The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway

+2
burlingtonboaby
BobJstone
6 posters

Go down

Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway Empty Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway

Post by BobJstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi, hopefully someone can help. I need to replace the leisure battery in my 2016 Stanway. The battery is under the rear seat which converts to become the bed. The wooden slats and framework have to be removed before the battery can be lifted out. Question is do the wooden slats come out without removing the whole framework. I don't want to force them just in case they are not meant to pop out. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : STANWAY
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway Empty Re: Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Not familiar with the Stanway Bob, my Warwick rear bench seats lift up from the side allowing access, i carnt visualise your layout.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway Empty Re: Removal of leisure battery on a Stanway

Post by BobJstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Thank you. My one lifts from the end, unfortunately the battery is at the hinge end.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Can you take a picture of the battery box at a distance in context with its location and post that?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Would it not be easier to remove the metal frame?  Leaving the slats in place?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Might well have to remove the whole frame as the slats are attached to the frame. Was hoping there was an easier way!!!!! The slats are pushed into the metal frame and don't want to force them out in case they break. The metal frame lifts up but can only go up 45 degrees . It really is a very awkward set up but if the back slats which are above the battery can be removed easily it would mean the battery and its replacement can be lifted straight up without any problem. Hence my dilemma. Thank you all so far.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:15 pm

BobJstone wrote: The metal frame lifts up but can only go up 45 degrees . It really is a very awkward set up but if the back slats which are above the battery can be removed easily it would mean the battery and its replacement can be lifted straight up without any problem. Hence my dilemma. Thank you all so far.

I agree, it is an absolutely bonkers design.

The thing doesn't even stay up on its own, you need to hold it in the air rolleyes

I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid, apart from simply removing the whole thing, which will probably be easier and will give you 100% access.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

BobJstone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:14 am

Hi Roger, quite agree about the bonkers design. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the whole thing. What should have been a 5 minute job now looks like an afternoon one. Oh well not going anywhere at the moment anyway. Many thanks everyone. Stay well!
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:40 am

i take it this is the front dinette youre referring to? do you have a photo? 
most beds with sprung slats have plastic end caps that can be popped out so as to change (say) a broken slat. are yours like this...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:47 am

They are exactly like that. There seems to be some sort of peg under the plastic cap end, attached to it, that goes into the framework ?
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:26 am

AFAIK these can just be pulled out...they need a good tug but may be able to squeeze/push up from underneath...
if a slat got broken youd need to be able to remove one of these so they do come out.
good luck.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:44 am

In Chris' photo, you can see the downward facing plastic peg underneath has a step in it, allowing it to click into place.    Reach down through the slats and push the two pegs inwards to free them and then pull up. up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

BobJstone and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:46 am

the video show 'an engineer' removing a slat and holder...gently prising upwards with a flat bladed screwdriver...
perhaps a bit of both...prising and squeezing...he raises a good point that they can be a bit brittle if it's cold where you are...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 am

If lifting up bed base is supported when open by 2 gas struts (as per Warwick, no idea re Stanway) these can be easily disconnected at bed top end, slide the tiny split ring round or remove it (VERY carefully, these things are capable of space flight!) then pop the ball, seat/bed base will now open 90+ degrees, hold up with masking tape.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:35 am

Sadly no such luxuries as gas struts, on either of the Stanway bench seats.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

BobJstone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobJstone Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am

That's great, many thanks everyone. Now to pluck up the courage to start prising them up.
BobJstone
BobJstone

Male

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down