The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t4 trident - put in double front passenger se

5 posters

Go down

t4 trident - put in double front passenger se Empty t4 trident - put in double front passenger se

Post by mills1983 Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Hello, looking to buy our first campervan and have seen a nice t4 trident autosleeper. The problem is we need 5 3-point seat belts. There are 2 in the back and 2 in the front. Does anyone know if you can change the front passenger seat from a captain seat to a double seat with two seat belts? Or alternatively can the rear seat/bed be changed for a newer one with three 'proper' belts?

thanks for your help!
mills1983
mills1983

Male

Member Age : 41
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

t4 trident - put in double front passenger se Empty Re: t4 trident - put in double front passenger se

Post by -mojo- Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:06 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't do much with the back seat as it's custom-made by A/S, so no other after-market add-ons are likely to work, without radically changing the way the bed works.

For the front seat it should be pretty easy - have a good look on the VWT4forum as it gets a lot of discussion there. You should be able to pick up a double front seat fairly cheap as most people seem to want to change from double to single. However... you will probably not be able to find material to have it trimmed to match the existing driver's seat on a van that old. A double is also something of a compromise as it (obviously) makes access from the cab to the back significantly more difficult. Not sure if the back of the T4 double seats fold down - apparently on the T5 some do, and some don't.

From the point of view of resale value it would probably make sense to put the A/S single seat in storage and reinstate it when you come to sell, as I doubt many buyers will want a double.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

t4 trident - put in double front passenger se Empty Re: t4 trident - put in double front passenger se

Post by mills1983 Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 pm

thanks for your reply, glad it is possible. I was thinking that if it is possible the front double seat could also swivel?
mills1983
mills1983

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:11 pm

Yes you can change the passenger cab seat for a double, only thing is you will not be able to walk through to the back from the front.

If you go on the VW T4 Forum you will see lots of info on this, if you want to buy or sell on there you now have to be a paid up member, also double seats can be bought off eBay, if you get a double you could always sell your single on there. prices for singles are going up.

Good luck what ever way you go.
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:16 pm

mills1983 wrote:I was thinking that if it is possible the front double seat could also swivel?

You can for the T5 so (as most stuff like that is adapted from T4 products) you almost certainly can for the T4. Do your research though - I was speaking to someone with a T5 double swivel and they were saying that turning it round is a right PITA - but that may just apply to certain products, not all...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:15 am

The double cab seat base uses the same four bolt holes as the single seat so very easy to change, have looked on eBay and I was surprised at the lack of T4 seats of any description, if you do get a double, you could put seat covers on drivers and double passenger seats in a colour to tone in with your van,

Would a rock and roll bed work in the back of your van? just a thought. although you may not have the seat belt fixings in the back.

When I was looking last year for captain seats they were a few of the double seats, towards the end of the year all T4 seats were getting rarer, T5`s no problem, whether they could be adapted I don`t know, think the bases are different for a start, plastic not metal as far as I can see.

Good luck,I did find double seats in a Google search  , £80 one lot was, the others going for auction.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:56 am

mills1983 wrote:thanks for your reply, glad it is possible. I was thinking that if it is possible the front double seat could also swivel?

Yes I think so. As others have said, look on the T4 forum for more info.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by mills1983 Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 am

thanks for your replies I'll have a look on ebay for the seats
mills1983
mills1983

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Kiravans do a swivel for the T4 double seat

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

finbar
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down