The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Warwick Duo

+2
IanH
SallyB
6 posters

Go down

2017 Warwick Duo Empty 2017 Warwick Duo

Post by SallyB Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am

My Duo has a barbecue gas outlet on the nearside rear. Does anyone know if this can be used to supply gas to the van via an external regulated bottle,
Or is there a one way device somewhere in the circuit?
Alternatively, has anyone modded or fitted an external gas inlet to their vehicle.
Mine has onboard gas but a fall back facility could prove useful.
SallyB
SallyB
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

2017 Warwick Duo Empty Re: 2017 Warwick Duo

Post by Guest Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:50 am

some say this is ok....some dont...
however, Gaslow make a particular hose to link an external bottle to your proper gas filler point to be used for this exact purpose.
many on long stay sites link standing bottles tomtheir refillable systems....
iits designed for a refillable bottle system, cant say if it works with an underslung tank..others may know.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:36 pm

Imho NO.
Youve already got a 20l gas tank.
NEVER mess around with gas!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:11 pm

Yes I used said hose..it works well, however because Themas goes through the underslung.....that gets emptied fast than the bottle in use....

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by roger7webster Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm

A regulated gas supply through the BBQ gas valve is safe and ok. Dont be put of by the nay sayers
roger7webster

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2012 Sussex EB panel
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:17 pm

the idea of the Gaslow hose is that it doesnt need a regulator as it sends the gas into the system on the input side of the van's own bulkhead regulator...just as you would connect any other bottle to a van thus equipped.
the issue with connecting to the gas output point (where a regulator is needed) is that some bright spark might see it, copy it, but not realise it need the regulator....whoops!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:22 pm

OP ... you’d be wise to direct your query to someone like GasIt, ie a professional gas designer/producer/installer.  A forum is the last place to go for advice on this topic, however well-meaning it might be. It pops up occasionally on here and I invariably flinch at some of the responses. Messing with gas doesn’t just place the first person at risk, but all those within the blast radius. I don’t want to be on the next pitch, or even the same campground as someone who’s jury rigged their gas refilling.

Professionals working with gas systems are subject to a raft of regulations and safe practices, whether in vehicles or in buildings, so I’m at a loss to understand quite why anyone thinks it’s OK to adapt a gas system to achieve something that the designer never intended. Call me a nay sayer (as one respondent suggests) but I’ve no doubt an insurer and a court of law would take a similar view in the aftermath of a catastrophic outcome.

Hopefully a moderator will be along shortly to close down this potentially dangerous thread.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Cymro and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 pm

Quite apart from the potential danger here, I simply can't understand the following:-
1 Why would you want to do this?
2 Why would you need to do this?
3 Assuming you plan to carry the gas bottle to be plugged into the BBQ point, where, on a Warwick Duo would you safely carry it?
4 How would you vent the underside of that compartment, propane is heavier than air
5 How would you secure what is a heavy object, certainly shouldn't be rolling around loose.
6 How would you plan to get this on either a ferry or Eurotunnel?

I'm a design engineer and always tell this small tale re gas.........

A man is flying along in his aeroplane when the engine stopped. He decides to jump out, does so and pulls his parachute ripcord. Nothing happens.
Much to his surprise whilst plummeting earthwards, he sees another man going the other way, straight up! Shouts across to him, "do you know anything about parachutes?" The other guy answers back, NO do you know anything about gas ovens..............................

Totally agree with  Tim above BTW
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:50 pm

the Gaslow reserve cylinder connection hose (pictured) is a pukka Gaslow product...
the reason someone would use it is that, if their van is parked long term on a winter site, it enables a local cylinder to be properly connected to the van, thus negating the need to move to a LPG pump for a refill.
its a product designed by the leading refillable brand specifically for the job, to make use of the on board bulkhead regulator and certainly not a jury rigged lash up...
close the thread, why?
now, back feeding through a gas outlet....that's another story.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 pm

That’s correct Chris....I use it for that very reason...it’s quite safe..My M/H was attached to a Spanish bottle for 5 months..

Unfortunately some people just don’t see the reasoning of using a hose designed for that very purpose...
Just give up trying to push the logic!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 am

Be Clear - This Forum accepts no responsibility for the information contained in this thread 

Fittings and connections should only be used for the purpose they were designed to do.
There is a photograph above showing the route of gas INTO the van. Consider the BBQ point as a way of getting Gas OUT of the van.

The BBQ point should be on the supply side of the regulator. The regulator SHOULD contain a Non Return Valve in its design. End of Story.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

IanH and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down