The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder

5 posters

Go down

2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder Empty 2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder

Post by JaneH Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:16 am

Hi
Can't work out how to remove the larger back cylinder.
Do I have to take off the switch valve assembly?
Also would like to know if this is the original valve or an after market addition.
Any help much appreciated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry its in landscape.
Roger for Janeh
JaneH
JaneH

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder Empty Re: 2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder

Post by BobK Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:33 am

The "valve" is the fairly standard type of regulator  though not sure if that one is original equipment or a replacement.    If you revolve the cylinder  while pulling it forward, will it squeeze past the main (black) gas pipe which goes down through the floor of the compartment.
Duetto owners will be along shortly with a solution.
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder Empty Re: 2001 ford Duetto Removing 6kg gas cylinder

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:09 pm

I'm none to happy in what I'm seeing in your 2001 Duetto. It doesn't look like a professional installation.
The regulator is an after market fitment. On a 2001 Duetto the regulator would have been directly connected to the gas bottle, either screwed on or a clamped on type.
The regulations requiring bulkhead regulators came in around late 2003. I fitted a bulkhead regulator to our 2003 Duetto.

I'm not even certain if your appliances were originally set up for propane. The typical propane on-cylinder regulator was 37mbar, butane typically around 28mbar. Bulkhead regulars are I believe 30mbar so could with adaptors use either gas. Having a bulkhead regulator is the way to go, with the proper high pressure hose from gas bottle to bulkhead regulator. The gas appliances in our 2003 Duetto were OK with 30mbar, and we had no bother switching gas bottles from butane, propane, or Campingaz when we were in France etc.

Unless you have some expertise with gas fittings, I'm suggesting you get a qualified leisure vehicle mechanic to sort things out. The bare minimum is that you have a system where you can check for gas leaks.

We always used the smaller gas bottles, I believe 4.5kg propane or 3.8kg propane. Someone else on ASOF previously reported that they were having difficulty removing a 6kg propane cylinder from their Duetto.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneH Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanks BobK and Relaxez-Vous for your comments/advice.
Will do some more investigating.
Was going to ask the corgi registered engineer who I asked to look at/replace a hob thermocouple but he hasn't got back to me and he is not currently responding to my calls/texts.
Roger.
JaneH
JaneH

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:07 pm

JaneH, I'd prefer asking advice from someone familiar with gas systems in motorhomes, rather than a Corgi qualified house heating engineer. Nevertheless who knows he might have worked on motorhomes too. You could well find a mobile caravan/motorhome service engineer who you can contact locally which I think would be preferable. A quick web search suggests there's probably at least one in your area.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janevinton Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm

The installation looks very similar to our 2007 Duetto.  The rear cylinder isn’t easy to get out but it can be done.  The secret is to revolve the cylinder so that the cut outs at the top of the handle part clear the pressure reducing valve as you tilt the cylinder forward.  I also found a piece of wood in front of the cylinder which held it securely in place, if you have similar the wood needs removing to give a little bit of clearance.
janevinton

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 pm

Relaxez.. .I'm glad to see you toned down your second post to Jane......your first would scare the sh..out of any first poster seeking advice on this forum . Whistle1 Whistle1 hugegrins hugegrins
BobK
BobK

Male

frederic and rogerblack like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:22 am

BobK wrote:Relaxez.. .I'm glad to see you toned down your second post to Jane......your first would scare the sh..out of any first poster seeking advice on this forum . Whistle1 Whistle1 hugegrins hugegrins

Often I rattle off a posting between doing other jobs at home then keep coming back to do several edits, that said I am nevertheless concerned about gas safety.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Is that an automatic switch over valve that’s fitted , looks like something we had on the static van for gas bottles

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:34 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:
BobK wrote:Relaxez.. .I'm glad to see you toned down your second post to Jane......your first would scare the sh..out of any first poster seeking advice on this forum . Whistle1 Whistle1 hugegrins hugegrins

Often I rattle off a posting between doing other jobs at home then keep coming back to do several edits, that said I am nevertheless concerned about gas safety.
No criticism......    I was amusingly imagining Roger wondering what can of worms he had opened.    A good concise post   ....   you must have been the owner I knew would come along, as mentioned in my post.  !!
BobK
BobK

Male

Back to top Go down