The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony

+3
bertb
chrisvesey
marc4242
7 posters

Go down

Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony Empty Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony

Post by marc4242 Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 pm

A recent service advised that the spare was perished.  I'm glad they pointed it out because thinking of a replacement I looked at the carrier and realised I hadn't the faintest idea how to change the wheel.  In practice I'm almost certainly going to ring breakdown, but anyway I'm going to add a breaker bar and my own 14mm ratchet for the carrier bolts.    Has anyone actually changed a wheel with the supplied scissor jack?
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony Empty Re: Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 pm

hi,
changing the wheel is a bit of a challenge and I would try it at home first. first loosen the wheel nuts on the punctured tyre and put the jack into place. On my van the ratchet fits onto the two bolt heads accessed between the steel and wood floor visible from the back doors. Both need to be totally loosened and you may need to jack the van up to manage this. To unclip the hooks from the carrier means lifting the carrier slightly...and its heavy. When the back of the carrier is on the ground and clear of the hooks you can slide the wheel out. Be aware you will need to jack the van up higher to fit the spare as the original was flat and lower. Refitting the spare in the carrier is a reverse of the procedure but you have to swing the wheel and carrier up then hold it with one hand while you engage the hooks with the other. I also have a towbar which adds to the fun, good luck,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony Empty Re: Spare wheel / wheel change on Symphony

Post by bertb Tue May 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Can I add that you are supposed to use the jack to lower the spare carrier before you take the flat off. There is a piece of tube welded to the carrier to place the bump on the jack into. As I found out after the carrier dropped on me 'ead! Wind the jack up to support the carrier. Release the clips and then lower the jack. THEN slacken the wheel nuts etc. At least that's how it works on my Boxer/Symbol.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 am

hi,
must try that,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 am

Hi ,IMHO anyone over 65 attempting to remove or refit that spare could easily have an accident.
I have removed mine and its in the garage.I carry a get you home kit and breakdown cover.
Most new vehicles have done away with heavy spares.
Its a personal choice.
regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed May 14, 2014 10:18 am

mikethebike wrote:Hi ,IMHO anyone over 65 attempting to remove or refit that spare could easily have an accident.
Cheeky B*gger  hugegrins Wots being a wrinkly got to do with it? done mine loads of times. I must admit that I wondered what that bit of tube was for, praps I should should have RTFM? I'll try using the jack next time - Thanks Bert.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 pm

I might have got away with it boxerman, if I hadn't laid under the carrier to see how it came down. Very fast is the answer.......
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks Chris and Bert for those tips, particularly the jack under tyre one.  I had the spare replaced at Halfords Autocentre today and they showed me as you say Chris how the J clips (right term?) are unbolted using a 14mm ratchet.   Sounds a real pain possibly having to jack the van up just to get the spare out!

It's not so much accident over nn years that concerns me, but general niuisance factor of changing a wheel that bothers me, so I'll hand problem to breakdown man if at all possible.   Murphy's Law says we don't break down on a nice day, but at night when it's raining.
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue May 27, 2014 2:08 pm

tap_fingers Having spent 22 years being a very nice man and changing a lot of van/motorcaravan wheels I now think very carefully about doing a wheel change on my Duetto. In the past I have had anything from siezed lowering equipment to lost bits of equipment, Transits need the jack handle, to the lowering screws being boarded over during the convertion. Also I have enough joint problems with out trying a wheel change on  my van on anything less than dry firm ground in a safe location. Please think safe a small amount spent on some form of breakdown cover could be a life saver. smile!
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Not actually tried it with a flat tyre but did it to swop a wheel with the spare. The hardest bit was trying to put the spare back in place. The cradle is so heavy with the spare in it that I had to use a trolley jack to hold it up whilst I put the screw hook back on. Could never have done it away from home.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Yes Paul +1 for me. I did say those over 65 should forget about it.
However Boxerman has done it a few times.!! wave  wave 

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down