The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRIDENT GEARBOX

4 posters

Go down

TRIDENT GEARBOX Empty TRIDENT GEARBOX

Post by Guest Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:44 am

Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue.
I changed the nylon/plastic bushes in the gear selector bars, as when I bought it off this really old chap, who had it standing outside for two years with the skylight open, and the first gear was a struggle on purchase, so I assumed it was the bushes.
I noticed that when I put the vehicle in reverse, I often get a loud clunk or bang as if it doesnt engage properly. The main issue is first gear. If at lights and in first gear, sometimes I can't get second or get it out of first as it creeps forward, until I have pulled over, switched off and started up again.

No problems whatsoever, in 2nd/3rd,4th or 5th, so I am tending to pull away with extra revs these days in second.
I have this awful feeling that it may be the 1st/Reverse cogs in the gearbox missing teeth, or could it be the pressure plate in low gears 1/2, anybody got some good advice??
It is scheduled for a service as I did wonder what the gearbox oil was like too as it could be a combination of a few minor things and not internal gearbox cog related as it has been stood still for so long!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

TRIDENT GEARBOX Empty Re: TRIDENT GEARBOX

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Are you certain that it is not just due to the clutch dragging (i.e. not fully disengaged with the pedal fully down)?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:59 pm

No, as I am a double de clutch man anyway, so well aware of poorly pushed clutch pedals. It appears too consistant to be that, I am hoping its a plate thing which is easy to rectify and not a box out job and off to repair the broken little * Inappropriate Word * inside it.
So unusual for a VW box, as we all know they are like stirring a pudding at times hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by abmnw Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:34 am

Hi,

"If at lights and in first gear, sometimes I can't get second or get it out of first as it creeps forward,"

I assume it's creeping forward with clutch fully depressed? In which case surely it's something clutch related, it's not freeing completely, maybe clutch plate sticking on gearbox shaft spines?

Col
abmnw
abmnw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:43 am

It sounds as though the clutch is dragging. Putting it into reverse when fully stationary is usually a good test: if there's a clunk or other mechanical noise it is a fairly good indication of a clutch that's dragging.
Your description of it creeping forward in first sounds like a clutch that's definitely got problems.
The longer you drive it like this the more strain you put on the gearbox. I'd get it looked at asap.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Roymck Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:52 am

Have you done the clutch pedal mod on your T4 ? Could be the clutch pedal is breaking away from the pedal box and limiting clutch movement .
Roymck
Roymck

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks guys.......my thoughts too. Its booked in for a look see, assuming its the cluthc dragging.
Fine in all other gears.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down