The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing

2 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing Empty Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing

Post by GeekTeacher Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:27 pm

The 25amp fuse next to the leisure battery relays under the driver's seat keeps blowing on my 1997 Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Symphony van. I've not been able to run the van on the road for over a year due to mechanical problems but I start the engine and test the systems occasionally. I can't be sure how and when this happens, I only notice it after I've not turned the electric on for a while. I usually find the 12v system is not working so I assume the battery is flat because the van hasn't been run. I charge it via the outside cable socket but the 12v power still doesn't come on at all, so I check the fuse and find it's blown again. I've done this about four times now and after I replace the fuse, the system is OK until the next time I try it, perhaps a couple of months later. What could be causing the fuse to blow? Any help appreciated. Cheers, Martyn.
GeekTeacher
GeekTeacher

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing Empty Re: Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing

Post by -mojo- Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that the split charge system is simply not designed to cope with a totally flat leisure battery, so every time you start the engine when the battery is flat the peak initial current is larger than the 25A fuse can cope with, and it blows.

The solution is never to let the leisure battery go flat. This will save you money too, as sitting in a poor state of charge - or flat - causes irreparable damage to a "typical" leisure battery. So if you keep it topped up you won't have to replace it so often. On my last van the batteries would last at least six years, and only got replaced as a precautionary measure - not because they no longer held a charge.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing Empty Re: Autosleeper Symphony Leisure Bat Fuse Blowing

Post by GeekTeacher Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Many thanks Mojo, I'll try to keep it charged and see if that cures it.
GeekTeacher
GeekTeacher

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down