The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato

+3
Kemerton-bath
TonyB
Jouster
7 posters

Go down

Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato  Empty Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato

Post by Jouster Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:40 pm

Have just taken delivery of a new Warwick Xl based on Ducato with the auto box and notice that the bottom rear leaf seems to be floating. On a new Peugot Boxer the dual leafs are closed and fastened together at each end as I would have expected. Does anyone know why the Fiat variant has an open spring?

Last edited by Jouster on Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong info)
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl mq
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato  Empty Re: Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato

Post by TonyB Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:52 pm

Hi,unless theres been a change,I think they use different chassis.The Boxer Warwick XL of my years were on the heavy chassis,but the Fiat used the medium rated chassis.This may account for different spring choice.
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato  Empty Re: Rear leaf suspension on new Boxer and Ducato

Post by Jouster Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:43 pm

Ok thanks for that when I next speak to dealer will try and clarify.
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:14 pm

We've recently taken delivery of a 2020 Kemerton XL on the Ducato and as far as I can tell the rear leaf springs are the same configuration as our last two Boxers, ie floating as you describe. 

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Jouster Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:48 pm

Hi I was motivated to post this question as there was a 22 plate Peugot boxer Warwick xl on our camp site with the closed leaf springs.
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:20 am

So is this what you call floating. This is a Peugeot boxer xl and has the 2nd helper leaf spring and the pad in between[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Jouster Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:12 pm

Thanks for your reply. No they are not like that. The lower leaf is only attached in the middle with each end having a pad and a gap of a few inches between the pads and the upper leaf. I would post a picture but so far have been unable to see how this can be achieved.
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:39 pm

The 2 leaf Rear spring for Peugeot boxer 290 and fiat Ducato and only gets secured by the u bolts . My picture was a loaded van so the pad is touching and has no gape
Thank Paul for showing the member how to post the picture[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Jouster Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:00 pm

Thanks for the help with posting picture which hopefully will appear magically in this reply.
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jouster Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:12 pm

A better picture. It is worth adding that it has a towbar fitted and with the bike rack/ bikes and towbar all on the van that’s about an additional 70 Kgs on the back and overall the van is nearly up to weight 3.5t in that picture less driver and passenger. However tanks were probably about half full as we were on site. So we’ll loaded.Whether having the airbags on the rear suspension makes a difference to configuration I have no idea.

Last edited by Jouster on Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More information)
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:52 am

When we first enquired about the Fiat auto at the NEC we were told the one on display was on the medium chassis and they don't have the plastic front wheel arch trims. As our Peugeot Kingham was on the heavy chassis I was concerned about payload as we had it upgraded tp 3800KG, Was told that we could have the Fiat on the heavy chassis for an extra £400.00. I also asked if I could have the silver wheels (as on the Peugeot) and the centre cup holders replaced with the glove box, no problem they said. When time came to order it I was told none of it was possible but they could update it to 3650KG. After a long chat with SV tech they said it should go to 4000KG but without the Vin number they couldn't be sure. I questioned the wheels as they all come out of the same factory but being the same size the bolt spacing is different. I find the rear suspension a bit softer and a better ride than the Peugeot even with two electric bikes on the tow bar rack and still within the rear axle weight running the airbags at 2 bar.
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Bendog Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:40 am

The extra leave spring I believe is fitted by AS when they fit the air bags.
Bendog
Bendog

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Jouster Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 am

Thanks for your replies
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:03 am

The leaf spring is standard fitted by Fiat, also fitted to the Peugeot on the medium chassis.
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Jouster Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:08 am

Thanks for your input 👍
Jouster
Jouster

Male

Back to top Go down