The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reversing camera

4 posters

Go down

reversing camera Empty reversing camera

Post by brent Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi everyone has anyone had a reversing camera fitted, I have a symbol and have been told that the camera would have to be fitted on the door next to Reg plate. when i said we have a bike rack ,2 bikes that fits on to tow ball engineer said it would not be a problem as the lens on camera is a fish eye. I fitted bike rack on with bikes and would say it would impede camera. It would be a dear mistake £600. Any advice welcome up! up!
brent
brent

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

reversing camera Empty Re: reversing camera

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:44 pm

Usually fitted as separate camera above high level third brake light on as a combined unit within high level third brake light.

£600 sounds like a go away price. Should be much cheaper fitted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

brent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am

Your 2012 Symbol would have had a factory fitted camera fitted above the high level brake light, which I'm guessing has failed on you.

Some of us on here have replaced defective cameras with the type that's incorporated into the high level brake light.  The link below will hopefully help you, but ask more questions if you need to. Having the camera mounted high on the rear end gives the best possible view when reversing and stands a better chance of "seeing" high level obstructions such as tree branches.  

Furthermore, locating the replacement camera close to that of the original makes connection that much easier. A large part of the high cost you quoted will be in finding a new cable route to a door-mounted location, which is unnecessary.  If you choose to have someone fit the type of camera shown in the link below, rather than fitting it yourself, the bill should be nowhere near as high as £600.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:07 pm

OK not like for like, all of this incl cables and 7" monitor £65 fitted myself, power via switch from interior light[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down