The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin

3 posters

Go down

Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin Empty Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin

Post by pootler Tue May 25, 2021 3:58 pm

It's jobs time again. On the single rear spring there is a small rubber pad on each end. Of the four in total 2 have failed and one is looking in need of replacement. I can find parts on the 'net but I cannot see how to remove the bolt that is still in place. There does not appear to be any method of gaining purchase, as one end is domed and the other looks like the end of a bolt.  Drilling out the bolt looks like a real mission. Has anyone managed to remove the old fitting?
pootler
pootler

Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin Empty Re: Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin

Post by FreelanderUK Tue May 25, 2021 4:43 pm

They will be riveted

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin Empty Re: Removing rubber pads on the single leaf sprin

Post by pootler Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks. I have managed to get one of the backing plates off. This was left after the rubber pad dropped off. So I am left with the domed item underneath and a spigot sticking though the spring. The new pads all seem to come with a bolt and nut. How do I get the old rivet out? I suspect that the piece let will be hardened and therefore a so and so to drill out and there is not really much space above the spigot to get a hammer and punch at the item. Is it just a matter of showing some patience and keep hitting it as best as I can?
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down

Post by gonromin Tue May 25, 2021 5:33 pm

pootler wrote:Thanks. I have managed to get one of the backing plates off. This was left after the rubber pad dropped off. So I am left with the domed item underneath and a spigot sticking though the spring. The new pads all seem to come with a bolt and nut. How do I get the old rivet out? I suspect that the piece let will be hardened and therefore a so and so to drill out and there is not really much space above the spigot to get a hammer and punch at the item. Is it just a matter of showing some patience and keep hitting it as best as I can?
Is there room to use an angle grinder ?

Gren.T
gonromin
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : executive
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Wed May 26, 2021 9:55 am

Unfortunately hI have not got one. Going for the drill, hammer and chisel, punch and patience route. Tally ho!
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 26, 2021 10:00 am

Is there a HSS hire shop near you to hire a small angle grinder, would be worth the hire cost for time saved

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Wed May 26, 2021 3:58 pm

Nearest one 24 miles. One of the joys of living in the dales is that everything is an hour away. Still thanks hadn't thought of that.
pootler
pootler

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Sat May 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Just as an update. I bought a metal grinding disc that I could fit onto my drill. I ground off both ends of the rivet and eventually, using a good quality drill bit, drilled out the rivet, or at least as much as I needed to. I was then able to fit pads supplied by Coastal Motor Homes. They actually knew what I wanted when Peugeot basically hadn't got a clue what I was asking for. I reckon I could do the next one in about half an hour, the first two took much longer but experience is king. Thanks.
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down