The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL electrics

+6
Dbvwt
hillhead
Paramedic
Sally
burlingtonboaby
JakeandMolly
10 posters

Go down

Warwick XL electrics Empty Warwick XL electrics

Post by JakeandMolly Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi
I am new to the forum and am struggling to find my way around it (my fault). We are having problems with the electrics/batteries in our 2017 Warwick XL and I wondered if anyone knew of a good auto electrician in west Devon or East Cornwall. Apologies if this isn’t the right way of going about things. Thank you
JakeandMolly
JakeandMolly

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL electrics Empty Re: Warwick XL electrics

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi Molly &Jake
Welcome to the forum from sunny Bridington, fortunately we have lots of XL owners on the forum, only to willing to help.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:19 pm

JakeandMolly wrote:Hi
I am new to the forum and am struggling to find my way around it (my fault). We are having problems with the electrics/batteries in our 2017 Warwick XL and I wondered if anyone knew of a good auto electrician in west Devon or East Cornwall. Apologies if this isn’t the right way of going about things. Thank you
Hi there - if you explain exactly what problems you’re experiencing, with as much detail as possible, it’s almost certain that someone on here will be able to give you some potential solutions to try before you think of getting an auto electrician.

Good luck
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:01 am

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and indeed informative forum.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeandMolly Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Hello again and thank you for your friendly welcome!

Our problem is that when we haven’t used the van for a while (varying amounts of time) something seems to be draining the vehicle battery. I’m sure it’s my ineptitude but I’m not quite sure how to learn where I’m going wrong hence the post about finding an electrician.
The deal between my husband and myself is that he drives the van and looks after the stuff under the bonnet, and I know how everything else works and do the cooking! Where things are going wrong is that my lack of electrical knowledge is affecting what is going on under the bonnet 🙁!
Could anyone guide me through some first easy steps to see what I’m doing wrong?  Thank you
JakeandMolly
JakeandMolly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hillhead Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:38 pm

I have had good service from Devon Motorhomes in Kingskerswell - between Newton Abbot and Torquay.

Family concern who have a good workshop.
hillhead
hillhead

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeandMolly Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:19 pm

Thank you. I will get in touch with them.
JakeandMolly
JakeandMolly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 pm

I think you may find that your problem involves the well documented issues regarding the Sargent (I would guess EC500 in your van) and the automatic charging of the batteries.
I haven’t time tonight to go into detail but my vehicle battery would discharge to a level where it needed manually charging after about 10 days if not used. I always thought it was the tracker but never got to the bottom of the exact reason.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 pm

Dbvwt wrote:
I haven’t time tonight to go into detail but my vehicle battery would discharge to a level where it needed manually charging after about 10 days if not used. I always thought it was the tracker but never got to the bottom of the exact reason.
I agree with this.  The tracker on my 2017 Warwick draws fair current 24*7 and from the vehicle battery.  Does the 10 day approx figure resonate with your issue?
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeandMolly Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:53 am

Thank you very much Dvbwt and AutoSleepy Don for this suggestion. Yes, the timing does seem to fit. Will do some investigating today.
JakeandMolly
JakeandMolly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:03 pm

We have a similar problem to this, something is drawing power from the vehicle battery when we are parked up. Sergeant say the EC700 should send the solar power to the vehicle battery when the unit is switched off thereby maintaining a good charge. After spending weeks doing long-term tests of various types I can now confirm, without any doubt, that this is NOT the case. when the EC700 CP is off, the solar power goes nowhere, its just wasted.
We are now fitting a Battery Master from Vanbitz to overcome this problem. I will also be upgrading the solar controller for a decent one as the standard unit Sergeant fit is not very efficient.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyB Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:38 pm

I suspect trackers may account for the vehicle battery rapid voltage drop.My van doesnt have one and both batteries hold steady above 12.8v all the time.In bad weather i turn off the Sarjent on the black isolation button so any charge goes to the leisure battery but i get no rapid voltage drop on the other one.Something must work right as the van has not been on EHU since December.I do have Fiat Selected not Peugeot in the sub menu as suggested on a previous post
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:33 pm

OldWomble wrote:without any doubt, that this is NOT the case. when the EC700 CP is off, the solar power goes nowhere, its just wasted.

I'm not sure it helps you, as I guess your van is out of warranty, but surely this just means that you have a fault in the system somewhere? If Sargent tell you that, by design, the solar panel defaults to the vehicle battery but in your case it does not - it must be faulty?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:41 pm

Roopert wrote:
OldWomble wrote:without any doubt, that this is NOT the case. when the EC700 CP is off, the solar power goes nowhere, its just wasted.

I'm not sure it helps you, as I guess your van is out of warranty, but surely this just means that you have a fault in the system somewhere? If Sargent tell you that, by design, the solar panel defaults to the vehicle battery but in your case it does not - it must be faulty?
When shutdown the EC500 defaults solar to Leisure and from memory I think the EC700 defaults to Vehicle.  (I haven't confirmed the EC700 behaviour)
My 2017 PVC has a EC500, todays vans use EC700, I'm not sure when the changeover happened.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Roopert wrote:

I've given up with them. Its much easier to just sort these things myself - at least that way I know its done right!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:10 pm

OldWomble wrote:
Roopert wrote:

I've given up with them. Its much easier to just sort these things myself - at least that way I know its done right!
Surely it’s still covered by Autosleepers 3 year warranty isn’t it?
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Yes, I’m sure it is. But when you hear stories about AS dealers having people’s ‘vans for weeks, if not months on end, what would you do. I’ve been waiting since last December for them to send me a simple light fitting that failed so, if they can’t even do that in a reasonable time, would you trust them with your ‘van?  No. I’d sooner sort it myself and know it’s going to work!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:02 pm

OldWomble wrote:Yes, I’m sure it is. But when you hear stories about AS dealers having people’s ‘vans for weeks, if not months on end, what would you do. I’ve been waiting since last December for them to send me a simple light fitting that failed so, if they can’t even do that in a reasonable time, would you trust them with your ‘van?  No. I’d sooner sort it myself and know it’s going to work!
Fair point, well made.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down