The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation Electrics

2 posters

Go down

Habitation Electrics Empty Habitation Electrics

Post by Keith Ratcliffe Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:41 pm

I need help please with the domestic electrics on my VW Trident (P reg).
There is an intermittment fault whereby they stop working after I have run the engine. However when left for a while they come back on. I have just replaced both batteries and had the alternator charge rate checked as OK.
Any ideas please?
Keith Ratcliffe
Keith Ratcliffe

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Habitation Electrics Empty Re: Habitation Electrics

Post by Spospe Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Possibly the isolating relay and / or its contacts are defective. When the ignition is turned on the relay operates in order to isolate the 12 volt system in the van (to prevent you driving with the water pump running for example). If this relay has a problem, that would explain your fault. Sorry, but I do not know where it is located in your Trident, but usually it will be either in the engine compartment, or near to the habitation battery.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Ratcliffe Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for this - I tracked down the relay - there are three and the one that does the job you indicate is working fine and delivering 12V to the habitation system. The fuse is OK as well. Wonder if the Zig panel itself is at fault?
Note: I found another post about these relays in a Topaz of similar age and mine are laid out differently. It seems they all have their little quirks.
Keith Ratcliffe
Keith Ratcliffe

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Keith Ratcliffe wrote:Thanks for this - I tracked down the relay - there are three and the one that does the job you indicate is working fine and delivering 12V to the habitation system. The fuse is OK as well. Wonder if the Zig panel itself is at fault?
Note: I found another post about these relays in a Topaz of similar age and mine are laid out differently. It seems they all have their little quirks.

If you have 12 volt present and the lights are not working, then it does point to the control unit. On our old Duetto there was a 'Plug-In System' control unit mounted above the sink unit and this had the switches for lights, pump etc. It also housed some fuses under a plastic cover. It would be worth having a look at your system for anything similar, a loose fuse could cause your problem. Just a thought.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down