The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pump fuse blowing on 2011 Trident

4 posters

Go down

Pump fuse blowing on 2011 Trident Empty Pump fuse blowing on 2011 Trident

Post by VanSuzy Fri May 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Can anyone help please?
I am the new owner of a 2011 Trident and, following a drain down over winter, I could not fill the water tank via the Whale socket. After a bit of faffing I discovered that the 10amp Pump Fuse had blown which also controls the inlet line solenoid valve. Fuse replaced, tank filled, but when I switched the pump on to bleed and fill the system, after a short time of running with (no water coming from the taps) the fuse blew again.
I replaced the fuse and tried again and managed to get some water out of the tap (on the cold side I think) but when I moved the tap to fill the water heater the fuse blew again. The pump sound is variable and it seems to be under load, slowing down just before the fuse blows.
I assume the pump is a submersible one so I’m going to have a peek in the water tank via the screwed access plug in the base to see if there is anything obstructing the pump (it worked fine last year) but has anyone experienced this before and have any ideas as to the problem?
Many thanks.
VanSuzy
VanSuzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Pump fuse blowing on 2011 Trident Empty Re: Pump fuse blowing on 2011 Trident

Post by Biker51 Sun May 30, 2021 9:00 am

Had exactly the same with mine when I filled up last month after winter. Had the submersible pump replaced and all now fine. Fuse also controlled the toilet flush so disconnected the in line pressure switch so we could still use toilet.

On looking at the old pump the impeller was stuck solid. Not too bad considering it’s a relatively small 9 year old pump.

Also of concern was the clamp used to connect pipe to old pump was really corroded.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Biker51
Biker51

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun May 30, 2021 11:19 am

That's really poor choice of materials, isn't it? In trade quantities, an all-stainless Jubilee clip should cost about £1, maximum.

But I would be a bit surprised to hear that a 2011 Trident has a submersible pump. The VW base models have conventionally had a Shurflo pump fitted from the factory, so it would be a bit unusual for A/S to change that so many years into production of the model.

Hopefully VanSuzy will update this thread when more info is known?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by VanSuzy Mon May 31, 2021 6:27 am

Thank you for the replies - I’m not sure that the impeller on mine is stuck as it did manage to pump some water (albeit briefly) but there is certainly some damage as it is under load. Perhaps I did not drain the system down correctly?

I hope it is a submersible pump as I don’t have a clue where it is if not! It is not in the void under the drainer and the cold water pipes seem to go through the floor. I will update this thread when I manage to get the van on some ramps and have a closer look underneath.
VanSuzy
VanSuzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Mon May 31, 2021 9:27 am

Hi, I can't speak of new fangled submersible water pumps on a Trident but on our 2007 model (without a submersible pump or water heater) its located under the large cupboard floor beside the rock n roll seat. There was a posting here a while back which may help. Try searching 'Location of water pump on Trooper T5 2007' I would've posted a link but failed miserably. It takes about 10 min. Pump fuse blowing on 2011 Trident 1f626
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Mon May 31, 2021 9:34 am

Maybe just maybe this time it'll work?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by VanSuzy Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:24 pm

Thank you for the information - we have just returned from a dry (in more than one way) trip away so I now have time to do more investigation. Autosleeper do try to make things difficult! I’ll update the post when I find something out.
VanSuzy
VanSuzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by VanSuzy Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:26 pm

Hello all, thank you for your replies and I’m pleased to say that the pump problem has been sorted - unfortunately not by me but by a dealer. The pump had seized and has now been replaced. It was a submersible pump and I was told that it can be replaced from inside the tank without taking the tank off. If it happens again I’ll be having a go at doing it myself although getting under the van may be a little tricky!
I’m not sure what caused it to seize other than residual water being left in it over the winter. I thought I had fully drained the system but obviously not!
VanSuzy
VanSuzy

Male

Back to top Go down