The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1998 Symphony Shower

Go down

1998 Symphony Shower Empty 1998 Symphony Shower

Post by Guest Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am

Hi all. Following the good news that the rot underneath our 'new' van is repairable I am now starting to look at renovating the inside. I've read the various posts about leaking shower hoses and the possibility of access via the wardrobe with interest - and horror!

Has anyone considered relocating the shower taps and hose connection to the back wall (ie. the wall with the sink)?  One of our shower feed hoses has disconnected itself behind the wall and rather than simply disconnect the shower completely, my first easy option, and having decided it's probably an easier way to wash rather than using the sink, I wondered about fitting a new unit to the back wall and blanking off the hole(s) left by the old taps. Makes me wonder why the original fitment was made so inaccessible tbh. The shower head can stay where it is and the hose is long enough to connect on the other side of the washroom, where the tap fitment can be more easily accessed in future.

It seems so simple to me that I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Anyone?

Cheers

Paul
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

1998 Symphony Shower Empty Re: 1998 Symphony Shower

Post by Greenfellers Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Paul,
Following the welding saga with my 97 Symphony I'm in the process of a refit for the bathroom. I had the same thoughts as you and the shower mixer is now going next to the new wash basin. I see no merit in long unnecessary pipe runs.  Shower head is going up on the same bulkhead next to the cabinet.
The location of the shower / mixer was probably to locate it directly over the shower tray.. While I think about it - neither of the jubilee clips had been secured and were sliding along the hose when I removed it. 

I don't think you are missing anything.

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Arnold Family likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Thanks Andy. I thought not - worth checking though!

Out of interest - would the welder you eventually used have needed the bathroom removed? Mine didn't mention removing anything, but my rust seems to be concentrated around the cills.

Paul
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:07 pm

paul200 wrote:Thanks Andy. I thought not - worth checking though!

Out of interest - would the welder you eventually used have needed the bathroom removed? Mine didn't mention removing anything, but my rust seems to be concentrated around the cills.

Paul

Hi Paul, 
The first place I went to said the inside of the van had to come out, I started to remove it and they then let me down at which point the entire bathroom was out.
The second place, who did the work eventually, asked why the bathroom was out, I explained and he said there was no need to take anything out.

So I think it rather depends on the welder.. 

Andy

Last edited by Greenfellers on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:59 pm

What I suspected. Our van has a propane conversion (faulty - like everything else!) with a tank where the wheel well was and it didn't seem to phase our welder at all. I've since asked him to remove it and blank off the engine gubbins so we can carry a spare. I know others are happy to drive without a spare but it makes me feel uneasy!

Paul
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:44 pm

paul200 wrote:What I suspected. Our van has a propane conversion (faulty - like everything else!) with a tank where the wheel well was and it didn't seem to phase our welder at all. I've since asked him to remove it and blank off the engine gubbins so we can carry a spare. I know others are happy to drive without a spare but it makes me feel uneasy!

Paul
Funnily enough I'm the opposite, LPG conversion and a tin of tyre weld for me!

LPG units should be serviced annually to keep them tiptop.

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Back to top Go down