The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

removal of high top window on 1999 symbol

4 posters

Go down

removal of high top window on 1999 symbol Empty removal of high top window on 1999 symbol

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi.
Hoping someone can help with some information please. The Acrylic windows in the high top of my 1999 Peugeot symbol have cracked big time, need advise as to how you remove these hinged windows...the part thats got me stumped is the large hinge that holds the window in place to van ? Can not fathom how the window comes off of this hinge.

Thank you very much in advance.
Dave.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

removal of high top window on 1999 symbol Empty Re: removal of high top window on 1999 symbol

Post by Roopert Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Are the windows by ParaPress?

If so, I'm a bit puzzled about why you are attempting to remove the windows from the frame? The only reason why I can think you would do this is that you have managed to source a replacement window without the frame. Is that correct?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

removal of high top window on 1999 symbol Empty Re: removal of high top window on 1999 symbol

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Roopert wrote:Are the windows by ParaPress?

If so, I'm a bit puzzled about why you are attempting to remove the windows from the frame? The only reason why I can think you would do this is that you have managed to source a replacement window without the frame. Is that correct?
Hi Roopert.
Yep they are Parapress ..Going to have them replaced with just same thickness single glaze Acrylic  ...far far cheaper than sending off for a unit to be made.
So am trying to figure out how to remove the window off that large hinge (not taking off frame..just the window)

Thanks.
Dave.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:20 pm

IFRC you remove all the opening restriction bits and open almost fully (to the horizontal at the least) and it should slide out to one side or the other.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Interesting idea - mine (on a similar age van) were quite badly scrtched on tree branches by the previous owner, and I spent ages polishing the sctraches out - but replacement with single-pane acrylic probably would have been possible - it never occurred to me to try. I'm pretty sure that the double glazing adds very little insulation given their relatively small size.

However, in my case it was necessary to take the whole frame out anyway, as the primary issue on mine was leakage around the frame, not the scratches!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

removal of high top window on 1999 symbol Empty Any success?

Post by MartynD Tue May 04, 2021 2:05 pm

I have identical problem with Hi Top openning window in my 1999 Symphony.
I am sourcing a replacement plastic window (Auto-Sleepers recommended EECO Windows in Lancs for this).
But...how do  you detach the window from the metal frame?
No visible hinges.

Any solutions gratefully received.
MartynD
MartynD

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Swiders Sat May 08, 2021 12:50 pm

Removed mine yesterday for a quote from  EECO. Simply remove the adjustment bar, open the window as far as it will go (almost 180 degrees) and press down towards the ground. The metal  hinge is U shape type hook. Quote for 1 window around £350 with Vat & postage. I am looking at going down the single pane acrylic route
Swiders
Swiders

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

removal of high top window on 1999 symbol Empty Replacing window with single pane version

Post by MartynD Sat May 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Good to hear that the window pane is removable without taking the frame out. smile!

I've been scouring web to find second-hand high top window (as I expect you have) with no luck. Like you, I'd contacted EECo and got the £350 quote. You say you're thinking of replacing the window with a single pane acrylic - which makes sense. Question on this, if I may. Do you plan to get a single pane Acrylic from EECO or is there some other manufacturer who can offer a more reasonable price.

Thanks

Martyn
MartynD
MartynD

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Swiders Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 pm

Looking on Ebay 5mm cast acrylic perspex the size we require is around £20, cut to size and with a slight tint is slightly more. I am going to make some more enquiries next week to see whether it's a possibility, at less than £ 30 it might be worth taking a chance.
Mick
Swiders
Swiders

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Swiders Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 pm

Window now fitted, single glazed clear cast perspex. Looks good but the top hinge bar was a nightmare to remove from the old double glazed unit as it was bonded by some really strong epoxy adhesive.
Swiders
Swiders

Male

Alf likes this post

Back to top Go down