The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing single with double passenger seat:

2 posters

Go down

Replacing single with double passenger seat:  Empty Replacing single with double passenger seat:

Post by IanD Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi all.  We have 2017 Kingham with swivel front seats (2). I am now needing to carry a third person and need to install a double passenger seat for a year or so then reinstall the single seat. I see the bolt floor fixing points are similar for the double and the single seat and understand how I would remove and replace.
My fear is the connections for the pretensioners and whatever other wires are under the seat may cause an “airbag” warning on the dash and an mot failure. Can anyone guide me through the process?
Many thanks.  IanD
IanD
IanD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Replacing single with double passenger seat:  Empty Re: Replacing single with double passenger seat:

Post by Roopert Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Is it fair to assume that you will not be disconnecting any airbags or pre-tensioners permanently while the double seat is installed? I know that some vans have airbags in the side of the seat itself, but that's rare and I doubt yours has..

If that's correct and you only want to temporarily disconnect the wires while you unbolt the single and bolt in the double, you should be fine if you disconnect the vehicle battery, and also the leisure batteries (just to be sure). Leave it for 30 mins and then do any disconnecting/reconnecting. That should not cause any fault lights.

If you need to disconnect airbags and leave them disconnected, you can generally do this by connecting a resistor of the correct value across the terminals, but you have to be mindful that there could be consequences if you have a serious accident (because if so, a modification like that will be found during a post-accident investigation).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down