The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony

3 posters

Go down

How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony Empty How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony

Post by peterbennett9 Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Hi guys, im having some issues with my indicator stalk and also my horn is intermittent, i have a replacement stalk here to fit but im struggling with how to remove the steering wheel to get at it, iv popped the horn switch off (see pic) but can’t get at the wheel bolt because of the black plastic bit, and can’t see how to remove that bit. Any pointers?

Thanks
peterbennett9
peterbennett9

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Auto-Sleeper Symphon
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony Empty Re: How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony

Post by nastorey Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Black plastic part has pegs/spigots which are interference fit into the flexible ‘rubber’ of the steering wheel.
Prize this off away from steering wheel- gentle levering (might be best to ease off evenly left and right).
Wire (which connects to the copper strips you can see) can then be disconnected.
24mm nut (same as wheel nuts) can then be loosened (not all the way off if you wish to avoid wheel coming off smartly and smacking you in the face as you pull on it).
nastorey
nastorey

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony

peterbennett9 likes this post

Back to top Go down

How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony Empty Re: How to remove steering wheel - 1998 Symphony

Post by IanH Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Used to do exactly that on my old Eribacar Renault Trafic when we were away on other trips. Hid it away inside the house.
Good theft deterrent! took the nut in as well.

Don't even think about it if it has an airbag BTW
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

peterbennett9 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by peterbennett9 Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:33 pm

Perfect ill give that a go, i was wary of trying to prise it off incase i broke it, im leaving for a trip on sat and that would be a disaster lol
nastorey wrote:Black plastic part has pegs/spigots which are interference fit into the flexible ‘rubber’ of the steering wheel.
Prize this off away from steering wheel- gentle levering (might be best to ease off evenly left and right).
Wire (which connects to the copper strips you can see) can then be disconnected.
24mm nut (same as wheel nuts) can then be loosened (not all the way off if you wish to avoid wheel coming off smartly and smacking you in the face as you pull on it).
peterbennett9
peterbennett9

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Auto-Sleeper Symphon

Back to top Go down