishwasher at home.  The only thing we have found it doesn't cook well is thick sausages but its fine for burgers and other meats that don't have bones.  Apparently it will also do toasted sandwiches but we haven't tried that yet.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:00 am

We found these at £3 each in a Norwegian supermarket!! They were just selling them off.....
Bought 6.
Tried one worked perfectly, amazingly in fact.
Totally recyclable
Light and compact, have the remaining 5 under just a wee bit of one bunk!

Unlike other, the storage volume and weight will reduce by 20% for each one used!!!!! Eventually will be weightless! (Admittedly also BBQless too!) hugegrins hugegrins

https://bsfixings.uk/eco-instant-grill-one-time-use-bbq/?srsltid=AfmBOorvNJC-eU4xsomVUVSM9CZ5PNM69LpABOotGdpQf4pCNcm-dXLTfuQ
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

BobK and quentinsf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:14 am

IanH wrote:We found these at £3 each in a Norwegian supermarket!! They were just selling them off.....
Bought 6.
Totally recyclable

Unlike other, the storage volume and weight will reduce by 20% for each one used!!!!! Eventually will be weightless! (Admittedly also BBQless too!) hugegrins hugegrins

https://bsfixings.uk/eco-instant-grill-one-time-use-bbq/?srsltid=AfmBOorvNJC-eU4xsomVUVSM9CZ5PNM69LpABOotGdpQf4pCNcm-dXLTfuQ
Gosh Ian, you have gone ECO friendly, you better be careful, at this rate you'll end up buying an EV  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:33 am

We moved our larger Cadac to our summerhouse and bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079T19KW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when we downsized the van and find it perfect for two/three people
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:37 am

Monty-Plym wrote:
IanH wrote:We found these at £3 each in a Norwegian supermarket!! They were just selling them off.....
Bought 6.
Totally recyclable

Gosh Ian, you have gone ECO friendly, you better be careful, at this rate you'll end up buying an EV  lol4
You should know better MP, immune to Greeniotism!!!!!! snigger snigger snigger snigger

Joking apart I was skeptical at first and amazed when using, totally unlike any other disposable BBQ I've ever used.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:41 pm

IanH wrote:
Joking apart I was skeptical at first and amazed when using...

Yes, that's what most of us EV drivers found, and why we would never go back.

Oh, wait, you were talking about barbecues...?  😁
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:56 am

Another vote here for the Cadac 2 Pro just plugs into the side of the MH & allows us to cook outside with ease, only issue I find if it’s blustery it’s a bit of a pain but you can get a windshield at the shows which really should have come with it as standard or at least had flip up sides, otherwise good bit of kit, the griddle plate works well. 

Suggestions for compact external stove/grill? Img_4110

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:18 am

Peter Brown wrote:We moved our larger Cadac to our summerhouse and bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079T19KW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when we downsized the van and find it perfect for two/three people
 I did the same (only sold the large one - it simply took up too much room / payload).

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:32 am

quentinsf wrote:
IanH wrote:
Joking apart I was skeptical at first and amazed when using...

Yes, that's what most of us EV drivers found, and why we would never go back.

Oh, wait, you were talking about barbecues...?  😁
At last!! Proof that humour is not illegal on ASOF!!  up! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:10 am

Slightly different but I use an instant BBQ.Buy at supermarkets.
Very light ,totally disposable and only need a match.
Perfect when abroad and I have used sites BBQ as a frame work for height.!! allthumbz

At home 9 BBQ's so far this year. Have 2 different sizes and kept in the house garage.

ex scout

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:08 am

I'd also recommend the Cadac 2Plus2.

I'd also recommend the 800W Vango induction hob, the single is small and compact. To go with it I bought a Jamie Oliver Tefal frying pan and glass lid, useful if there's a bit of wind. Needs EHU obviously. We also have a small camping frying pan with a folding handle which also works with the induction hob. Our Kemerton XL has a mains socket by the sliding door.
I recently cooked several enjoyable recipes from "The Campervan Cookbook" by Martin Dorey which I was given as a present. Though we had the gas BBQ I liked using the Vango hob despite its limitations.

https://www.purelyoutdoors.co.uk/products/vango-sizzle-single-cooking-hob.html
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down